Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I really do think these two are going to work out better then past retreads we took in from Edmonton (Yakupov and Paajarvi). Seriously though why does Edmonton suck so bad a developing prospects. Go look through their draft history not only do they fail to find talent in later picks but half their first rounders (some top10) have completely washed out of the NHL the last 15 years.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
We are going to need them for the playoffs

Faksa, maybe (unless Dean impresses), but when Snuggerud signs with us, you have to expect that he'll be good enough for a middle-six right wing role. Combined with Bolduc, Neighbours, Holloway, Schenn, and maybe even Dvorsky if he excels in the AHL, there's not a spot in the top nine for Saad. Getting a second for Saad would be smart business. If Dean impresses, you can deal Faksa. If a rookie defenseman - or more - impresses, Suter becomes easier to deal. Kapanen? He's a fourth line player at this point; get whatever you can for him. Maybe even someone like Kaskimaki or Robertsson or Dickinson or whomever earns a spot on the fourth line.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I'm not a fan of sending them a couple low-value assets to 'convince' them not to match. I think the threat of matching was a bluff by Edmonton and would be stunned if Bowman changed his decision on matching based on a fringe prospect and a 3rd rounder in a draft half a decade away. I don't think that stuff actually mends the relationship with Bowman and I would have preferred Army telling Bowman that he was stuck with making a decision based on offer sheet compensation since he misjudged the market during initial trade negotiations.

But that stance comes from the negotiator/lawyer in me and not the hockey fan. I could very much be misjudging the behind the scenes relationship between Army/Bowman and I'm certainly not losing sleep over those assets. I'm still very content to give up a 2025 2nd, 2025 3rd, 2028 3rd, and P Fisher in order to snag a couple (now overpaid) former 1st round picks who appear to at least have floors as NHL players.

I don't think either has the upside of a franchise-altering guy, but I think both could turn into genuine middle-to-upper-half of the lineup contributors. With Broberg specifically, we are well set up for a nice contract negotiation down the line if he turns into a contributor. He has to recognize that we just gave him a hell of a great deal to get him out of a bad situation and into a good one for his own career growth. He knows that he wouldn't have been 'worth' $9M over 2 years in arbitration or based on his performance so far. There is all the reason in the world for him to be interested in staying long term if he becomes a player worth keeping long term.

These acquisitions could turn into nothing but wasted cap space and a depletion of some medium futures value. But I think it is a great gamble and I'm excited about both players.

I sort of took it not so much as a threat but as a hey, could you let me save face a little here? I thought it was a good move.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Yeah Army had to pay up or Bowman would have brought a perv employee to sexually molest him then covered it up.
1724199326302.gif

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I really do think these two are going to work out better then past retreads we took in from Edmonton (Yakupov and Paajarvi). Seriously though why does Edmonton suck so bad a developing prospects. Go look through their draft history not only do they fail to find talent in later picks but half their first rounders (some top10) have completely washed out of the NHL the last 15 years.
At least Paajarvi gave us the OT win to beat the Wild in the 2017 Playoffs.

Yakupov is so forgettable.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Faksa, maybe (unless Dean impresses), but when Snuggerud signs with us, you have to expect that he'll be good enough for a middle-six right wing role. Combined with Bolduc, Neighbours, Holloway, Schenn, and maybe even Dvorsky if he excels in the AHL, there's not a spot in the top nine for Saad. Getting a second for Saad would be smart business. If Dean impresses, you can deal Faksa. If a rookie defenseman - or more - impresses, Suter becomes easier to deal. Kapanen? He's a fourth line player at this point; get whatever you can for him. Maybe even someone like Kaskimaki or Robertsson or Dickinson or whomever earns a spot on the fourth line.
We have a good problem with Dean. When Bolduc was called up, Dean was elevated to a scoring line in Springfield and immediately started scoring. Bolduc was a little slow at first in his first couple games, but that dude knows how to adjust. He's already shown oodles of malleability to conquer the learning curve. I have confidence in both of them and can see Dean becoming a really good trade chip, especially if he breaks out in Springfield.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
This is a disgusting amount of talent Armstrong has been able to accumulate. Best offseason by far since 2018.

The way I see it, Armstrong was able to just acquire a player of similar draft pedigree to all the defenseman drafted 7-12 earlier this year for the cost of a 2nd round pick and one that is further along in their development that fits much better with our current corps. Not sure you could find a better fit than Broberg for what we were looking for. The list of LHD targets in this under 25 group is relatively short. Even if it doesnt work out long term, I am totally floored over the acquisition of Broberg.

The list of LHD under 25 currently under contract:

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
We have a good problem with Dean. When Bolduc was called up, Dean was elevated to a scoring line in Springfield and immediately started scoring. Bolduc was a little slow at first in his first couple games, but that dude knows how to adjust. He's already shown oodles of malleability to conquer the learning curve. I have confidence in both of them and can see Dean becoming a really good trade chip, especially if he breaks out in Springfield.

Maybe not even a trade chip, even. Maybe we just have a damn good fourth line. Wouldn't be the first time a team has rolled with four lines that all have potential to put the puck in the net; Vegas did just that on their Cup win.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Given how thin we are at center, why would we trade Dean (unless in package for better center)?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You both make a very good point. I thought of addressing the center issue in my post, but forgot. I wanted to say that he is a center and that I hope he solidifies himself as a center in Springfield.

And then, just now, I remember looking at our projected lineups and saw how thin we are at center.

So, yes. Agreed! One must adjust their position upon receipt of compelling information.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You both make a very good point. I thought of addressing the center issue in my post, but forgot. i wanted to say that he is a center and that I hope he solidifies himself as a center in Springfield.

And then, just now, I remember looking at our projected lienups and saw how thin we are at center.

So, yes. Agreed! One must adjust their position upon receipt of compelling information.

Honestly, as loaded as we are with potential this year...it might be even more so next year. Snuggerud possibly, Bolduc for certain, Dean possibly, Dvorsky possibly, potentially Lindstein and/or Stenberg coming over, potentially one of our many young defensemen and forwards taking the next step, and that's not even mentioning the players we already have that could take the next step.

It could be an even more exciting year next year than it seems like it's going to be this year.

Reactions: stlwahoo

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Honestly, as loaded as we are with potential this year...it might be even more so next year. Snuggerud possibly, Bolduc for certain, Dean possibly, Dvorsky possibly, potentially Lindstein and/or Stenberg coming over, potentially one of our many young defensemen and forwards taking the next step, and that's not even mentioning the players we already have that could take the next step.

It could be an even more exciting year next year than it seems like it's going to be this year.
Yup! A few people here are talking about how crowded it is and now you bring up how crowded it will become. Of course, DA/Steen will start shedding players, but we have a very good problem.

Now DA just needs to calm down from his "masterclass" and not make another Cup-coital glow bonehead move.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Well the Canes OS was a retaliation for the Habs offer sheeting Aho. Blues retaliated against Vancouver when they offer sheeted Backes by doing the same to Bernier. It does happen, but I am not worried about it really. I would be surprised if Neighbours even makes it far enough to be eligible for one, he will be locked up before so IMO. Not to mention the Oilers don't have any cap space to make any splashes anyway, if anything they need to hope someone doesn't do the same thing to Bouchard next summer.
or their own draft picks.

Reactions: SirPaste

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Honestly, I love where the team is at right now. We have so much depth that we don't need Dean or Snuggy or Dvorsky or Lindstein to come up this year or have to hope that they are ready to contribute and plug a hole on the big club. Snuggy probably gets a taste after the Frozen Four, but I think most of our prospects would benefit from another year down and no pressure to come up and be an impact player immediately, Dvorsky in particular. It felt like at the end of last season that we needed him to bail us out this coming season and now so much more of the team is rounded out, team speed is better, team defense, depth, etc.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Oh undoubtedly that's true, we have WAY more and better options next year. It's a tidal wave of Blues prospects all from the top of our prospect pool too. Dvorskys and Snuggeruds and Stenbergs and Lindsteins oh my......

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Honestly, I love where the team is at right now. We have so much depth that we don't need Dean or Snuggy or Dvorsky or Lindstein to come up this year or have to hope that they are ready to contribute and plug a hole on the big club. Snuggy probably gets a taste after the Frozen Four, but I think most of our prospects would benefit from another year down and no pressure to come up and be an impact player immediately, Dvorsky in particular. It felt like at the end of last season that we needed him to bail us out this coming season and now so much more of the team is rounded out, team speed is better, team defense, depth, etc.
Like Dallas with Stank and Mav. Yeah, yeah, I know, Stank showed up and has a lil sumpn sumpn.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Given how thin we are at center, why would we trade Dean (unless in package for better center)?
I’d have to go back and watch again (someone can confirm I’m hearing things or not) but didn’t Armstrong mention Holloway’s experience at center and his faceoffs?

Not saying that means Dean is expendable, but it’s possible we try Holloway out at Center instead of just deploying him on the wing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad