GDT: Bob McKenzie's List Live Show

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
100% agree. Though Leonard plays big, its easy to do so in the USHL. In the NHL he will be hard pressed to bully anyone. He will have to rely on his skill.

Which is why you select the most skilled player at 5OA - Michkov if he's available.
He could be a Rico tocchet type of player though

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think its a foregone conclusion that Michkov is guaranteed to become a star/superstar at the NHL level. He's not that far behind Bedard.
I still can't consider it a foregone conclusion. There have been so many can't miss busts in NHL history:

Daigle, Yakupov, Lafreniere?, etc...

Reactions: dcyhabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why? No russian draft prospect has produced what Michkov did in the KHL. He’s more NHL ready than any player in the draft IMO.
He's small and not that fast. I still have to see how his game translates to the North American ice surface. But I'm no expert.

And by the way, I'm a huge Michkov fan. I would go berserk if we drafted him - at 5 or moved up to 3 or 4 to grab him, all of which I'm in favor of.

Even if he busts or stays in Russia, I'll be happy we went for it.

Reactions: dcyhabs and Kaladin

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's small and not that fast. I still have to see how his game translates to the North American ice surface. But I'm no expert.

And by the way, I'm a huge Michkov fan. I would go berserk if we drafted him - at 5 or moved up to 3 or 4 to grab him, all of which I'm in favor of.

Even if he busts or stays in Russia, I'll be happy we went for it.
Michkov is listed at 5'10
Bedard is listed at 5'9 3/4

If he's too small for the NHL, then so is Bedard.

Michkov produced at a higher rate than any Russian draft eligible prospect ever in a men's professional league - KHL. Not even Ovechkin produced at Michkov's rate. Michkov is not far off from Bedard. The north american bias comes into play here.

Michkov and Bedard are the most NHL ready prospects in the draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Michkov is listed at 5'10
Bedard is listed at 5'9 3/4

If he's too small for the NHL, then so is Bedard.

Michkov produced at a higher rate than any Russian draft eligible prospect ever in a men's professional league - KHL. Not even Ovechkin produced at Michkov's rate. Michkov is not far off from Bedard. The north american bias comes into play here.

Michkov and Bedard are the most NHL ready prospects in the draft.
Bedard's measurement is official, Michkov's isn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Michkov is really 5'8 3/4.

There are tons of lies in published height measurements.

But, from watching Benson on the ice, I thought he was going to officially measure around 5'8 3/4 and he measured in at 5/9 3/4 at the combine. So I really don't know. But note, the fact is we just don't know. I wonder if Hughes measures him at their meeting in Nashville. Haha, pobably just gets an eyeball estimate.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bedard's measurement is official, Michkov's isn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Michkov is really 5'8 3/4.

There are tons of lies in published height measurements.
So let's re-cap.

Michkov is smaller than Bedard because we can't trust what is posted in pretty much every player site, which has him slightly taller.

Michkov is slow though you haven't seen him play in how long?

Michkov produced at a higher rate than any other Russion nhl draft-eligible prospect. I guess that's not true too because we can't trust statistical lies in published stats?

• Haha
Reactions: Twisted Sinister

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So let's re-cap.

Michkov is smaller than Bedard because we can't trust what is posted in pretty much every player site, which has him slightly taller.

Michkov is slow though you haven't seen him play in how long?

Michkov produced at a higher rate than any other Russion nhl draft-eligible prospect. I guess that's not true too because we can't trust statistical lies in published stats?

No, Michkov MAY be smaller and MAY be slower than he needs to be to be successful in the NHL.

And just because Michkov outproduced Ovechkin in the KHL, doesn't mean he will in the NHL. His KHL stats are his KHL stats. What happens in the NHL is what will happen in the NHL.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No, Michkov MAY be smaller and MAY be slower than he needs to be to be successful in the NHL.

And just because Michkov outproduced Ovechkin in the KHL, doesn't mean he will in the NHL. His KHL stats are his KHL stats. What happens in the NHL is what will happen in the NHL.
I suppose you can make the same argument about Bedard. May be too small to produce superstar numbers at the NHL level. Doesn't have blazing speed to make up for his stature. Has only produced in junior leagues. Bedard's junior stats are his junior stats. What happens in he NHL is what will happen in the NHL.

The message i am getting is nothing is guaranteed. Whether you are Bedard, Michkov or Strbak.... NHL success is not guaranteed. They are all question marks!

So where does that leave us?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I suppose you can make the same argument about Bedard. May be too small to produce superstar numbers at the NHL level. Doesn't have blazing speed to make up for his stature. Has only produced in junior leagues. Bedard's junior stats are his junior stats. What happens in he NHL is what will happen in the NHL.

The message i am getting is nothing is guaranteed. Whether you are Bedard, Michkov or Strbak.... NHL success is not guaranteed. They are all question marks!

So where does that leave us?
Yes, we don't know if Bedard can be at McDavid's level. McDavid's effectiveness is aided by his size and speed...

It only leaves me at: I'm not considering anyone a foregone conclusion. But I'd be over the moon if we drafted Michkov.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, we don't know if Bedard can be at McDavid's level. McDavid's effectiveness is aided by his size and speed...

It only leaves me at: I'm not considering anyone a foregone conclusion. But I'd be over the moon if we drafted Michkov.
That's a total cop-out take on the draft.

I am saying you draft Michkov at 5OA because he's the BPA based on talent, skills and his unprecedented production in the KHL as a draftee. Its data points that you can standby.

Is there risk? yes, but the worst case in my view is you have to wait 3 years. But the Habs have financial backing and reach to negotiate an agreement with SKA on an earlier release.

Any pick past 5 will take at least 2 years before having any kind of impact in the NHL.

So at 5OA, you take BPA. If i am Molson, i call Hughes up and tell him you must draft him if he's available at 5.

• Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's a total cop-out take on the draft.

I am saying you draft Michkov at 5OA because he's the BPA based on talent, skills and his unprecedented production in the KHL as a draftee. Its data points that you can standby.

Is there risk? yes, but the worst case in my view is you have to wait 3 years. But the Habs have financial backing and reach to negotiate an agreement with SKA on an earlier release.

Any pick past 5 will take at least 2 years before having any kind of impact in the NHL.

So at 5OA, you take BPA. If i am Molson, i call Hughes up and tell him you must draft him if he's available at 5.
I agree with everything you said, except the first and the last sentence/paragraph.

Hughes has information we don't have, and he has to go on that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I agree with everything you said, except the first and the last sentence/paragraph.

Hughes has information we don't have, and he has to go on that.
Again, you are bringing nothing of value to this conversation.

Hughes has information we don't have? What? Inconceivable!!!

He will go off the information he has?
How did you sleuth that one out?

Since we don't know what information Hughes has, we can only speculate off what information is available to the general public and form our own opinions on what we think Hughes will or should do. And that's what i am doing. I think its illogical not to pick Michkov if he's available.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Again, you are bringing nothing of value to this conversation.

Hughes has information we don't have? What? Inconceivable!!!

He will go off the information he has? How did you sleuth that one out?

Since we don't know what information Hughes has, we can only speculate off what information is available to the general public and form our own opinions on what we think Hughes will or should do. And that's what i am doing. I think its illogical not to pick Michkov if he's available.
I'm not following you very well, but if Hughes has information we don't have, why, if you were Molson, would call him up and you tell him he must draft Michkov at 5?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think its a foregone conclusion that Michkov is guaranteed to become a star/superstar at the NHL level. He's not that far behind Bedard.
LOL. I would probably draft him at 5 if he's there but the only thing that is a "foregone conclusion" is that we will all croak, Plenty of supposed "can't miss" prospects, in all sports, have busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad