Blues vs Oilers. Which turn around is more impressive?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
EDM. Once Blues fired the Eyebrowless Wonder, there was nowhere to go but up.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I knew you would learn about the idea that there has been a constant undermining from the Sharks fans, and what you would try to do with it is make it so that my knowing it is a flaw that I have.

But it isn't fella. If there's context that you lack, context that would be extremely normal to notice, don't project it onto the other person the fact that context exists is weird. You know that's a totally immature way to respond to new info.

And I knew you were going to do it., and then you did do it. You should just be quiet.
Yes, generalizing an entire fan base is a flaw.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Yes, generalizing an entire fan base is a flaw.
Interjecting to critique someone who is not only aware of that, but has noted specific people within that fan base is your flaw, because it includes you not actually knowing what you're critiquing, which is foolish.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
@PocketNines

If you believe that this Oilers team is significantly worse than the '19 Blues, do you then believe that their turnaround is more impressive? If they have a lesser team, wouldn't it be more difficult to turn their season around and make the Final?

Just some food for thought.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
@PocketNines

If you believe that this Oilers team is significantly worse than the '19 Blues, do you then believe that their turnaround is more impressive? If they have a lesser team, wouldn't it be more difficult to turn their season around and make the Final?

Just some food for thought.
See, it isn't food for thought. That is my literal objection. I was very clear about it. You are getting closer. There is almost nothing to compare the '19 Blues and '24 Oilers other than they are both hockey teams in the NHL.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
See, it isn't food for thought. That is my literal objection. I was very clear about it. You are getting closer. There is almost nothing to compare the '19 Blues and '24 Oilers other than they are both hockey teams in the NHL.
And none of that matters. We are comparing a single metric here: which turnaround was more impressive. That's it. It's not a complex question.

You are free to explain why you think one or the other was more impressive, but it simply is not relevant that the teams are very different. It is such a common practice to compare things that are very different. The point is that there are often times a couple things that are similar between those two different things, and that's what is being compared.

One example would be two teams that are built very differently, they play a different style, they're in different divisions, they are teams from different seasons, they are from different countries, but they have a few things in common in that they had a bad start, fired their coach, and made it to the Cup Final. These two teams are mostly different, but I'd like you to discuss the similarities of those two teams and which you think had a more impressive turnaround. Ok go. (please, I'm begging you.)

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I voted blues earlier in thread, but if the oilers come back down from 3-0 does that altar anyone's decision?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
It was fun dunking on Edmonton during their early struggles, but the underlying numbers were strong and it was just a bad stretch

Blues was much more unexpected
Twas a sad time. (Having gone to 3 of those first 12 games lol)

Underlying numbers or not, they SUCKED at the start of the season. They looked reminiscent of 2007-2016 teams tbh.

Blues are still the only correct answer though. The Oilers previous level of play and indicated growth of players made their situation somewhat expected by most experts out there.

I voted blues earlier in thread, but if the oilers come back down from 3-0 does that altar anyone's decision?
Not in this argument, (Blues situation was tailor made for a movie documentary/ dramatization) but it would indicate they’re one of the most resilient teams in history

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The Blues seemed to have more in common with the 05-06 Oilers than the current team. Good teams that struggled with glaring holes in net and new acquisitions taking awhile to contribute. Got goalies and their shit together in time for the playoffs. Stud d-man with vet support, 2-way centres down the middle, and goalies that could stop the type of chances the team was letting through all day long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad