Trade: [BOS/SD] Red Sox acquire Kimbrel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pretty hard to compare the stats of a middle reliever / set up man to a closer.

To a certain extent "Guy pitches good = Guy pitches good"

No one was surprised that Miller pitched well for the Yankees this year. It's because he pitched well the year before as well. Maybe it wasn't exactly expected that he would excel to the degree that he did but it's not like it came out of nowhere.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
To a certain extent "Guy pitches good = Guy pitches good"

No one was surprised that Miller pitched well for the Yankees this year. It's because he pitched well the year before as well. Maybe it wasn't exactly expected that he would excel to the degree that he did but it's not like it came out of nowhere.

Yeah he was lights out in 2014.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Baffling to give that much for a reliever. Sox should've just waited to pay for O'Day in FA.

And the Braves version of Kimbrel was more dominant.

If this is the selling price for relievers, It'd be interesting to see what Miller and Betances can fetch in a trade.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
wow. clear win for the padres in this one

giving up that much for a closer, even if it's the best closer in the game is way too much

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Baffling to give that much for a reliever. Sox should've just waited to pay for O'Day in FA.

And the Braves version of Kimbrel was more dominant.

If this is the selling price for relievers, It'd be interesting to see what Miller and Betances can fetch in a trade.

To be fair, BJ Upton was in that deal too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah I think you have to understand that there were mitigating factors with the Braves-Padres trade. That said, lol Red Sox

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pretty hard to compare the stats of a middle reliever / set up man to a closer.

sure if all you look at are saves.

Good relievers become good closers all the time, but lets just pretend that suddenly a lot of pressure pitching the 9th might make Miller suck so lets not get him and a year later trade a ******** of prospects for someone who has proven to be able to handle that pressure :laugh:

A quality 8th inning guy shouldn't have any trouble becoming a quality closer, you're doing the same thing with a little extra pressure.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yeah no. Not enough prospect capital that the Reds want in return.

correction: have enough prospect capital, but not willing to trade it all for a ****ing closer. We're not the Red Sox, oh only winning 95% of games we led entering the 9th, better upgrade that 9th inning guy. Who needs 2 really good prospects, we need that extra 2 or 3% of wins when leading entering the 9th.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
correction: have enough prospect capital, but not willing to trade it all for a ****ing closer. We're not the Red Sox, oh only winning 95% of games we led entering the 9th, better upgrade that 9th inning guy. Who needs 2 really good prospects, we need that extra 2 or 3% of wins when leading entering the 9th.

No you don't.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No you don't.

Pompey isn't considered a prospect anymore by definition so I guess you could say we don't

but Pompey was a ~top 30 prospect before he wasn't eligible, Alford is top 100, those 2 would be pretty close to the Kimbrel package, and Chapman doesn't have the same control. MLB.com has Harris as top 100 too(I disagree). Toss in Guerrero, SRF, Tellez, we have enough.

Not that I would ever do it.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Pompey isn't considered a prospect anymore by definition so I guess you could say we don't

but Pompey was a ~top 30 prospect before he wasn't eligible, Alford is top 100, those 2 would be pretty close to the Kimbrel package, and Chapman doesn't have the same control. MLB.com has Harris as top 100 too(I disagree). Toss in Guerrero, SRF, Tellez, we have enough.

Not that I would ever do it.

Margot has more value than Pompey at this point.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

True but i think the point is that Pompey and Alford along with a low minor guy or two is enough to get the ball rolling you would think not that we have anything as good as Margot. I mean I don't think trading Pompey and Alford for Chapman is going to happen anyways I doubt the Jays are even going to be in on him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Margot might have more value than Pompey, Guerra more than Alford, if the Jays tossed in guys like Harris, SRF, Tellez, Guerrero that more than makes up for it

plus Kimbrel has 3 years left, Chapman doesn't. I'm sure the Reds are asking for what the Padres got and they might get it, but there is potential for less because of less term.

The point being if the Jays only goal was to get Chapman they have enough prospect capital to do it, I can't imagine the Reds saying no to something like Pompey, Alford, Guerrero, and Tellez.

The Jays would never do that, because they're not stupid but they have the guys to do it if that was their goal.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Im just waiting for rizzo to drop the bomb and get him. Unfortunately like i said before its too obvious for the nats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad