Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's just a good move all around by St.Louis and Broberg/Holloway to be honest.

I'm amazed this doesn't happen more. Mediocre teams with cap space taking chances on young players from cap strapped teams.

I do find it amusing that putting in Broberg into the playoffs would be such an absolute boon to the player. Really the same for Holloway. These are playoff contracts imo. Never would have been offered if they both were in the press box.

Even if they both fail horribly in St.Louis there's really no risk to St.Louis.. no term to hurt them.

Out of curiosity if we match can we trade them right away? Just thinking if another team wants that contract and may sweeten the draft pick pot in a pure asset management point.

I think this example highlights exactly why this doesn't happen more often and why the Oilers seem somewhat unprepared for the fact that it did.

To get a team that is as hard up to the cap as you can get to even think about walking away they had to give a player a contract at 300% of his projected value. Teams willingly take this risk all the time because who in their right mind would ever do that?

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Or the guy flames out. Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini were drafted between what, like 6-12 in 2014. Ritchie made $12 mill, Virtanen $10 mill, Perlini $4 mill and they are all out of the nhl after 9 years from their draft year.

At 24/25, player who has been pro at the NHL level, teams will begin to cut bait and go with younger guys who have upside potential, if those guys don't produce enough.

Holloway, I get the anger with because the amount, dollar wise, isn't a massive overpay. But, don't know how hard the Oilers were at trying to hold at their number. He and Broberg are not responsible for management's handling of Campbell, (Lucic/Neal), Brown bonus, etc.
I agree completely.
Its impossible to know exactly what Management and the players were thinking but it makes sense to me that due to the cap restraints the team decided that they were going to try and get the best possible deals with players they had control over.
So if that meant pushing out to the eve of an arbitration hearing...so be it.
The Agents for the players are playing a similar game....trying to get the best deal for their clients.

My point is that if the team had the cap space and didnt have so many bad contracts holding them back then there would have been some wiggle room for signing both Holloway and Broberg.
It likely would have gotten done.

I also dont like that the team decided it was better to give Corry Perry $1.15M instead of using that money to help secure a contract with either Broberg and/or Holloway.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That would have been done if that was true.

Yeah, if that was the ask, it would have already been done. I'm not some GM-apologist at all, I hate the Bowman hire with every fiber of my being, both on the personal side, and on the hockey side. But if the asks were 1.8 and 1.2, they would have been done a long time ago.

Edit: I see that Friedman is reporting that those were indeed the asks. If that is true, this is a massive, MASSIVE, MASSIVE, mistake by Jackson/Bowman for not getting it done. Those are both exceedingly reasonable RFA asks, and should have been signed almost immediately. If its true, this is a "pack up your office offence" IMO. Both Jackson and Bowman would be fired if this was true and I was the owner. It's that bad.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Well they got what they wanted I guess………

Sure? I guess keeping him for a year would have been nice before walking away when his arbitration ask was too high. A third round pick sucks but it’s better than nothing.

I like Holloway but I think both of these players are being severely overrated by some, particularly those that want to pile on every negative thing that happens with this org.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Trenin is 5 years older than Holloway. Bjugstad is ten years older than Holloway.

Signing Holloway for 2.3 when he was only asking for 1.2 is poor management, but it's better management than losing a former first rounder that's finally starting to pop and make an impact for a lousy third round pick.

I get the logic, but I hate the sunk cost fallacy that goes with it.

Holloway most likely earns his way into the top 9, but 2.3 mil for a guy that's likely starting on the 4th line is a tough pill to swallow. Especially when he's not really a unicorn skillset. A physical 6'1, 205lb LHS winger, who skates well but doesn't contribute to the PP or PK isn't hard to find.

Hell the Sharks spent a 7th this past deadline to get Kostin while also dumping their AHL boat anchor contract (Simek) in the process. If Holloway doesn't take a step forward this season, that's where his value's going to be too.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What? Playing top 4 on a bad team and putting up good defensive metrics would mean you would put up better metrics with a good team. I have no clue what you are saying there.
Players aren't as good on a bad team as the players on a good team regardless of the statistics, a bad team has to fill a roster with players. Just like the good team.

A bad team will still score goals and win games occasionally, whose scoring those goals and playing those minutes, good or bad players? Capisce?
I would say that both players arent a guaranteed NHL player at the rate they are currently getting paid.
I cant imagine being a young player (with an uncertain future) and walking away from that kind of money.
I dont balme them a bit.
Especially when you hear older players like Henrique talk about how a young player doesnt appreciate how hard it is to get to a Stanley Cup.
If they are making 4.6M and 2.3M respectively they will be playing in the NHL regardless of if they are good players, just so so players or outright bad players.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If management would quit dropping the ball we would've won a Cup already.
We were given the best player in the world (those who believe “bettmans NHL hates us” should think about this. If they truly did hate us, this would not have been allowed). We possess another who depending who you ask is easily one of the top 5 players in the world.
And
For the past nine seasons, instead of surrounding them with a 200 foot, three zone team. We’ve given them 5 head coaches

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Oilers can package the 2nd and 3rd rd compensation picks to replace Holloway much cheaper.
They could get a better more dependable player than Holloway for that... they could get a better player than Broberg for that. You can't replace both for that. Yesterday will go down in history as discount Tuesday.

I actually think most would be OK with losing both players if the Oilers received an additional 2nd rounder. Two second rounders and a 3rd would be a decent haul. A 1st and a 2nd would have also sufficed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We were given the best player in the world (those who believe “bettmans NHL hates us” should think about this. If they truly did hate us, this would not have been allowed). We possess another who depending who you ask is easily one of the top 5 players in the world.
And
For the past nine seasons, instead of surrounding them with a 200 foot, three zone team. We’ve given them 5 head coaches

Welp at least it looks like they finally found a real good coach in Knoblaugh (+ Coffey). Was the best coach in the league last year IMO. Even though none of our GMs had jack to do with that hire, that was basically JJ's hire, lol.

Team finally actually plays defense.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So yesterday was reported the agents had a feeling this could happen and were advising not to sign. Now there is a target for that’s what they were hoping contracts with the oil would come in at. These don’t necessarily need to be mutually exclusive.

That could have been on the table and their side was sitting on it trying to see if this would happen.

I don’t really know if I can fault management as we don’t know what was on the table and if the other side was actually negotiating in good faith and just waiting to see if the offer sheet came and otherwise they would have signed

If you are negotiating with these players in this circumstance, and you are offering the 1.2 and 1.8 they were wanting, and they aren't signing the deal. You have to be smart enough to know something is up and trade them.

I don't know what happened, but its one of these 2 things:
1. They were trying to lowball on expectations of 1.2 or 1.8.
2. They gave the players what they wanted and the players didn't sign.

For #1, its bad mgmt, because those were eminently reasonable asks, and should have been signed the next day. I already explained why #2 is bad.

In either scenario this is a failing of mgmt. If the 1.8 and 1.2 rumor is real, and I owned the Oilers, neither Jackson nor Bowman would be employed today.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And
Since McDavid was drafted, the Penguins(x2), Capitals, Blues, Lightning(x2), Avalanche, Knights, and Panthers have all won the Cup. McDavid basically showed us that he can win the Cup all by himself. It certainly takes time to build a championship team but Chiarelli really set things back a few years and it took a while for Holland's team to break through. Unfortunately we're paying for his misdeeds with the salary cap and inability to draft. This team should've been a contender a few years ago but alas.

There's still time to win it all but management really has to get its shit together and Bowman is now under pressure to handle this tough situation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, if that was the ask, it would have already been done. I'm not some GM-apologist at all, I hate the Bowman hire with every fiber of my being, both on the personal side, and on the hockey side. But if the asks were 1.8 and 1.2, they would have been done a long time ago.

Edit: I see that Friedman is reporting that those were indeed the asks. If that is true, this is a massive, MASSIVE, MASSIVE, mistake by Jackson/Bowman for not getting it done. Those are both exceedingly reasonable RFA asks, and should have been signed almost immediately. If its true, this is a "pack up your office offence" IMO. Both Jackson and Bowman would be fired if this was true and I was the owner. It's that bad.
I take that report with a grain of salt.

He's likely hearing that from somewhere on the player's side because he's never had any scoops on the Oilers management side of things, so it's obviously in the agent's interest to make it sound like the Oilers are the unreasonable ones in this.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Players aren't as good on a bad team as the players on a good team regardless of the statistics, a bad team has to fill a roster with players. Just like the good team.

A bad team will still score goals and win games occasionally, whose scoring those goals and playing those minutes, good or bad players? Capisce?

If they are making 4.6M and 2.3M respectively they will be playing in the NHL regardless of if they are good players, just so so players or outright bad players.

This is exactly what happened to Calgary, trying to replace Johnny Hobbit and Ratchuk with lesser players who were coming from pretty stacked teams. They thought Huberdope was "the guy" lmao.
That's just a similar failure with much more $ and harsher consequences.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Okay so 1,600 posts in and here is my summary:

1. This is somehow Bowman's, Jackson's, Hollands, Nurses and Perry's fault.
2. Doug Armstrong is a genius.
3. You can just trade Broberg and Holloway regardless of the CBA.
4. We should have locked Broberg and Holloway in a room against their will until they signed.
5. The cap doesn't exist.
6. Evander Kane can stay on LTIR forever.
7. Draft picks are useless.
8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is exactly what happened to Calgary, trying to replace Johnny Hobbit and Ratchuk with lesser players who were coming from pretty stacked teams. They thought Huberdope was "the guy" lmao.
That's just a similar failure with much more $ and harsher consequences.
Good ol' Huberdeau. Another good example of why chasing money rarely works out and how teams often improve after getting rid of those types.

I wonder if he'd trade his favourite Lambo to be back on the Panthers last year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good ol' Huberdeau. Another good example of why chasing money rarely works out and how teams often improve after getting rid of those types.

I wonder if he'd trade his favourite Lambo to be back on the Panthers last year.

Actually in his case, he was lucky he signed that contract before Calgary realized what a bust they were getting.

It would've been a bigger disaster for him if he didn't sign that deal.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I take that report with a grain of salt.

He's likely hearing that from somewhere on the player's side because he's never had any scoops on the Oilers management side of things, so it's obviously in the agent's interest to make it sound like the Oilers are the unreasonable ones in this.
I don't believe Friedman. He's trying to say the Oilers don't value Holloway and Broberg at the price.
At that rumoured price, any GM would have sealed that deal.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think this example highlights exactly why this doesn't happen more often and why the Oilers seem somewhat unprepared for the fact that it did.

To get a team that is as hard up to the cap as you can get to even think about walking away they had to give a player a contract at 300% of his projected value. Teams willingly take this risk all the time because who in their right mind would ever do that?
Rebuilding teams should be doing it constantly . cap isn't an issue and what's a second round pick when you just saw broberg play like a top 4 dman in the playoffs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're just going to have to take some more chances on waiver wire and young players that fall out of teams. Kostin was a good gamble, we don't make enough of those kinds of moves.

A player like Valimaki on waivers we could've picked up by throwing a few peanuts at Arizona at the time.

Stuff like that.

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
Okay so 1,600 posts in and here is my summary:

1. This is somehow Bowman's, Jackson's, Hollands, Nurses and Perry's fault.
2. Doug Armstrong is a genius.
3. You can just trade Broberg and Holloway regardless of the CBA.
4. We should have locked Broberg and Holloway in a room against their will until they signed.
5. The cap doesn't exist.
6. Evander Kane can stay on LTIR forever.
7. Draft picks are useless.
8. The sky is falling.

Did I miss anything?
Broberg is going to make $700k more than Bouchard this season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad