Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think you're overlooking other factors involved in Holloway and Broberg signing offersheets. It wasn't only the money. They were both unhappy in Edmonton, Holloway knew there was no room for him to advance into the top 6 and Broberg was being forced to play his off side and plus, it get to like -40 in Edmonton, f*** that.
Have there been credible reports about Holloway being unhappy? I don’t remember seeing any, but it’s possible I’ve just missed them.

It’s probably safe to say Broberg was both unhappy with his role and got a great contract offer.

But with Holloway based on what I’ve seen I think it’s likely that this came down to us offering him 50% more salary over less term.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Have there been credible reports about Holloway being unhappy? I don’t remember seeing any, but it’s possible I’ve just missed them.

It’s probably safe to say Broberg was both unhappy with his role and got a great contract offer.

But with Holloway based on what I’ve seen I think it’s likely that this came down to us offering him 50% more salary over less term.
I know, dude. It's so hard to extrapolate anything from this type of introductory interview. I watched two Holloway vids and he clearly had pre-packaged and rehearsed answers delivered almost word-for-word across the two interviews.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
R-word aside (I have autism and had that slur used a lot against me as a kid.), I have to agree.

It's been a complete 180 from what these guys thought of Broberg and Hollway before. And a lot of extracurricular stuff: Broberg's and Holloway's "body language" saying they're "unhappy to be here", in our apparent "crime-ridden city in Missouri" instead of Edmonton (which is a nice city in a good country; I refuse to insult their city like they did mine), us being "unable to re-sign our twelve first round picks" with our "half-a-dozen fans", Armstrong being a "charlatan" for not playing Kostin, etc., etc., and so forth.

Just...so much damned salt and bitters that you know they wouldn't be able to get away with on the main boards, so they post it there where it gets buried.
Maybe Holloway just had to pee really bad and was about to go to the washroom (he's Canadian) until the producers said, for the 10th time, that they're about to start.

Man I gotta pee. "Can you repeat the question, please?"

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Holloway took Snuggerud's number, lol.
Snuggy's dad wore the number 18 as a Gopher and then for part of his NHL career. Minnesota had an upperclassman wearing 18 when Snuggy arrived, so I'd assume that the number 81 was a tribute to his dad. He wore 18 for Team USA in his first World Junior tournament and then 81 last year, so it does seem like his number choices the last couple years have been tied to his dad wearing #18.

Something tells me he's not snagging #18 on the Blues either.

His dad also wore 14 later in his NHL career While it only honored and not officially retired, I don't see the Blues letting him wear #14. No one on the team has worn it for over 20 years. Maybe he snags Bortuzzo's old #41?

I could also see him going completely off the board and choosing a number that isn't related to one his dad wore. He's worn a bunch of other numbers for Team USA in his time with the NTDP. I've seen pictures of him wearing 15, 21, 45, and 9 in various Team USA camps/tournaments.

Personally, I'd love to see him snag #15. I snagged a home Fabbri jersey during a summer sale for $25 a couple years ago and I already have a Winter Classic Fabbri. I would love to be able to make myself a cheap Snuggy jersey with a simple nameplate swap. Bolduc might beat him to it though. He wore #15 in junior before taking 16 in the AHL.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I want Broberg to succeed on our team for two reasons.

1. Because I want to see the Blues have a good young defender.

2. To piss off Oiler fans.
Absolutely on #2. For a bunch of people that only wanted to talk about how replaceable those 2 are and how overpaid they're going to be, they sure are really mad at the Blues...

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Absolutely on #2. For a bunch of people that only wanted to talk about how replaceable those 2 are and how overpaid they're going to be, they sure are really mad at the Blues...

Would you want to be judged by our worst posters if something like this happened to us? There were a lot of very reasonable and knowledgeable Oilers fans as well.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Would you want to be judged by our worst posters if something like this happened to us? There were a lot of very reasonable and knowledgeable Oilers fans as well.

There were a lot of reasonable Oilers fans...on the main boards and here, occasionally. But even there and here was iffy. You had the one guy who came here looking to start trouble and deleted his incendiary post here and posted the exact same thing on the Oilers board (so he didn't delete his post out of altruism or respect or self-admission that he was wrong, but because he didn't want to get rightfully called out by other posters here).

And some of the shit I've seen on the Edmonton Oilers board denigrating St. Louis - my city - and their moderators' lack of any sort of trying to curb it made me lose any and all respect I ever had towards that franchise's fans. It wasn't one person either; it was a whole hell of a lot of people saying, "Hope Holloway/Broberg has fun playing in Missouri" and a graphic about St. Louis' (factually-incorrect) crime rate shortly afterward, and their fans liking that post.

If I posted anything about Edmonton or Canada here, you guys know my post would get deleted in a heartbeat, and I don't hate any city or country enough to do that. I may hate some of the people in a city or country, but I never go so far as to hate a city or country itself, for each city in each country has its own form of beauty.

I have absolutely nothing distasteful to say about Edmonton; I'd love to visit there if I could. So, forgive me for being upset that my city got targeted, and wanting the Oilers' fanbase (at least, those who are the worst of them) to choke on their own words when it comes to Broberg or Holloway.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
There were a lot of reasonable Oilers fans...on the main boards and here, occasionally. But even there and here was iffy. You had the one guy who came here looking to start trouble and deleted his incendiary post here and posted the exact same thing on the Oilers board (so he didn't delete his post out of altruism or respect or self-admission that he was wrong, but because he didn't want to get rightfully called out by other posters here).

And some of the shit I've seen on the Edmonton Oilers board denigrating St. Louis - my city - and their moderators' lack of any sort of trying to curb it made me lose any and all respect I ever had towards that franchise's fans. It wasn't one person either; it was a whole hell of a lot of people saying, "Hope Holloway/Broberg has fun playing in Missouri" and a graphic about St. Louis' (factually-incorrect) crime rate shortly afterward, and their fans liking that post.

If I posted anything about Edmonton or Canada here, you guys know my post would get deleted in a heartbeat, and I don't hate any city or country enough to do that. I may hate some of the people in a city or country, but I never go so far as to hate a city or country itself, for each city in each country has its own form of beauty.

I have absolutely nothing distasteful to say about Edmonton; I'd love to visit there if I could. So, forgive me for being upset that my city got targeted, and wanting the Oilers' fanbase (at least, those who are the worst of them) to choke on their own words when it comes to Broberg or Holloway.
For purposes of clarity, the post was moderated, not deleted by the poster.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Your post wouldn't get deleted if you said something bad about Canada. People do all the time on here about various places. And so what? Is that any better than the accusations of bribing referees that one poster throws around on a daily basis: Ref Jose, Refalanche and all the annoying garbage that poster says. Do you want people to judge you by him? Or by the bigots we have who post regularly in this forum? Or by the guy on the main boards who responds to every other post in every Blues threads and knows nothing?

How reasonable would you be if we lost in Game 7 in 2019 and someone came and offer-sheeted Thomas and Dunn right after? Have some empathy. It would really suck if it happened to a team I rooted for. Do all their fans handle it correctly? No, but some of our fans can't help being cringeworthy when we just play a regular season meaningless game.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Your post wouldn't get deleted if you said something bad about Canada. People do all the time on here about various places. And so what? Is that any better than the accusations of bribing referees that one poster throws around on a daily basis: Ref Jose, Refalanche and all the annoying garbage that poster says. Do you want people to judge you by him? Or by the bigots we have who post regularly in this forum? Or by the guy on the main boards who responds to every other post in every Blues threads and knows nothing?

How reasonable would you be if we lost in Game 7 in 2019 and someone came and offer-sheeted Thomas and Dunn right after? Have some empathy. It would really suck if it happened to a team I rooted for. Do all their fans handle it correctly? No, but some of our fans can't help being cringeworthy when we just play a regular season meaningless game.
How reasonable would I be? I’d be calling for Army’s head. I wouldn’t say a word about the players or the other team. I wouldn’t make bullshit statements that the players looked unhappy to sign the offer sheets, much like I wouldn’t denigrate the city they signed in, or went after them personally (like a few Edmonton fans did with Holloway’s social media).

I’d be calling that a hell of a shrewd move by said team, and - like some Edmonton fans did - admit that my team’s cap wasn’t conducive to signing any contract, and wish the players well.

But ultimately, I don’t insult other organizational fans unless they’ve done something to earn my ire. Have some empathy? For people watching a f***ing child’s game and therefore feel it’s well within their rights to insult an entire city and players that are human f***ing beings first and foremost? How about they have some class?

As for being judged by him and others, I’d prefer to let my actions speak for myself. A lot of Oilers fans obviously feel the same way, albeit differently.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Thank you @Behind Enemy Lines. It's been great to read your posts at HFOilers. I don't feel this way because of some sort of confirmation bias, but because of genuine, intuitive, incisive takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad