Trade: [BOS/SD] Red Sox acquire Kimbrel

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If this is the price for a reliever, what's Dombrowski going to give up for a starter?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd like to think so but who knows how high they're willing to go.

They could have saved a lot of money and top prospects if they had just paid Lester and Miller last offseason.

This is true...and unfortunately they have to fix that mistake now.

I can see them ponying up to land a big fish via FA

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Cash. They'll get one of the big FA names.

Pretty sure the Sox are already creeping up on the tax as is. They just added $11M in Kimbrel. After arb, they'll be right around ~$165M.

If they're going for one of the big arms (hell, any starting arms, for that matter, they're over), they're going waaaaaay over the tax.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty sure the Sox are already creeping up on the tax as is. They just added $11M in Kimbrel. After arb, they'll be right around ~$165M.

If they're going for one of the big arms (hell, any starting arms, for that matter, they're over), they're going waaaaaay over the tax.

Well...the SP is the most obvious weakness, they're going to have to go over the tax line, unless they find a taker for HanRam or Pablo (unlikely on either)

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the red sox went to 6/135 on lester and he went for more money.

a lot is made of the spring training offer that they made him but i said many times on the red sox threads that i don't think he would have signed so much as a ****ing birthday card that spring. he was going to the market. henry didn't want to give long term contracts to pitchers like lester anymore.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
They could have saved a lot of money and top prospects if they had just paid Lester and Miller last offseason.

Well sure - because we all just knew that Miller was going to go from a very good middle reliever / set up guy with Boston to a stud closer with the Yankees. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well sure - because we all just knew that Miller was going to go from a very good middle reliever / set up guy with Boston to a stud closer with the Yankees. :laugh:

Well, the talent evaluation/coaching may be something to work on there considering how many closers Boston keeps trading for and then shipping out when they struggle.

Hanrahan for Melancon being a favorite of mine.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

2014 version of Miller was every bit as good as 2015 Miller.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think most people did know he was a stud before the Yankees signed him. That's why the Red Sox managed to get Eduardo Rodriguez in return and why he got the type of contract he did once he hit free agency.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
keith law pretty much nailed it for me

For Boston, even if you think it's fair value because you believe that the ninth inning is some super-woo time that only the few and the proud can handle, the Red Sox just traded two of their most valuable minor league assets for a 60-inning reliever … which means they can't trade them for something else they need, like a high-end starter. It's not a great start for the new regime's first offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad