Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
I like Backes....but I think having him play wing may not be the best fit for him.... I do like him for Boston because Krecji had been hurt so many times in the last couple years but I think playing him on the wing may not be ideal for him...

I don't think he's going to be happy playing 3C with added PK or PP roles..

This myth that David Krejci is injury prone is somewhat hilarious to me. He has had exactly one(1) season in which he missed more than 10 games to injury since he came into the league full time to start the 08-09 season. He partially tore his left MCL against the Blues in '15 and missed a chunk of time. His other injuries have either been ones that need surgery during the offseason and can be played through(his hip this year) or ones that cause him to miss games in the postseason(broken wrist in '10 against PHI),. Even with this hip injury this year he coasted to 60+ points and played all situations.

Also, Backes came in and called into the local radio station and expressly spoke about how he will be playing both wing and center spots. He was told he'll be playing on a line with Bergeron and Marchand at times when they need to clamp down, and he'll also be centering the 3rd line when Julien needs to shake it up a bit. I'm willing to bet you see Bergeron, Krejci and Backes at roughly 17-18 minutes a game each. Which will be more than enough.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It's been 2 weeks and I still can't get over how bad of a signing this is. 36 million and 6 years for a 32 year old banger whose play has dropped off the past 2 years. Hopefully the same GM will give us a haul for Shatty.

I really hope they eventually stop moving the cap up.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's been 2 weeks and I still can't get over how bad of a signing this is. 36 million and 6 years for a 32 year old banger whose play has dropped off the past 2 years. Hopefully the same GM will give us a haul for Shatty.

Hahaha, I guess you're not the Blues guy who always staunchly defended this overpaid goon-crybaby.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

It's 30 million and 5 years.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

1) its 5 years
2) Backes's zone start uptick the last two years tells me a ton about his numbers. I'm not too worried about it as he will likely wing one of the best possession lines in hockey and/or center a third line against lesser competition.
3) The Bruins have zero cap issues
4) Clearly they are not giving you a "haul" or he would have already been traded.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hahaha, I guess you're not the Blues guy who always staunchly defended this overpaid goon-crybaby.

This is one reason I'm happy to see Backes go....now Boston can deal with clownshoe posts like this.

Enjoy

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It just seems "odd" to me that the Bruins "held the line" with 30 YO Loui Ericsson on contract term, but instead make a long term commitment to Backes that takes him to 37. Especially when LE's the better player IMO, and less likely to have his game deteriorate based on his style of play.

I can acknowledge that Sweeney defender's can point to LE's concussion as an area of concern, as well as Backes' ability to play a shut down center role as a positive for the team

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It just seems "odd" to me that the Bruins "held the line" with 30 YO Loui Ericsson on contract term, but instead make a long term commitment to Backes that takes him to 37. Especially when LE's the better player IMO, and less likely to have his game deteriorate based on his style of play.

I can acknowledge that Sweeney defender's can point to LE's concussion as an area of concern, as well as Backes' ability to play a shut down center role as a positive for the team

They will be disappointed with Backes then.....those brains are scrambled. He hasn't looked remotely the same after the Seabrooks hit

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
They will be disappointed with Backes then.....those brains are scrambled. He hasn't looked remotely the same after the Seabrooks hit

He looked pretty good in this years playoffs, no?

I think Backes is a damn near perfect fit for Boston. Julien will love him and probably use him similar to Eriksson, lots of icetime, all situations. Backes and Eriksson have different styles but are very simular in the way they score the majority of their goals come from standing in front of the net and are both are excellent defensive players.

Eriksson is a brain on skates, his IQ, anticipation, defenceive stickwork, ability to hang in front of the net, and soft hands to score from there are his strongest assets. Backes seems more like a bull on skates, North-south player with decent skill who would rather push the pace instead of adapting to it.

If Backes heads to the net and sticks around deflecting pucks and cleans up the garbage like he did in the playoffs for St. Louis he can easily put up 25+ goals playing with any of the Bruins 3 centers. Either that or can shift to 3rd line center to create the best 123 punch of 2way centers in the league with him, Bergeron, and Krejci.

Not a fan of the contract but I have always admired Backes' game from afar and am willing to wait and see how he performs before judging this deal.

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011

I think Backes is a damn near perfect fit for Boston. Julien will love him and probably use him similar to Eriksson, lots of icetime, all situations. Backes and Eriksson have different styles but are very simular in the way they score the majority of their goals come from standing in front of the net and are both are excellent defensive players.

Eriksson is a brain on skates, his IQ, anticipation, defenceive stickwork, ability to hang in front of the net, and soft hands to score from there are his strongest assets. Backes seems more like a bull on skates, North-south player with decent skill who would rather push the pace instead of adapting to it.

If Backes heads to the net and sticks around deflecting pucks and cleans up the garbage like he did in the playoffs for St. Louis he can easily put up 25+ goals playing with any of the Bruins 3 centers. Either that or can shift to 3rd line center to create the best 123 punch of 2way centers in the league with him, Bergeron, and Krejci.

Not a fan of the contract but I have always admired Backes' game from afar and am willing to wait and see how he performs before judging this deal.

I feel like a lot of people are writing him off for some odd reason. His playoff success this past season isn't something I would bank on, but he's still a solid 2nd line player, at worst. He can hold his own on any line, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQJP2rdReg

He's not going to light the world on fire with his shots, but he's money in front of the net, especially on the powerplay.

The deal might hurt in the last 2 to 3 years, but he's certainly not as bad as some people seem to make him out to be.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's what they were saying about Eriksson after John Scott concussed him.

We've had 2 years to watch Backes. He isn't the same player he use to be. Doesn't mean hell be a disaster though

It depends on expectations honestly. He isn't as much of a physical force as he use to be. Last year we saw more of his hockey IQ then brute strength.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Eriksson's a different player, I'm not sure he's a "better" player than Backes. Backes puts up around the same amount of points and provides a host of intangibles Eriksson doesn't have. I would agree that Eriksson will probably have a gentler decline based on style of play, but isn't that one of the reasons why the Bruins went in another direction? They wanted to get tougher to play against?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
We've had 2 years to watch Backes. He isn't the same player he use to be. Doesn't mean hell be a disaster though

It depends on expectations honestly. He isn't as much of a physical force as he use to be. Last year we saw more of his hockey IQ then brute strength.

Backes' production has been very consistent over the course of his career. He's a 20+ goal scorer and usually good for 50 points (which I think he will easily get on the Bruins over the course of the next few seasons). Doesn't your point of Backes' shift in approach to the game temper some of the concerns about his durability and steep decline physically? I think people forget that Backes has a good mind for the game. He's not a goon on skates that lucks out when it comes to production. Those skills should translate well to a "kinder" role on Boston.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes' production has been very consistent over the course of his career. He's a 20+ goal scorer and usually good for 50 points (which I think he will easily get on the Bruins over the course of the next few seasons). Doesn't your point of Backes' shift in approach to the game temper some of the concerns about his durability and steep decline physically? I think people forget that Backes has a good mind for the game. He's not a goon on skates that lucks out when it comes to production. Those skills should translate well to a "kinder" role on Boston.

5x6 though....that the problem, especially with the declining concerns. That's alot to pay a 50pt player. As for durability, that's taken a big hit imo. Half of the year it seems he's nursing an injury

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

Backes on RW in Boston with a better center than St Louis has sounds a lot like the Jarome Iginla experiment a few years ago.

And if someone goes down he plays center due to his versatility.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We'll see, St Louis offered him 4 years they still wanted him.

I'm a Backes fan, love the guy. Would've loved him at 4 years, $20 million. I believe that final year or 2 in that deal would've been rough, but that's not my point. You just indicated it could be like Iginla, that's not what's it going to be like. Iginla even at the point where he was was still a better offensive player than Backes ever has been. Backes will likely get 45-50ish points IMO, less if he plays 3rd line center more than RW with Bergeron. He's just not the same bull that he used to be. Still a very good physical player, but trust us, it isn't the same. In some ways that is a good thing, but between playing less physical, and losing a step, his effectiveness is going down.

Last edited:

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
I'm a Backes fan, love the guy. Would've loved him at 4 years, $20 million. I believe that final year or 2 in that deal would've been rough, but that's not my point. You just indicated it could be like Iginla, that's not what's it going to be like. Iginla even at the point where he was was still a better offensive player than Backes ever has been. Backes will likely get 45-50 points IMO, less if he plays 3rd line center more than RW with Bergeron.

I didn't say identical i said a lot like.
Physical right hand shot scorer. He doesn't need to post the exact numbers.
He'll be fine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
5x6 though....that the problem, especially with the declining concerns. That's alot to pay a 50pt player. As for durability, that's taken a big hit imo. Half of the year it seems he's nursing an injury

That's the going rate for a UFA of Backes' ilk. That's more a product of the NHL's screwed up economics than Backes' value as player IMO. Lingering injury concerns or not, Backes still had a good year and finished strong with a tremendous playoff. He'll also have less wear and tear playing on the Bruins and in the Eastern Conference. I actually envision an uptick in production-at least for the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad