Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Beside Nurse. Yes they weren't amazing but it's a pairing that can be built by progression and experience. Nurse the risks and goals. Broberg the smarts and smart defensive play.

Broberg is more comfortable on the right side.
This pair can work if we decide to match Broberg

This isn't true, both statistically and it's even reported that Broberg himself hates the right side.

Broberg is actually very strong whenever he plays LD, which is causing me a little bit of pause because he was mostly tossed on the right side. His best performances of the playoffs in the Stars series was on the left side next to Ceci when Kulak moved up to babysit Nurse.

A coaching mistake that doesn't get talked about was moving Kulak down to 3LD and Broberg up to play with Nurse on the account that Kulak doesn't feel comfortable on the right side. The Kulak - Nurse pair was way better than with Broberg, and Broberg played by far his best hockey on the left side on the third pair.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yup. Sucks for the future of the team but the window is now and neither player will really help significantly enough right now at those prices. It is what it is. Getting McDavid, Bouch and Draisaitl to extensions is the most important thing moving forward. Kudos to the Blues for seeing an opportunity and taking full advantage of it. Though it could easily come back to bite them as well.
If we just let these guys walk, why would Draisaitl or McDavid commit to 8 years? If our window is short term, we are setting up this team to implode in a few years. Broberg is too important. We don't have anyone in the system comparable, and no hope of getting a pick in the range we got him either.

Our window to win is NOT the next two years. It's more like the next 8. If the goal is the cup the smart play is to take slightly worse odds this year and have more kicks at the can. Even with slightly worse odds we could very well still win

There's also the possibility that we need the youth and speed to win the cup this upcoming season. We are one of the oldest teams in the league. We shouldn't expect Barrie to replace what Broberg would. If Broberg is on the verge on a breakout season like Bouchard did, he can be THE x-factor in a cup win. Barrie is always just going to be third line replacement level play with some PP utility.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Holloway made a bad decision. His OS isn’t really that great. He would have had a chance to play higher up in the Oilers line up as soon as 25-26 on a cup contender. Now, who knows if he ever sniffs the finals again or gets close. I constantly hear veterans telling young players to “enjoy the ride” because you never know when you will get there again
You also hear players saying to enjoy the ride… as in you could get injured tomorrow and never play again. Holloway just secured an extra couple of million on this contract and likely more on his next contract as well.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Unfortunate that it came to this, I want to see both players signed, however not signing Broberg will be a huge mistake talked about for years. He is just starting to come into his own, the way he played in the toughest games of the season was amazing. He very well could be our best defensemen by years end. $4 million will look like nothing.
You're wrong actually. He and Nurse had incredible puck luck that wouldn't be sustainable:

"while Broberg did average the most controlled exits on the team, he also held the second-highest failed exit rate."

This whole idea that Broberg did awesome in the playoffs is a bit of a shiny package with a turd inside. He was decent on the left side with Ceci, but pretty awful on his off side.

So he'd be good as a Kulak replacement, but not at 4.6 million x 2. He's not able to play on his off side with Nurse effectively, and once again especially not at 4.6 x 2.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The big boys were also little boys playing for their own bag at one point too so I'm sure they understand.

The big boys who are expected to take 12 million instead of 15 million (which is still silly for anyone to expect athletes to take discounts and who have already set up themselves and their families for life) is far different from the small boys trying to set themselves and their families up for life being expected to take league minimum instead of double league minimum.
Wrong. Take care of the super talented elite players before paying the little dicks. Or you'll eventually end up with a team 100% comprised with little dicks.

Don't turn this into a morality debate, all players are not f***ing created equally.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You also hear players saying to enjoy the ride… as in you could get injured tomorrow and never play again. Holloway just secured an extra couple of million on this contract and likely more on his next contract as well.
I'm sure it's what the poster posted. Hemsky also said something similar. When they had the 06 run, he kind of assume he was going to see many more playoffs runs after that. Turns out it was the beginning of the decade of darkness.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There's also security in getting that $75 mill plus guaranteed. I mean, once he signs it in 2025 at age 25, he can't be bought out at 1/3 the balance. He would play year 1 and be 26 in the first year of the contract. Thus it will be 2/3 of whatever is remaining after year 1 of the deal if he were to somehow be bought out. So, for sure he'd pocket $50 plus mill. That's the main tradeoff. You get the money locked in and your family's financial future is more than secured for generations.

Not impossible to do a 4 year deal. DCat of Det just did that vs go max term.
No question security is a reason Bouchard may want to go long term. That I completely agree with. But more so because of the guaranteed part. I don't think the fear of a buyout is to significant for a guy his age. If he was bought out he gets 2/3 of his deal and would easily be able to re-sign somewhere for at least 1/3.

If this was only a decision for Bouchard that would be one thing. But because he would be an RFA with limited leverage the Oilers will also have some say. How these OS's play out will have an impact. If they match either deal it will mean less cap space for Bouchard than otherwise expected next year. If they don't match either deal I think a longer term deal for Bouchard becomes more likely.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No chance this leads to Holloway getting more on his next contract imo. Worse players and no playoff boost.

Reactions: foshizzle

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am actually on the players' side here. There are some fans who resent them because this does hurt our team. Not me.

Even the narrative of the Blues screwing the Oilers is a bit off. Offer sheets are there because the players want them, not the owners and GMs. The whole purpose of offer sheets is to prevent teams from abusing their power and leverage over young players. The Oilers are guilty of doing that. We all applauded Jackson for getting those UFAs at good prices but it forced young guys to take money well below their worth and to accept lower roles with no hope of advancement

And imo management can salvage this by making decisions that pay off. Maybe walking from both these guys is the right move but it might be what wrecks us. They will be judged on how this pans out. Imo betting against Broberg is not smart

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This isn't true, both statistically and it's even reported that Broberg himself hates the right side.

Broberg is actually very strong whenever he plays LD, which is causing me a little bit of pause because he was mostly tossed on the right side. His best performances of the playoffs in the Stars series was on the left side next to Ceci when Kulak moved up to babysit Nurse.

A coaching mistake that doesn't get talked about was moving Kulak down to 3LD and Broberg up to play with Nurse on the account that Kulak doesn't feel comfortable on the right side. The Kulak - Nurse pair was way better than with Broberg, and Broberg played by far his best hockey on the left side on the third pair.

While this is true it also highlights the major problem here. This team absolutely cannot pay Broberg 4.6M per year to play the third pairing role/minutes. Kulak is making significantly less than that and is still too expensive for the spot really.

So if the team wants to keep him, the options are trade one of Ekholm/Nurse(not happening, obviously) or trade Ceci and play Broberg as the #4 on his offside.

Reactions: K1984

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I am actually on the players' side here. There are some fans who resent them because this does hurt our team. Not me.

Even the narrative of the Blues screwing the Oilers is a bit off. Offer sheets are there because the players want them, not the owners and GMs. The whole purpose of offer sheets is to prevent teams from abusing their power and leverage over young players. The Oilers are guilty of doing that. We all applauded Jackson for getting those UFAs at good prices but it forced young guys to take money well below their worth and to accept lower roles with no hope of advancement

And imo management can salvage this by making decisions that pay off. Maybe walking from both these guys is the right move but it might be what wrecks us. They will be judged on how this pans out
If you're making millions to play hockey. You're really not getting screwed over. I know they're humans too. But they cry with dollar bills. We cry with tissue papers

Reactions: harpoon

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Wrong. Take care of the super talented elite players before paying the little dicks. Or you'll eventually end up with a team 100% comprised with little dicks.

Don't turn this into a morality debate, all players are not f***ing created equally.
It's not a morality debate.

The elite players were taken care of, and will continue to be incredibly well taken care of.

We saw what happened to the last guy who took less for the team to help spread the wealth around. He was just sent packing to f***ing Buffalo.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Glad to see that by page 80 we are all on the same page.

These two guy did not play an integral part in getting us to the playoffs and/or to game 7 of the final.

How can we ask others to leave money on the table and cave and match these inflated offers.

The offers are both 1 dollar less than the next compensation thresholds. 1 dollar more and we get a 1st and a 3rd for Broberg. Its like he gave the Org the finger.

There gone. time to move on from them.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's not a morality debate.

The elite players were taken care of, and will continue to be incredibly well taken care of.

We saw what happened to the last guy who took less for the team to help spread the wealth around. He was just sent packing to f***ing Buffalo.
NONE OF OUR ELITE PLAYERS ARE EXTENDED LONG TERM !

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's been reported that Oilers brass knew what each player wanted, and if this is the case and the numbers are accurate, 1.8 for Broberg and 1.2 for Holloway, then it's on JJ for not inking them to deals. Instead it seems that they tried to let it slide and get them on cheaper deals.

I'm having a hard time blaming anyone but the current boss, but this is all based on reports that I don't know the validity of.

My initial reaction was to absolve the front office of mismanagement because I felt like it was on the two players for signing the deals to begin with. But I can't blame players for going after money. Ever.

So I dunno. Really seems like Edmonton tried to lowball, for right or wrong, and it bit them. That's on the Oilers.
Put yourself in Broberg and Holloway agents shoes for a minute. Would you advise your client to sign a new deal mid season when they were both not in the lineup?

Then fast forward to the end of season, there’s been chatter around the league of offer sheets and one GM in particular has made very direct comments about it. You look at the Oilers cap situation and where your players are at and do you think to yourself that they could be prime targets for offer sheets?

Then you have to think an offer sheet would have to be considerably more then the reported 1.2 and 1.8 that you are asking, so in that case would you advise your client to sign with Edmonton even if they were meeting your ask? Or would you say to them, hey why don’t we wait a week or two and see if there is any smoke to this offer sheet fire?

What downside for them is there to waiting a week or two in order to listen to potential offer sheet offers before seriously negotiating and signing with Edmonton.

Reactions: rec28

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you're making millions to play hockey. You're really not getting screwed over. I know they're humans too. But they cry with dollar bills. We cry with tissue papers
Everything is relative. Broberg and all athletes who take the huge gamble to have a career in pro sports deserve to live on a higher standard than those of us who played it safe. Compare NHL players to other NHL players. Of course Broberg was screwed over

Reactions: nabob

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No question security is a reason Bouchard may want to go long term. That I completely agree with. But more so because of the guaranteed part. I don't think the fear of a buyout is to significant for a guy his age. If he was bought out he gets 2/3 of his deal and would easily be able to re-sign somewhere for at least 1/3.

If this was only a decision for Bouchard that would be one thing. But because he would be an RFA with limited leverage the Oilers will also have some say. How these OS's play out will have an impact. If they match either deal it will mean less cap space for Bouchard than otherwise expected next year. If they don't match either deal I think a longer term deal for Bouchard becomes more likely.
Only using the 2/3 buyout as a minimum of what he'd be guaranteed to earn. Typically higher end RFAs don't file for arb. They use the leverage of not playing, thus hurting their club in the standings to play without them, in order to get the deal they want. Maybe only for guys who did a 3 year bridge and thus are a year away would they file, just to ensure a pressure point that the club try to get them signed before a potential walk out the door.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yamamoto at $2m proved WAY more than Dylan Holloway, and we sorta had to add a sweetener to get Detroit to take him.

Yamamoto came off of a 20 goal season, followed by a 10 goals in 58 games on the 3rd line. Holloway has scored 9 goals in his career across 89 games.

Why the hell would anyone claim Holloway at $2.3m? He hasn't even proven he can do what Puljujaarvi did. Scored double-digit goals for us 3 times.

The difference is Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto are valuable players at $1m, but are absolutely abysmal at $2m.

was Holloways 7 points in 25 playoff games adequqate?
But Yamamotos 7 points in 14 games was abysmal?
Why

Sorry but at $2.3m there will be no takers for Holloway if we waived him at that cap hit.

What's even funnier is if we signed Holloway to that atrocious cap hit and then wanted to trade him to the Blues, they would likely ask for a sweetener from us.

We need to understand by NOW that we can NOT overpay for depth players.
Because Yamamoto was getting those pts largely in topsix. Yams had lots of minutes and prime minutes. Holloway is a player that is up and down the lineup and he's capable of producing some in a lot of configs.

Next. Holloway had FIVE goals and 7pts. Yama had 2G and 7pts. Which is MORE of a contribution? I'll pick the goals almost every time. Further that spring was the only time Yama ever produced a drop in the playoffs. The player had .333 pts/G in playoffs while being in topsix.

Reactions: ujju2

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Beside Nurse. Yes they weren't amazing but it's a pairing that can be built by progression and experience. Nurse the risks and goals. Broberg the smarts and smart defensive play.

Broberg is more comfortable on the right side. This pair can work if we decide to match Broberg
So, never in Broberg’s career has he performed well on the right side. Never. Not in Sweden, not in the A, not in the NHL. To expect him to have any level of success in the NHL would be foolish. He was worse than Ceci on Nurse’s right side. Broberg may be comfortable on the right side- he certainly can’t play it.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Broberg is more comfortable on the right side. This pair can work if we decide to match Broberg
No, he isn't lol.

1723741049078.png

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
NONE OF OUR ELITE PLAYERS ARE EXTENDED LONG TERM !
Because they're already under contract, coming off massive 8 year deals already. Bouchard will get paid. Whether he gets 8 9 or 10 million is irrelevant. He's going to be extremely well taken care of.

Fans expecting players to take discounts is batshit crazy. Maybe you should get all pissy at the team throwing 3 million dollars at Jeff Skinner who has never played a playoff game in his life instead of signing both Holloway AND Broberg with that money. Especially after they just helped contribute to a Finals run.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Everything is relative. Broberg and all athletes who take the huge gamble to have a career in pro sports deserve to live on a higher standard than those of us who played it safe. Compare NHL players to other NHL players. Of course Broberg was screwed over
I don't how anyone can say Broberg got screwed over. He became a better player because of getting slow cooked and it has shown in the playoffs. This is just ungrateful talking. This is like a kid getting upset at his parents for sending him to college and he got a degree and a job out of it when they kid wanted to work at McDonalds for some quick cash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad