Bobby Hull

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
what would Bobby Hulls final statline look like if he never bolted for the WHA?

Assuming he played till say 79-80

Also in considering maybe if he never bolted which team would have traded for him considering the Hawks displeasure with him at the time regardless of his production.

My guess

900 goals

800 assists

1700 points

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
900 is pushing it.

This means 290 more goals in the NHL.

He had 303 goals in the WHA, a considerably weaker league. Sure, there were some NHL-level talent in the WHA, but most 'superstars' were good-but-not-great NHLers (Lacroix, Houle, Tardif, etc). Hedberg was a perennial 50+ goal scorer and slipped down to 30-35 when he joined the NHL.

Hull probably scores around 200 more in that span.

Reactions: Matsun

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
900 is pushing it.

This means 290 more goals in the NHL.

He had 303 goals in the WHA, a considerably weaker league. Sure, there were some NHL-level talent in the WHA, but most 'superstars' were good-but-not-great NHLers (Lacroix, Houle, Tardif, etc). Hedberg was a perennial 50+ goal scorer and slipped down to 30-35 when he joined the NHL.

Hull probably scores around 200 more in that span.

That’s being conservative if he stayed in Chicago

having Ratelle,Perrault,Dionne as his playmaking center potentially changes things IMO. Hypothetically.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
That’s being conservative if he stayed in Chicago

having Ratelle,Perrault,Dionne as his playmaking center potentially changes things IMO. Hypothetically.

Not sure that he wasn't more effected by his personal life than declining skills towards the end. Probably both, but I think he would have been productive through 1977-1978 at least.

He would have scored buckets of goals if Perreault was his center. They played very well together towards the end of the 1976 Canada Cup with Marcel Dionne. Perreault had started the tournament with Rick Martin and Guy Lafluer. Hull with Dionne and Esposito I believe... The lines were often switched around.

Please correct me if your memory is better than mine!

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
There was a very entertaining thread about him about a year and a half ago.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Bobby Hull would've put up some good numbers through the '70s in the NHL. He was lucky, though, as the '70s wasn't overly strong. If he were ten years younger, it would be a different story. He would have a much more difficult time surviving in the late '80s (faster, better defense) than the late '70s.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The golden (turd) jet of a person...
I think I'd be careful about judgements like this. We all know Hull had his failings in family-affairs and in some social situations (the latter was very well documented by the mid-70s, long before his domestic issues came to light), but the reality is there are likely dozens and dozens of well-known and highly respected NHLers over the years who had similar off-ice failings as Hull's. They just aren't as well documented.

And, as Bob Marley sang:
Judge not, before you judge yourself
Judge not, if you're not ready for judgement
The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too
So while you talk about [Hull], someone else is judging you

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Conn Smythe's litmus test: who'd you go in an alley with?

In a no rules-all guts fight to the end Bobby Hull is not anywhere near the list.

Ted Kennedy, Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Johnny Bucyk.

Heroes and winners in the trenches is what the war veteran demanded and respected.

We live in a different era...

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
what would Bobby Hulls final statline look like if he never bolted for the WHA?

Assuming he played till say 79-80

Also in considering maybe if he never bolted which team would have traded for him considering the Hawks displeasure with him at the time regardless of his production.

My guess

900 goals

800 assists

1700 points
I don't get it. Wiki has Hull at 903 reg seasons goals wha/nhl. You seem to say that there would have been no significant change if he stayed then. If Hull stayed, should we not expect less goals than 900,in a NHL v WHA tradeoff?

So, I'm guessing that your projection is more nuanced, like begin based on the players he would have stayed playing with or begun playing with in Chi?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A lot depends on Hull's health. You'd have to think that he scores fewer goals staying in the NHL (assuming with Chicago) but I do think he scores 200+ more NHL goals. Hull scored 50 goals in 1972, and as we saw in fall of 1976 at the Canada Cup he was still comparable to any of the best Canadian goal scorers. Mikita scored 164 goals during Hull's WHA career, and that's with roughly a whole season worth of games missed due to injury over that seven year span, so I'd be pretty confident that Hull can beat that comfortably if he has decent durability.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bobby Hull would've put up some good numbers through the '70s in the NHL. He was lucky, though, as the '70s wasn't overly strong. If he were ten years younger, it would be a different story. He would have a much more difficult time surviving in the late '80s (faster, better defense) than the late '70s.

Better defense in the late 80's?

I don't think so.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
70’s is a lower scoring era.
70’s - has a range 3.07-3.51 goals per game average.
80’s - has a range of 3.67-4.01 goals per game.

The highest g/GM in the 70’s is lower than the lowest g/GM in the 80’s.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There more to it (easy to age in or not) than league average scoring.

In 1988 there was no player over 36 and the 3 over 35 were HHOF type, Dionne, Robinson, Salming

The only player above 30 with more points than Dionne at #66 that year, (32) Dave Taylor (#62), (31) Trottier #30, (31) Federko at #20, (31) Stastny (#5)

When all those baby boomers entered the nhl it became a very young league and we can assume with how hard it did seem to be for older player to keep a job really competitive:
54o3uixp6bj61.png

Was it just because it was harder to keep on with more talents in it or just that a lot of new spots with expansion going to a lot of youngling. obviously if you are good enough to get a job as a scoring forward like old B.Hull would have been, you can gain from an higher scoring (but harder to get a good roster spot) league, even if it is an harder league to play in.

The nhl is much higher scoring now than 10 years ago, does not mean it is easier for the aging player to keep a first line and first pp unit job on a good team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveCanadian

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There more to it (easy to age in or not) than league average scoring.

In 1988 there was no player over 36 and the 3 over 35 were HHOF type, Dionne, Robinson, Salming

The only player above 30 with more points than Dionne at #66 that year, (32) Dave Taylor (#62), (31) Trottier #30, (31) Federko at #20, (31) Stastny (#5)

When all those baby boomers entered the nhl it became a very young league:
54o3uixp6bj61.png

Was it just because it was harder to keep on with more talents in it or just that a lot of new spots with expansion going to a lot of youngling
Ya that would be another point, why the 70’s is more defensive than the 80’s years.
Players 25 and under aren’t as good defensively as 25 and older players.
80’s being the highest scoring decade in the league.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The comment was in regard to the "late" 80s, not the 80s as a whole. There's a difference. The early-80s had (on average) very young players and very poorly structured defence, but defence was better and players older by the late 80s. I would guess parity was stronger in the late 80s, too.

Reactions: PrimumHockeyist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad