Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] D Nikita Zadorov signs with the Bruins (6 years, $5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
People are gonna act like he’s a pylon, but that isn’t true, he serviceable defensively and he’s an animal.

Bruins fans will love him, until it’s time to ship him out, and he’ll be a pylon again, nature of the beast.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Zadorov is one of my favorite players in the league - his personality and penchant for laying big hits makes it hard not to love the guy - but the main knock against him is that he just never took that elusive next step to become a truly intimidating and dangerous blue-liner.

$5M isn't crazy these days for a guy of his caliber, but I know I'd not want him back in Colorado for that, regardless of cap space.

I expect Bruins fans will absolutely love the guy initially then gradually come to be frustrated by him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I would not have minded this signing if it were for my team so I think it's completely fine. There is a good chance that Zadorov has found another step. He showed really well over his time in Vancouver.

It sounds really biased which it probably is, but I feel like he was likelier to reach another level in Vancouver than somewhere else with the coaching he was receiving. He looked every bit of a #2/3 at times.

Time will tell. I bet this ends up being a very appreciated signing and contract for the B's
I think the playoffs have given people some kind of Mandela effect.
He was a #5-6 guy who often had the lowest ice time and never played tough minutes.
It's fascinating to see how this guy has been cast in lore because he made the oilers look like little bitches.
There's a reason we paid a 3rd for him.
That being said it was pure Bliss watching him push those pansies around.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I expected a team to give Zadorov a contract like this. I didn't expect it to be a team like Boston, that typically makes smart moves. Zadorov is the kind of guy that looks like he should be able to be a top pair guy based on his tools, but he's struggled almost any time he has gotten on the 2nd pair, let alone the top.
He won't need to be that guy. just to play to his strength will make him a more consistent player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Probably a year too long a 1M per too high, which is the standard going rate for contracts handed out on July 1st.

This contract won’t be bad until it is.

Reactions: Kalus

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I think the playoffs have given people some kind of Mandela effect.
He was a #5-6 guy who often had the lowest ice time and never played tough minutes.
It's fascinating to see how this guy has been cast in lore because he made the oilers look like little bitches.
There's a reason we paid a 3rd for him.
That being said it was pure Bliss watching him push those pansies around.

I think there's a good argument that Zadorov has always been a somewhat undervalued/underutilized player and somewhat of a late bloomer.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
To Bruins fans:

"Overpayment, only bottom pairing, gets shredded"

Often means:

"He hurt us and our players and I hate that big jerk"
Feel free to go look up his official TOI numbers if you don't believe other posters. It's all in black-and-white and it's quite stark. He spends more time on the third pairing than anywhere else.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
He gives the bruins something that they needed (physicality on the backend) and a bit of intimidation, they love that style and chose to pay for it. Fans will love him hopefully he adapts well to their structure as it’s possible there system will hide some of his lapses

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think the contract is very much too rich for what he does on the ice, and I bet Bruins fans are also going to feel it with this salary cap. For me, he's a third pairing guy, who occasionally can spot for 2nd pair. In the playoffs, he excels.

But man, you got the best personality of the NHL. He's quote machine, a real locker room jester. Media will love him, fans as well. And for me, he will always get points for being one of the few Russians to be outspoken against Putin and especially the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I have always maintained I wanted him back to Colorado, but he has had his pricetag inflated. And that's why he keeps changing teams. Milstein does a good job. But the backend of this deal could actually look, decent? If the salary cap keeps going up aggressively.

I will forever call him big Z, like I did when he played for Colorado. Hoping for many wins against the Leafs, big hits, and funny quotes.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bruins fans, you're going to love him. He's a brain fart defenceman with the puck and puck watches sometimes leading to goals against, but he's one of the best off-the-rush defenders in the league. Kept McDavid in his back pocket when he was on the Avs. Also, he plays the style that Boston fans love, a 500 kg dose of Vitamin Z to the opposing team.

E: Be fully expected of him trying to go crossbar and down on every shot which leads to him missing the net at least 95% of the time lol. But he has a confidence and swag that rivals even the most prominent dragon energy blokes.

Reactions: Grantham

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You will hate it soon. Zadorov makes more mistakes than good plays.

That might have been accurate when Zadorov was 25/26. But in the last few years, he has matured and is a well rounded physical D now. At age 29 this season, he is someone most teams would love to have on their playoff roster.

Bruins know what they are doing. I wouldn't bet against them bud.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not when you consider contracts and ages.

Signed till age 34. That's not terrible. Difficult to know the decline factor from 30-34 for most guys but Zadorov's game is not build on puck moving/skating. I'm sure he will be fine for the type of style he plays.

Chiarot is 33 heading into this season. Decent signing for the Wings. Not flashy at all but he gets the job done. Zadorov is a bit better so I think he ages well when you look at the physical D types.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Signed till age 34. That's not terrible. Difficult to know the decline factor from 30-34 for most guys but Zadorov's game is not build on puck moving/skating. I'm sure he will be fine for the type of style he plays.

Chiarot is 33 heading into this season. Decent signing for the Wings. Not flashy at all but he gets the job done. Zadorov is a bit better so I think he ages well when you look at the physical D types.
I have been watching zadorov every game until he got traded to the Canucks. My eyes are lying to me then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have been watching zadorov every game until he got traded to the Canucks. My eyes are lying to me then.

Depends on what you are looking for sometimes. I would not bet against the Bruins strategy. Trust the Bruins management/strategy more than your own gut is my advise.

His giveaways/60 was 1.14 in the playoffs. Don't trust this stat? A little fair because it's not 100% accurate but if he was a giveaway king, that number would be reflected and much higher than 1.14.

70% D zone starts in the playoffs. That is crazy high like it was with Danault on the Habs run. 70% of D zone starts with the highest +/- on the Canucks in the playoffs for defenseman.

He's very much a solid top 4D who is physical. Hits and Blocks per 60 is attractive.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Depends on what you are looking for sometimes. I would not bet against the Bruins strategy. Trust the Bruins management/strategy more than your own gut is my advise.

His giveaways/60 was 1.14 in the playoffs. Don't trust this stat? A little fair because it's not 100% accurate but if he was a giveaway king, that number would be reflected and much higher than 1.14.

70% D zone starts in the playoffs. That is crazy high like it was with Danault on the Habs run. 70% of D zone starts with the highest +/- on the Canucks in the playoffs for defenseman.

He's very much a solid top 4D who is physical. Hits and Blocks per 60 is attractive.
He had a good playoff

Sorry I was watching him before that

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad