Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] F Elias Lindholm signs with the Bruins (7 years, $7.75M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lindholm is a great player but there is a chance he is outplayed by Zacha at this stage in their careers.
I would stick to drafting Marchand/Pastrnak if you were thinking about your fantasy team, and pay close attention during training camp to project which of those guys ends up on PP1.

Marchand Lindholm and Pasta are 1000000% locks for PP1. The net front guy and if Lorhei or McAvoy are on the point are undecided.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Marchand Lindholm and Pasta are 1000000% locks for PP1. The net front guy and if Lorhei or McAvoy are on the point are undecided.
That's what the Canucks thought they would do with Miller/Lindholm/Pettersson with Hughes/Hronek on the points but it didn't translate.
Hopefully it works out better for Lindholm with a complete training camp under him with his new teammates; Lindholm largely played shutdown C for the Canucks in the playoffs.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Lindholm is a poor man's Bergeron. Pasta will make Lindholm look better than he really is. It's a good (but not great) contract for the first 3-4 years, after that I think this contract looks really bad. Potentially being bought out by year 5.

With the cap expecting to see steady increases now that Escrow has been paid back, $7.75 million may not seem like a lot 5 years from now.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
This signing couldn't have been telegraphed more. Everyone knew this was the fit. He's a smart, 2 way centre who isn't going to drive the offense but the Bruins have wingers who can do that for him. I was definitely disappointed in his play in the regular season as a Canuck but he played great in the playoffs and was able to contribute at both ends with Garland and Joshua as his wingers.

He's not a 1C, but 1C's don't cost 7 million, they cost double digits. At this price tag and the fact that we have Pettersson and Miller ahead of him this was obviously not a fit here and that's fine. I'm happier with bringing back Blueger to fill the 3C and brining in Debrusk and Heinen at roughly the same combined price tag as Lindholm to fill in team needs.

Reactions: BronxBruin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That's what the Canucks thought they would do with Miller/Lindholm/Pettersson with Hughes/Hronek on the points but it didn't translate.
Hopefully it works out better for Lindholm with a complete training camp under him with his new teammates; Lindholm largely played shutdown C for the Canucks in the playoffs.

The Bruins have a glaring hole in the bumper position that Coyle or Zacha couldn’t fill. He played the exact same spot for the CGY powerplay. It’s 1000%. He ain’t competing with the guys on the Canucks. The Bruins PP is Pasta, Marchand and guys who shouldn’t be on a top PP1.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
This is one of those situations where I'm happy the Canucks didn't sign that, but I actually believe he will be worth that in Boston playing as their top centre.

The fit (on paper) is excellent and I think Lindholm will put up career numbers in the first few years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is one of those situations where I'm happy the Canucks didn't sign that, but I actually believe he will be worth that in Boston playing as their top centre.

The fit (on paper) is excellent and I think Lindholm will put up career numbers in the first few years.
the questionable part of this deal would be why he is a third line center in Vancouver and a top line center in Boston? Is it really that the fit is so good that Lindholm will rediscover his top form? It seems like there is certainly risk here for the Bruins.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
the questionable part of this deal would be why he is a third line center in Vancouver and a top line center in Boston? Is it really that the fit is so good that Lindholm will rediscover his top form? It seems like there is certainly risk here for the Bruins.

It was an unusual situation in Van though where Pettersson and Miller were better and Tocchet wanted to go three centres deep instead of moving one to wing. He still had a ton of ice time. But I do think there’s risk in whether he’ll be what they want. He’s a good player but I didn’t see a number 1 center, even in the playoffs. He won’t drive his own line, but he shouldn’t have to with Pastrnak.

Reactions: ratbid

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t know if Lindholm was the problem on the PP though. He was decent at times but the main guys were pretty crappy on the PP after the trade deadline and in the playoffs (even Hughes), so we didn’t get to see what he could have done if they were rolling like they can.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was an unusual situation in Van though where Pettersson and Miller were better and Tocchet wanted to go three centres deep instead of moving one to wing. He still had a ton of ice time. But I do think there’s risk in whether he’ll be what they want. He’s a good player but I didn’t see a number 1 center, even in the playoffs. He won’t drive his own line, but he shouldn’t have to with Pastrnak.
it seems a lot hinges on how well he gels with Pastranak. Lindholm's game fell apart before Vancouver got him as well, after he wasn't part of that amazing line of Tkachuk-Lindholm-Gaudreau. I don't think it is possible that Lindholm was simply along for the ride, but it does seem like he needs to play with elite forwards for him to produce offense, and yet not just any forwards. He had good forwards in Calgary after losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau too.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Though this contract is way too much and im glad the Canucks didnt sign it, I will still miss Lindy in Van.

- Excellent PKer, huge on faceoffs
- Very cerebral and always in the right position
- Gets under players skin because he is in your space defensively. Draisaittl wanted to kill him.
- Not very agile or explosive, relies on positioning and smart to score points.
- Can't create or carry his own line, will need someone to carry him.
- I'd say he is a 2C or elite 3C at this point.

I'm sure once it comes to playoff time, Boston will love him and wont care about the AAV.

I think at this point, Boston can expect a couple of sparked 60/70 point season before his production declines even more. The last 3-4 years of this contract wont be pretty.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not surprised by the contract, i kinda wondered if he'd get to 8 honestly, just many C's of his caliber come available.

He'll fit well there, dont think the contract will be an issue for awhile.
I would have preferred $7x
Van fan here. Lindy is great... i think its a bit rich of a contract BUT if he meshes with his wingers and gets back to 70 pts + then its worth it. his play away from the puck is top tier
Paste an will be riding shotgun with him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Boston needed a 1-2 Center, it was very glaring in the playoffs. Allows Coyle and Zacha to slot in to more accurately to where they belong. I would not be surprised if Boston is not done yet, sends a positive message to the rest of the group they want to win sooner than later.

The Zadorov signing like better. He will fit in nicely, D was already hard to play against.
He'll help McAvoy by cutting down on extended cycle times in Boston's zone.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Lindholm and Zadorov are both unicorns for different reasons.
The Canucks gave 7 pieces to acquire them from Calgary and they played around 60 games total for the team including the playoffs.
They were the top playoff performers on a team that had a decent playoff run.
After the playoffs both Lindholm and Zadorov were effusive, during their exit interviews reagarding their desires to resign with the Canucks
Only the "Intelligentsia" of the Canucks can explain why they refused to offer the term requested by the players.
The Canucks instead signed a plethora of lesser players whose salaries pretty much match what the Bruins are paying Lindholm and Zadorov.
Two things for sure are Brad Marchand will be even braver next year with Zadorov on the team and when Tocchet searcher the bench for someone to take a draw on the right side late in the game, Lindholm won't be there.
Overall, their loss is the Bruins gain.
The hope in Vancouver is that it doesn't turn into a Cam Neely-like situation.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
This signing couldn't have been telegraphed more. Everyone knew this was the fit. He's a smart, 2 way centre who isn't going to drive the offense but the Bruins have wingers who can do that for him. I was definitely disappointed in his play in the regular season as a Canuck but he played great in the playoffs and was able to contribute at both ends with Garland and Joshua as his wingers.

He's not a 1C, but 1C's don't cost 7 million, they cost double digits. At this price tag and the fact that we have Pettersson and Miller ahead of him this was obviously not a fit here and that's fine. I'm happier with bringing back Blueger to fill the 3C and brining in Debrusk and Heinen at roughly the same combined price tag as Lindholm to fill in team needs.
Pasta has always played well with those types of centers, too. A lot of his goals came off Bergy/Krejci making a smart play in transition and him catching teams off guard. I think he, Zacha and Lindholm will mesh really well.

You'll like Debrusk and Heinen. Debrusk will drive you nuts with his consistent inconsistency, but he's really clutch and his personality is a lot of fun. Heinen is a "warm body" in the best way. Will very rarely wow you, but he'll do anything and do it well. Great 3rd liner, he had to flex into a top-6 role several times to cover injuries and he always was able to keep up and produce.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
The Canucks gave up the following in return for renting Zadorov and Lindholm:
Kuzmenko (25 pts in 29 gp with Calgary)
Brzustewicz
1st rd pick
3rd rd pick
4th rd pick
5th rd pick
After including the Mikheyev trade, they also lost a 2nd rounder and Lafferty. The only remaining piece from any of these deals is the salary that they had to eat for Mikheyev. Somewhat poor asset management.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I can't get over how terrible this deal is. It's even worse than I thought. My god.

At this stage in his career, and what Lindholm can bring, he is ideally a contender's 3C. This is a catastrophic contract to hand out to that type of player.

Is it still 2018-19? Damn, it's been a long year.
He scored 42 in 21-22… not saying it’s likely but it’s not a dogs age ago either.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
The Canucks gave up the following in return for renting Zadorov and Lindholm:
Kuzmenko (25 pts in 29 gp with Calgary)
Brzustewicz
1st rd pick
3rd rd pick
4th rd pick
5th rd pick
After including the Mikheyev trade, they also lost a 2nd rounder and Lafferty. The only remaining piece from any of these deals is the salary that they had to eat for Mikheyev. Somewhat poor asset management.
I'd prefer my team take swings like that when the team is flirting with 1st in the league at the halfway point. Some rentals are just rentals, no need to sign a bad contract just because.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You said that 7x7 would be fine in the Lindholm thread, is the extra 750k really that much of a dealbreaker? You also have a post in May saying that Zadorov at 5 mil would make sense, despite saying today in the Zadorov signing thread that 5 mil “seems like a lot for a number 5 defenseman.” You are literally exemplifying exactly what my post was about lol.
I was fine with $7x7 to keep Lindholm. I also agree that given his performance last year that was a large number. I also thought that $5m could work for Zadorov. But response was specific to Canucks fans and not me. If you went to the thread I pointed you to, the consensus was not to sign Lindholm. Like I said in the post. I guess trolls troll and douches douche. But this i got you moment your looking for isn’t there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad