Bluth Company Playoff Thread! 2014-15 Edition

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Caps win Game 6 to move on. I didn't play well, but that was possibly the most unlucky game of my life. Oh well, with 1/3 of a top line and my decimated defense I didn't expect to advance. Good series evo.

Great series man, so much fun playing another free wheeling GM!. I'll admit I definitely got a few breaks in game 6. I swear I was trying to direct this at the net though.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/148123337

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If you're gonna face a guy and want the best chance at winning, what do you pick?

A) You get to play the other guys CPU, get up 2-0, and then sim the rest?
B) Play out the series starting at 0-0

If all I care about is winning and not the fun I'd choose A every time...

Calgary gave up a 2-1 series lead for a 3-2 series deficit with two games to sim. I think it is fair to assume he was on the up-and-up.

For other series, though, you're right.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
****! Of course I get Red Rings at the most inconvenient time.

Won't have an XBox until after this weekend, so :wings can go ahead and play my CPU.

I'll redeem myself next season!

:flames wont be back until AFTER this weekend. 2nd round goes from Wednesday to Friday, 3rd round from Friday to Monday. :flames might miss two series in a row.

I spoke to our old friend CHESSARMY though and he said he'd be willing to sub in for Jeff. I definitely like this idea more than just having :flames opponents play two CPU games and hoping for the best in a sim. What do you guys think? Let Chess fill in or have :flames opponents play two CPU games and then sim?

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Calgary gave up a 2-1 series lead for a 3-2 series deficit with two games to sim. I think it is fair to assume he was on the up-and-up.

For other series, though, you're right.

Plus, Detroit had a 75% chance of winning up 3-2 with the rest of the series simmed.

So he went from down 2-1 in the series (less than 50% chance of winning) to 75% chance just because Calgary was busy.

Gary83*

:flames wont be back until AFTER this weekend. 2nd round goes from Wednesday to Friday, 3rd round from Friday to Monday. :flames might miss two series in a row.

I spoke to our old friend CHESSARMY though and he said he'd be willing to sub in for Jeff. I definitely like this idea more than just having :flames opponents play two CPU games and hoping for the best in a sim. What do you guys think? Let Chess fill in or have :flames opponents play two CPU games and then sim?

It's Jeff's team. Let him choose the replacement? I dunno, just a thought.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC

Man, it's not just hoping for the best. 2-0 is a huge lead, the other guy has to then win 4 out of 5 to come back...

If I was Detroit I'd be pissed if the rule changed after I was eliminated.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's Jeff's team. Let him choose the replacement? I dunno, just a thought.

meh, Chess is good at this game and Jeff put him self in a situation where he is kind of at the whim of the league at this point. Chess will do just fine as a fill in.

Gary83*

meh, Chess is good at this game and Jeff put him self in a situation where he is kind of at the whim of the league at this point. Chess will do just fine as a fill in.

Chess wasn't a playoff team. Didn't Jeff end up with rrod? It's not like he isn't making the time to play or ignoring his games. Seems like a bad call, just my opinion. Heck, let price play for him if he wants, you did say you felt bad about the end result.

Edit: saying chess missed playoffs is in no way me saying that he's a bad player!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
:sens v. :rangers

Game 1: 1-0 NYR

(Penalty fest. My AI took 4 penalties. I believe his took 3. Pretty evenly played game--Sens had more shots, TOA was pretty close. Both goalies made a few huge stops--Lundquist in the 2nd, Vokoun in the 3rd. Spezza hurt.)

Game 2: 3-2 NYR

(Back and forth, very even game. Rangers had the first goal, Senators the next two, Rangers the last two. TOA nearly identical; ditto shots. In sharp contrast to Game 1, only one penalty.)

Game 3: 3-2 NYR

(Ottawa dominated the first period--absolutely dominated--and Lundquist kept me in it. I think the shots were 12-3 after 1, with 3:30 TOA to 0:45. Rangers came back strong in the 2nd and 3rd, though the Cleary goal with :15 had me worried. Shots and TOA ended up nearly even, again. Lost Girardi to a concussion on a hip-check...the same thing that happened to McDonagh)

Game 4: 3-0 OTT

(TOA and shots both dead even. Lundquist let in his first softish goal of the playoffs, then Cowan had a blast from the slot. Iginla added a five-hole goal in the third. Lehtivouri =/= top-pairing defenseman.)

Game 5: 5-3 NYR

(Most open game of the series, particularly in the 3rd. Again, chances were very even, though Vokoun made a few awesome stops from the slot. Game was 3-1 entering the third, when Erik Karlson, who terrorized my slow defense corps at RW in the final two games of the series, set up a beautiful tap in. Senators tied the game with a grinding-type goal (still not sure how it went in), before Mike Richards grabbed the eventual game-winner with 5:00 left. Last goal came with a few seconds on the clock--probably wouldn't have shot it if I had realized how little time was left.)

:rangers advance in 5.

All in all, a very even series--much more so than the result would suggest. Give HaliMooseheads the Rangers and me the Senators, and I'm pretty confident we would have seen the exact opposite result. The better team won, not necessarily the better player.

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

Seems reasonable, but I thought he let his Live expire?

He should come back and take the Devils again next year!

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Johnson (day to day), Hedman (40 games), Parenteau (41 games), Williams (14 games) all out with injuries. Time for other heroes to step up!

richyy03

"We're all mad here"
Aug 19, 2012
Ottawa, ON

(Penalty fest. My AI took 4 penalties. I believe his took 3. Pretty evenly played game--Sens had more shots, TOA was pretty close. Both goalies made a few huge stops--Lundquist in the 2nd, Vokoun in the 3rd. Spezza hurt.)

(Back and forth, very even game. Rangers had the first goal, Senators the next two, Rangers the last two. TOA nearly identical; ditto shots. In sharp contrast to Game 1, only one penalty.)

(Ottawa dominated the first period--absolutely dominated--and Lundquist kept me in it. I think the shots were 12-3 after 1, with 3:30 TOA to 0:45. Rangers came back strong in the 2nd and 3rd, though the Cleary goal with :15 had me worried. Shots and TOA ended up nearly even, again. Lost Girardi to a concussion on a hip-check...the same thing that happened to McDonagh)

I deserve so much more then what I'm getting...Plus some your goals, so annoying. Game 2 when the cross crease went right in front of Vokoun but no poke check, like really? And Game 3 when Nash scored cause my defender behind the net had no stick...Absolutely no luck this series.

Gary83*

I deserve so much more then what I'm getting...Plus some your goals, so annoying. Game 2 when the cross crease went right in front of Vokoun but no poke check, like really? And Game 3 when Nash scored cause my defender behind the net had no stick...Absolutely no luck this series.

Karma!

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Avalanche take 2-0 series lead over hawks, steal home ice advantage!

Game 1: 6-1 Victory for Avs

Game 2: 2-1 Victory for Avs (Varly making a huge stick save with 20 seconds left to preserve the lead)

Varlamov is in God-Mode. Amazing saves with great desperation. It's like a wall is behind him. Only Marc McNeil has scored against him both times he's allowed a goal.

Elliot - Hjalmarssonn has been playin top 2 minutes thanks to injuries to both Johnson and Hedman. They haven't seemed out of step. Heroics by Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly, Scargbossa also have contributed to much of the teams success.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

I agree to a point, but Cleary's goal in Game 2 was pretty fluky. He did a snap shot right in front of Lundquist, who oddly tried to do a kick save animation rather than just... staying put and letting it hit him. I think I've rang about 5 off the bar / posts, so it isn't like I'm swimming in luck either. I was raging about the four PP in the first 16 minutes of Game 1--three of them AI-inducted--including a pair that gave you a 1:40 5 on 3.

The Stepan one was definitely weird, though. I expected him to take it on his backhand when he was all alone in front, but instead he waited for it to go through the crease (and right past Vokoun) and tapped it in on his forehand.

All that said, Spezza going out really has made a difference for you. Turris is better than I expected, but things get a bit thin for you after that.

Man do I miss McDonagh. My defense is pretty awful after the top pair (MDZ-Girardi).

Last edited:

stevezz

Jul 7, 2009
Good hard fought games chessarmy!
:blues complete the sweep winning the series 4-0
1 game went to ot and another went to double ot!
Great series man, thanks for filling in

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Great series man, so much fun playing another free wheeling GM!. I'll admit I definitely got a few breaks in game 6. I swear I was trying to direct this at the net though.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/148123337

If so great job haha but yeah after you scored your 2nd fluky one, I'm sure you know what it's like, I just got running around going for offense. All down hill from there! Hopefully we can have a rematch another year with completely healthy rosters (or at least all of our key players) so we can really fly

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
Through 3 games, Washington leads Tampa Bay 2 games to 1.

In a lagtastic Game 1, Washington never really got anything set up the way they wanted, and Tampa takes the game 3-0. Ovechkin is injured for 2 games at the conclusion of this game.

In Game 2, Riku Helenius allows 5 goals on 8 shots in the first period. While the flow of the game was rather even (if not in Tampa's favor), 5 goals was too much to overcome, and Washington wins 5-2.

In Game 3, Tampa never gets anything working. Nearly all passes were broken up, too many blocked and missed shots, and the few shots that did get through were handled by Luongo. Washington controlled the flow of this game the whole way through and took the game 2-0.

The series is set to continue tomorrow. Ovechkin returns, and Tampa could REALLY use one or both injured D back, which won't happen except for maybe Markov if he can return a game early if there is a Game 7. Washington is finding holes, getting passes through, and getting breakaway after breakaway on the epically slow D pairing of Greg Zanon and Rob Kwiet.

richyy03

"We're all mad here"
Aug 19, 2012
Ottawa, ON

Game 4: 3-0 OTT

(TOA and shots both dead even. Lundquist let in his first softish goal of the playoffs, then Cowan had a blast from the slot. Iginla added a five-hole goal in the third. Lehtivouri =/= top-pairing defenseman.)

Game 5: 5-3 NYR

(Most open game of the series, particularly in the 3rd. Again, chances were very even, though Vokoun made a few awesome stops from the slot. Game was 3-1 entering the third, when Erik Karlson, who terrorized my slow defense corps at RW in the final two games of the series, set up a beautiful tap in. Senators tied the game with a grinding-type goal (still not sure how it went in), before Mike Richards grabbed the eventual game-winner with 5:00 left. Last goal came with a few seconds on the clock--probably wouldn't have shot it if I had realized how little time was left.)

:rangers advance in 5.

All in all, a very even series--much more so than the result would suggest. Give HaliMooseheads the Rangers and me the Senators, and I'm pretty confident we would have seen the exact opposite result. The better team won, not necessarily the better player.

Putting Karlsson at RW was probably my best idea. Kinda sucks that Michalek was out the whole series and Spezza for most, doesn't help when I have to put my depth on my top lines. Kinda wish I could've won more then one, but it is what it is. Definitely need a tougher team so I don't get bounced around in my own zone and maybe some luck with the overall gods (now that I said it, probably won't happen).

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
And the Hawks win game 3 and 4 to tie the series up at 2 a piece! back to chicago we go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad