Half-Assed GDT: Blues Stars

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It’d be hilarious if everyone (myself included) wrote off Kapanen as waiver fodder or an extra forward or something and he scores 20+ this year lol. I’m not sold yet tho and would still rather see Bolduc develop out there instead but still, hell of a game from Kapps.

This is Kapanen's MO. He ghosts for 20 games, then looks like a top line stud, then ghosts. He had a 3 point game against Boston last year in the 17th to last game of the season, then had 3 points over the next 16 games (a 15 point for a full season pace). Don't be fooled by 1 pre-season game where his career is on the line. He is fighting for the 14th forward spot for a reason.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I'm thinking that Kap isn't really the reason why Bolduc would be sent down if that happens. The play of Holloway and/or Texier would be the real competition for Bolduc in a top 6 role.
I want Bolduc to make the team. I think he's shown plenty with his play and camp that he has earned a top 6 opportunity. I am as high or more so on Holloway as anyone. I think Holloway can bounce between top 6 and 3rd line and be valuable in either/both roles. Bolduc can play top 6 as long as he has linemates who will be responsible at both ends (which the Blues can provide).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm thinking that Kap isn't really the reason why Bolduc would be sent down if that happens. The play of Holloway and/or Texier would be the real competition for Bolduc in a top 6 role.
I want Bolduc to make the team. I think he's shown plenty with his play and camp that he has earned a top 6 opportunity. I am as high or more so on Holloway as anyone. I think Holloway can bounce between top 6 and 3rd line and be valuable in either/both roles. Bolduc can play top 6 as long as he has linemates who will be responsible at both ends (which the Blues can provide).

Where does the idea that Bolduc can't play 3rd line come from? He showed last year to be far better defensively than Neighbours who came in on the 3rd line, or Schenn who people want to move there now.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Where does the idea that Bolduc can't play 3rd line come from? He showed last year to be far better defensively than Neighbours who came in on the 3rd line, or Schenn who people want to move there now.
The place it comes from in my mind is the Hockey Sense interview with DA. He basically said that Bolduc will make the team as a top 6 forward or go to the AHL to play top 6.
I agree that he could play 3rd line especially with the way he's been using his body.
But after listening to Bannister's most recent interview, it sounds more likely that Bolduc starts in Springfield. Surprising to me if that's what happens, but I'm sure they have good reasons.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The place it comes from in my mind is the Hockey Sense interview with DA. He basically said that Bolduc will make the team as a top 6 forward or go to the AHL to play top 6.
I agree that he could play 3rd line especially with the way he's been using his body.
But after listening to Bannister's most recent interview, it sounds more likely that Bolduc starts in Springfield. Surprising to me if that's what happens, but I'm sure they have good reasons.
If Bolduc is sent to SPR to start the season, then I think it has more to do with two major things: One, he is waivers exempt, which allows DA to keep more veterans on the active roster. Two, Bolduc hasn't bulled his way through the competition to immediately warrant a top-6 slot.

I think that if Bolduc forced his way onto the roster (he hasn't), then DA would consider moving Kapanen. And, even though Bolduc and Kapanen are not competing for the same spot in the lineup, I'd imagine DA & Bannister would want more NHL-ready players on the roster over a prospect who hasn't yet forced his way.

idk just my 3¢

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Bolduc is sent to SPR to start the season, then I think it has more to do with two major things: One, he is waivers exempt, which allows DA to keep more veterans on the active roster. Two, Bolduc hasn't bulled his way through the competition to immediately warrant a top-6 slot.

I think that if Bolduc forced his way onto the roster (he hasn't), then DA would consider moving Kapanen. And, even though Bolduc and Kapanen are not competing for the same spot in the lineup, I'd imagine DA & Bannister would want more NHL-ready players on the roster over a prospect who hasn't yet forced his way.

idk just my 3¢
I think a major thing is Holloway and Tex forcing the Blues to give them a look in the top 6 and Joseph not giving them a reason to demote him to the 4th line. Thomas-Neighbours, Buch-Kyrou, and Saad-Schenn already had 6 out of 9 top 9 spots locked down. That leaves Faksa, Sunny, Walker, Kapanen, and Toro to rotate in and out of the 4th line depending what we need.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think a major thing is Holloway and Tex forcing the Blues to give them a look in the top 6 and Joseph not giving them a reason to demote him to the 4th line. Thomas-Neighbours, Buch-Kyrou, and Saad-Schenn already had 6 out of 9 top 9 spots locked down. That leaves Faksa, Sunny, Walker, Kapanen, and Toro to rotate in and out of the 4th line depending what we need.
Agree. It is precisely this depth that DA needs to protect. At least for the somewhat foreseeable future. There will be an injury or two and also at least one guy will shit the bed once the season starts. I am 100% not counting on Sunny at all, but we have a good problem in the bottom-6.

We assembled a ton of depth. I'd rather we not squander it. And seeing that Bolduc hasn't forced his way onto the roster, then the path of least resistance, for now, is to send him down. I don't see him staying long in SPR, regardless.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The concept of top-6 vs. 3rd line is, for now, a fantasy. The Blues had a clear top 4 forwards last year and then another group of 4 or 5 guys. There was also a pretty clear top trio on the powerplay with a smooth descent in usage to the 6/7/8th guys. In general, the gaps in usage were very consistent down the lineup rather than a meaningful difference between a clear top-6 and everyone else.

So if that reasoning is used to explain roster spots, I had better see Bannister actually using the players that way. Until that happens, the talk of any player forcing coaching or management's hand as it regards that usage is smoke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad