Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I personally don't want Holloway back. Rather have the 3rd and use it at the deadline. Idiot can't even see he's just a pawn to handcuff the Oilers. If Broberg was the only one getting offersheet, I bet you we match that right away.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Klingberg healthy enough to play? If his hips are good to go sign him and Nick Cousins on one year deals respectively.

Take the compensation picks and flip them for defensive upgrade at the TDL.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Yamamoto at $2m proved WAY more than Dylan Holloway, and we sorta had to add a sweetener to get Detroit to take him.

Yamamoto came off of a 20 goal season, followed by a 10 goals in 58 games on the 3rd line. Holloway has scored 9 goals in his career across 89 games.

Why the hell would anyone claim Holloway at $2.3m? He hasn't even proven he can do what Puljujaarvi did. Scored double-digit goals for us 3 times.

The difference is Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto are valuable players at $1m, but are absolutely abysmal at $2m.

Why was Holloways 7 points in 25 playoff games adequqate?
But Yamamotos 7 points in 14 games was abysmal?

Sorry but at $2.3m there will be no takers for Holloway if we waived him at that cap hit.

What's even funnier is if we signed Holloway to that atrocious cap hit and then wanted to trade him to the Blues, they would likely ask for a sweetener from us.

We need to understand by NOW that we can NOT overpay for depth players.
Ummm, I think St. Louis wants him for that price and just may put in a claim. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Heavy Dee

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
To echo what a lot of people are realizing, the Oilers have to let both players go.

Cap space is the most valuable commodity and the picks are a bonus. f*** em.

Reactions: McDrai

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
ST. Louis shits.

Gotta give credit to St.Louis. They really exploited the Oilers cap crunch. But the price for Broberg is insane. He'd be worth if he's a top 4 d-man next year, which he may not be.
Keep in mind that what the current price tag for Broberg is more than just his value. It is also the price of having to make this a difficult decision for the Oilers. If it was a reasonable price then it’s just an easy match and there’s no point of the offer sheet in the first place.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't want the picks but with no 1st or second this year you might have to.

That said if the second pick isn't traded then it's a huge fail by management.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I partially lean towards letting them walk and running with the narrative that we want people that want to be here. Acknowledge that they both are well compensated but that would hurt the teams chances at winning a Stanley Cup.
I get your point, but you can't.

How do we replace them? You can't really trade more young players after you've just lost 2.

Oilers have no choice but to match.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I personally don't want Holloway back. Rather have the 3rd and use it at the deadline. Idiot can't even see he's just a pawn to handcuff the Oilers. If Broberg was the only one getting offersheet, I bet you we match that right away.
I'd rather keep the guy who will be a big part of keeping this team competitive as Hyman/RNH slow down and Kane/Skinner/Arvidsson exit.

I don't know how anyone can blame the players. This isn't the same as Henrique who's made his money, and is still making 3m in his pay cut.

Career ending injuries can happen. They are making sure they have at least some money put away.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yamamoto at $2m proved WAY more than Dylan Holloway, and we sorta had to add a sweetener to get Detroit to take him.

Yamamoto came off of a 20 goal season, followed by a 10 goals in 58 games on the 3rd line. Holloway has scored 9 goals in his career across 89 games.

Why the hell would anyone claim Holloway at $2.3m? He hasn't even proven he can do what Puljujaarvi did. Scored double-digit goals for us 3 times.

The difference is Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto are valuable players at $1m, but are absolutely abysmal at $2m.

Sorry but at $2.3m there will be no takers for Holloway if we waived him at that cap hit.

What's even funnier is if we signed Holloway to that atrocious cap hit and then wanted to trade him to the Blues, they would likely ask for a sweetener from us.

I'll bet you everything I have that if we waive Holloway there is a taker. Hell, I'll even bet it's the first eligible team, the Sharks.

What on earth are you talking about LMAO

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd rather keep the guy who will be a big part of keeping this team competitive as Hyman/RNH slow down and Kane/Skinner/Arvidsson exit.

I don't know how anyone can blame the players. This isn't the same as Henrique who's made his money, and is still making 3m in his pay cut.

Career ending injuries can happen. They are making sure they have at least some money put away.
Career ending injuries at 22? It can cause anything is possible. But it far more likely they play out a long career. I'm not blaming Broberg. I don't like what Holloway did. He could have waited and still get a bigger bag from the Oilers in 2 years and also play closer to home and family, same opportunity, same ice time, yes you read that right, familiarity, for the cup, there's so much more the Oilers are giving him than St. Louis

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The Oilers getting f***ed by the NHL is hardly a precedent setting event.

The Oilers can match for one player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for the other player while hard up against the cap. The Oilers can match for both players while hard up against the cap. Re-sign these highly important depth players while hard up against the cap while not yet re-signing Draisaitl or Bouchard. Hard up against the cap while not yet signing McDavid.

The Oilers can walk away from one player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from the other player receiving minimal compensation. The Oilers can walk away from both players receiving minimal compensation.

These choices are independent of each other but I can't see re-signing either player while not yet having signed our stars. We just lost our depth and we've yet to re-sign our stars.

Management was silent before the offer sheets and remains silent after the offer sheets. What is Bowman going to say? "Sorry, we just got f***ed, it's haha funny because it's karma."

The Oilers are always the team getting f***ed. We lost cost control certainty on our depth and likely our two best young NHLers. We have yet to re-sign our NHL stars. Obviously I know they can't re-sign McDavid for another season but the fact is we still have to re-sign him.

Most of the fanbase is in shock repeating the bullshit junk the stupid ass media robots are saying. We may have lost the ability to win a cup. Management has to be extraordinary from here on out because we just got majorly f***ed.
Nobody f***ed the Oilers but the Oilers.
They tried to play fast and loose with their two top prospects and lost. That's on them, especially considering the estimated values being reported for both players.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Keep in mind that what the current price tag for Broberg is more than just his value. It is also the price of having to make this a difficult decision for the Oilers. If it was a reasonable price then it’s just an easy match and there’s no point of the offer sheet in the first place.
I'm surprised you want to come over here and talk with a "whiny and entitled" fan base. Is it because few others in St Louis care? Go back to your 9 page discussion and wait a few hours for someone else to chime in.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Honestly, if the compensation was not so puny (2nd round pick), it would be an easy decision. i like Broberg, but I doubt he'll become a top pairing defenseman.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I know Vegas did it, but I think everyone assuming you can just mess around with LTIR as much as you want are in for a rude awakening. Closing the loophole was discussed at the GMs meeting, and so you can bet it’s being watched more closely.

Also there’s no report Kane will be out until the TDL, just random speculation. Sports Hernia surgery has a recovery timeline of 2-4 months, so mid December at the latest. He also has a full NMC so he can’t be traded. But hey, if you want your entire season to rest on Evander Kane’s ability to shut up and go along with a semi fraudulent plan, then be my guest.
The Vegas situation is completely different. This isn’t the same team putting the same guy on LTIR 3 years in a row right before the TD so they can add a bunch of players and then bring the injured player back for game 1.

We know Kane is going to be on LTIR and we know he’s going to be out for months (still likely not till end of season or even TD), he’s got the sports hernia but he’s also got a hip issue, his NMC also turns into a modified ntc on March 1. The key is it buys the team time, any combination of two of Ceci, Kulak, Henrique, Skinner, Arvidsson traded or on ltir allows them to match the offer sheets, bring back Kane when he’s healthy and run a 21-22 man roster. Again it’s not an ideal situation but there’s lots of moving parts and lots of options for the team.

I don’t think they go that route, I think they’ll let one or both walk because this team is trying to win the Stanley Cup over the next two years and paying guys a combined 7M who can’t even crack the lineup or contribute consistently hinders the cause. So wouldn’t surprise me if they take the pick on one or both of these guys and then make the necessary moves to be able to accrue cap throughout the year so at the deadline they’d be able to add a sizeable cap hit or two on players who are more established and more impactful then Broberg and Holloway.

Reactions: grego

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nobody f***ed the Oilers but the Oilers.
They tried to play fast and loose with their two top prospects and lost. That's on them, especially considering the estimated values being reported for both players.

That idiot of a coach who cant get a job now because GMs know he is a fast talking Dallas Eakins clone whose full of himself and his wordy quotes, is massively to blame for this along with that dunce Holland. Hollands legendary patience hurt us just as much as it may have helped us. Woodcroft wanted Broberg as the 7th D in his vaunted 7-11 scheme, Broberg wound up rotting on the bench 57 minutes a night and Holland - the guy who was supposedly the master at player development - allowed it to happen.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Holloway gets claimed by the first team that can.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
The Vegas situation is completely different. This isn’t the same team putting the same guy on LTIR 3 years in a row right before the TD so they can add a bunch of players and then bring the injured player back for game 1.

We know Kane is going to be on LTIR and we know he’s going to be out for months (still likely not till end of season or even TD), he’s got the sports hernia but he’s also got a hip issue, his NMC also turns into a modified ntc on March 1. The key is it buys the team time, any combination of two of Ceci, Kulak, Henrique, Skinner, Arvidsson traded or on ltir allows them to match the offer sheets, bring back Kane when he’s healthy and run a 21-22 man roster. Again it’s not an ideal situation but there’s lots of moving parts and lots of options for the team.

I don’t think they go that route, I think they’ll let one or both walk because this team is trying to win the Stanley Cup over the next two years and paying guys a combined 7M who can’t even crack the lineup or contribute consistently hinders the cause. So wouldn’t surprise me if they take the pick on one or both of these guys and then make the necessary moves to be able to accrue cap throughout the year so at the deadline they’d be able to add a sizeable cap hit or two on players who are more established and more impactful then Broberg and Holloway.
Sorry I thought this was the main board thread, didn't mean to start throwing jabs on the Oilers board.

What I was responding to was the notion I keep seeing that it would be very easy to just put Kane on LTIR and bring him back for the playoffs. Kane can't get a surgery with a 2-4 month timeline and then stretch it 7-8 months without it being side-eyed by the NHL. Also, this is Kane we're talking about, you really want your entire season to hinge on Kane being able to keep his mouth shut and go along with a scheme like this? Guy has already shown he'll fight tooth and nail for playing time.

Also - I agree they'd have options, but they need to give themselves a route back to compliance without injury "luck" (hate putting it this way) or having to do a deal with an outside team. It's just too dangerous a spot to be in and gives other teams too much leverage. They could give themselves that route by only signing Holloway, they wouldn't have one if they sign Broberg or both without trading Ceci at the very least.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

The next time the Oilers can overspend on a roleplayer is when we have Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard all signed to max deals AND we find ourselves with excess cap space.

We don't have any of our big three signed and we certainly don't have any cap space.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad