Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
After the Pod trade, I thought that it was clear that they would keep Bro and not match with Holloway. With the Ceci trade, I now think they will match on both, and have come out of this far better than I expected. But who knows what other cards JJ/SB have up their sleeves.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t think it’s one or the other. As soon as Kane goes on LTIR, we’re cap compliant with both
I'd be stunned if they kept both after trading for Podkolzin. Don't see how adding another forward making above minimum salary makes any sense if that's the plan. The I suppose the only way it could make sense is if you're planning on playing Holloway at centre, but I can't see that at all.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers did 3 things in these 2 trades that lead me to believe that they actually might not be matching either offer.
- Pod is a cheaper replacement for Holloway. We save cap, and get a better pick.
- What if the real primary goal in the Ceci trade wasn't clearing space, as much as it was replacing Broberg with Emberson? Emberson plays right side. He's thrived under Knoblauch in the AHL, and he just scored at a .33 ppg in the NHL, albeit in a small sample size.
- In the Ceci trade, the Oilers cleared enough space to match offer sheets. Bit they also cleared enough space to start the season below the cap ceiling before Kane goes on LTIR, meaning we can accrue cap space throughout the season.

These deals might not actually mean we are matching, even if it looks like we are.

And when Kane comes back? Hernia surgery is not a 10 month ordeal.
There are rumours about a hip issue as well. Those could be longer term.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And when Kane comes back? Hernia surgery is not a 10 month ordeal.

He’s apparently got multiple issues, so you spread them out. And when he’s back, you let whatever player has a nagging injury go on LTIR. Game it like everyone else does. We had multiple guys playing through injuries where they could have been shut down last year. Vegas did it last year to perfection.

I'd be stunned if they kept both after trading for Podkolzin. Don't see how adding another forward making above minimum salary makes any sense if that's the plan. The I suppose the only way it could make sense is if you're planning on playing Holloway at centre, but I can't see that at all.

Could be simply that they had a move come up that made it work to keep Broberg, so they did it, and then the Ceci deal came together and made it work to keep both. A 3rd to keep both is a fair price. Someone eventually had to back down from the ask of a 1st/2nd, and once Bowman made the Podkolzin move, it took a lot of the pressure off

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He’s apparently got multiple issues, so you spread them out. And when he’s back, you let whatever player has a nagging injury go on LTIR. Game it like everyone else does. We had multiple guys playing through injuries where they could have been shut down last year. Vegas did it last year to perfection.

Could be simply that they had a move come up that made it work to keep Broberg, so they did it, and then the Ceci deal came together and made it work to keep both. A 3rd to keep both is a fair price. Someone eventually had to back down from the ask of a 1st/2nd, and once Bowman made the Podkolzin move, it took a lot of the pressure off
The Podkolzin deal didn't release any pressure though, all it did was make losing Holloway sting less. I don't see the point if you end up keeping Holloway.

If they wanted to keep both, moving Ceci and Kulak out would be the move.

Reactions: McBooya42

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
2 offer sheets was their best odds at getting one of the players. This isn’t like some jock who stole your girlfriend so you need payback it’s the NHL.
But if Jake neighbours goes to RFA we should offer sheet him. We can always dump a player to make room if it works.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
But if Jake neighbours goes to RFA we should offer sheet him. We can always dump a player to make room if it works.
The Blues are probably just going to sign him. And I don't see the Oilers being able to make an offer that the Blues would have any issue matching.

Edit: Not to mention that they seem keen on trading all of our picks lol

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
my prediction... they let both walk. Hope that one or two of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, etc end up making the team over the next year or 2 to help replace Holloway. As for Broberg, he's just too big of a gamble (combination of $$$, inexperience, and him being LD) to be the right fit for the Oiler's biggest hole which is 2nd pairing RD.

I'd sign Barrie to a 1 year deal at 1 million. Then be looking to find the right upgrade at 2nd pairing RD as soon as they can find the right guy/contract.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Podkolzin deal didn't release any pressure though, all it did was make losing Holloway sting less. I don't see the point if you end up keeping Holloway.

Or they know for sure that they can keep Kane on LTIR until playoffs and run a regular season lineup of

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Savoie
Podkolzin - Janmark - Brown

Ekholm - Bocuhard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Emberson

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Or they know for sure that they can keep Kane on LTIR until playoffs and run a regular season lineup of

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Savoie
Podkolzin - Janmark - Brown

Ekholm - Bocuhard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Emberson
Yeah I didn't really consider dropping Ryan as an option, but that would be interesting, especially if they want to put Holloway back at centre. Could even run Nuge in the middle, Kane comes back to play in the top six and then you have your Janmark - Henrique - Brown line back together. Though I have no faith in that line sticking tbh.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I didn't really consider dropping Ryan as an option, but that would be interesting, especially if they want to put Holloway back at centre. Could even run Nuge in the middle, Kane comes back to play in the top six and then you have your Janmark - Henrique - Brown line back together. Though I have no faith in that line sticking tbh.
I don’t see that line being a third line for long either. They found a hot streak but I think Henrique deserves better wingers. I think probably that lineup is what we get but with Ryan at center instead of Holloway.
I think Ryan/Perry are the extra skaters that get in when the younger players need to sit and watch for a game or two.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It actually did, because you could make the cap work on Broberg if you let Holloway go, and ran a 21 man roster. Suddenly the only leverage a team has is Holloway. Not both. So instead of teams demanding a 1st, Bowman got it done for a 3rd

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It actually did, because you could make the cap work on Broberg if you let Holloway go, and ran a 21 man roster. Suddenly the only leverage a team has is Holloway. Not both. So instead of teams demanding a 1st, Bowman got it done for a 3rd
I don't really get that, couldn't the Oilers also just say we're comfortable with Savoie or Lavoie making the roster in that case? It's not like Podkolzin is a surefire NHLer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just for fun, I kind of hope that Bowman has a trade lined up for the Blues 2nd and 3rd that blows away the value of Broberg and Holloway. Like, a true 2nd pair partner for Nurse. I know it isn't likely, but I'd laugh hysterically if we got better pieces with St. Louis' picks than St. Louis did.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
2 offer sheets was their best odds at getting one of the players. This isn’t like some jock who stole your girlfriend so you need payback it’s the NHL.
I would argue it’s about sending a message to discourage offer sheets in the future. I’m not saying go full Carolina but if they have a chance to be a thorn in the blues side in the future they absolutely should.

There’s a reason there are very few offer sheets. The blues offer sheeting not 1 but 2 players is almost unheard of. It’s a clear line in the sand.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I would argue it’s about sending a message to discourage offer sheets in the future. I’m not saying go full Carolina but if they have a chance to be a thorn in the blues side in the future they absolutely should.

There’s a reason there are very few offer sheets. The blues offer sheeting not 1 but 2 players is almost unheard of. It’s a clear line in the sand.

Agreed. Heck, if I’m McDavid, I’m letting hockey Canada know I won’t be a part of any event that Armstrong is involved in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad