Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
My question is...why wouldnt they risk losing Perry before they risk losing either Broberg or Holloway?
When they signed Perry it not only ate up $1.15M in cap space but it sent a mesage to both players regarding how the team prioritizes them.
Did they really think that Perry (a 4th line winger at best) was so integral to the team that they couldnt wait until they settled on either Holloway or Broberg?
They signed a 40 year old Corry Perry on July 1st. They didnt even wait on him at all.
Instead they waited on 2 players who they had invested many years in developing.
The optics are very bad.
The most uninterpreted word on fan sites is "intangibles" It's a debatable term that deserves no justification. Look no further than Keith to understand MANY ppl don't comprehend the concept. You either get it or you don't.

This also doesn't mean is a 100% exact science, like Ference, but it's a strategy non the less

My gut tell me the room loved Perry and as close as they came. A rinse and ripeat made sense

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If the Broberg offer sheet had been for a longer term matching would have tempted me more. But for two years I am more strongly in the pass.

At four or more years the potential of a deal later makes it better. But at two it means you possibly overpay now and when he starts to peak you already know he is going to run to the money, so I won't assume he will look at how the team treated him and care about that as any value at all.

Today I don't see him as being worth 4.5 mill and he is repalceable today. In the future who knows he likely will develop but we cant assume matching will make him more likely to sign again in the future

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Too lazy to keep reading this thread, but I seen that lazy as fuk metamucil sleepy Holland was advised to sign Holloway and Broberg quickly back in January lol

Poor guy was probably taking his grandpa nap everyday.

Same guy who loved his nurse ceci pairing. A pairing only a senile old fuk would love

Reactions: WEMCHUD

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Im actually kind of surprised how well received this move is for st.louis. Fans/media are calling Armstrong a genius for signing spending 6.9M on two guys who got sent to the minors this year instead of going out and getting qn impact player. On top of it they have to give up assets.

The blues could have added Walker and Duclair or Dubrusk/Marchessault.
There is not 1 team out there that would not send a 3rd for Holloway after his showing in the Playoffs or a second For Broberg these guys are already developed and those picks have a very low chance of becoming anything The cap is only 2 years and the Blues have it . Oilers dropped the ball on this one IMO

Reactions: Kolja

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Too lazy to keep reading this thread, but I seen that lazy as fuk metamucil sleepy Holland was advised to sign Holloway and Broberg quickly back in January lol

Poor guy was probably taking his grandpa nap everyday.

Same guy who loved his nurse ceci pairing. A pairing only a senile old fuk would love
Why would Broberg sign in January? He showed nothing, wanted out and was in the minors.

People are acting like these are top pieces, but they spent the majority of last season in Bakersfield. They aren’t needle movers, and wont be over the course of the next two years.

There is not 1 team out there that would not send a 3rd for Holloway after his showing in the Playoffs or a second For Broberg these guys are already developed and those picks have a very low chance of becoming anything
They have 160 games between them…they are not finished products and the last 10 games they played aren’t indicative of their future play.

Reactions: Oilhawks

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why would Broberg sign in January? He showed nothing, wanted out and was in the minors.

People are acting like these are top pieces, but they spent the majority of last season in Bakersfield. They aren’t needle movers, and wont be over the course of the next two years.

They have 160 games between them…they are not finished products and the last 10 games they played aren’t indicative of their future play.
Go look at 2nd and 3rd round picks many of them never see 160 games let alone ones that are showing signs of breaking out , Holloway will still be playing in 10 years Broberg as well

Reactions: Kolja

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Meh. Could be worse. Broberg and Turcotte fighting it out for worst top 10 pick in the 2019 draft.

No one wanted Broberg at the time other than Tyler Wright. The pick should have been Zegras.
The value Zegras has provided on his elc has been immense.

Reactions: stewy04

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Losing Broberg is the big thing here. Holloway is decent, but injury prone and very replaceable. But a cost controlled mid pairing D with upside is not easy to find.

If we match, the cost controll goes out the window. It just sucks no matter what we do with Broberg.

Well played Blues. Well played.
If they did match for Broberg, I don't think this is a good idea, you're locked into the player long term unless he hits it out of the park in year one and you trade him in year two. There are other possible scenarios but I'm sticking to this one for the time being.

It's only well played by St. Louis if the players live up to the contracts and beyond, when they have to qualify them after these two year contracts expire.

Those are big ifs and the Blues are taking a gamble without having great odds imo. It depends on what you think these player's upsides are beyond the two year window and the chances they will top out those predictions. You have to make a statistical prediction then evaluate the cap implications.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Just curious, if Oilers match can Broberg opt to stick with the Blues? I can imagine him prefering the Blues based on how the Oilers handled him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just curious, if Oilers match can Broberg opt to stick with the Blues? I can imagine him prefering the Blues based on how the Oilers handled him.
Nope, he is not an unrestricted free agent we own his rights until/unless we don't match or trade him after the first year of the deal.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Pure speculation on my end- since Broberg asked to be traded earlier this season,maybe he told the oilers he wouldn't re-sign. Also maybe Holloway looked at the roster and figured he wasn't going to get much of a chance. I think we as fans let our bias cloud our judgement. It's a business and players don't have to be loyal.

Probably should have traded Broberg then if they had any sort of sense he didn't want to sign

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's obviously hard to project what these players will turn into, but imagine this was an offer sheet on Yamo after having a taste of success with Drai, and on Bear after showing he can play top pair pretty well with Nurse. Would you have matched back then? Probably, right?

Holloway and Broberg have proven nothing. Much less than those two had and look where they are now.
Take the picks and move on.

We can go the Vegas model and win a cup with zero homegrown talent. (Obviously kidding). Even Florida picked Forsling up on waivers. You win some you lose some, it's the nature of the biz.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It's obviously hard to project what these players will turn into, but imagine this was an offer sheet on Yamo after having a taste of success with Drai, and on Bear after showing he can play top pair pretty well with Nurse. Would you have matched back then? Probably, right?

Holloway and Broberg have proven nothing. Much less than those two had and look where they are now.

We can go the Vegas model and win a cup with zero homegrown talent. (Obviously kidding). Even Florida picked Forsling up on waivers. You win some you lose some, it's the nature of the biz.

Agree. I feel like I'm the only one that's not really bothered by losing Holloway.

He gives me Leafs-era Mikheyev vibes. You notice him when he's out there but doesn't show up enough on the scoresheet to be anything more than a bottom-6er. But at $2.29m? All people did was complain about Foegele making just under half a million more and he was a 15-20 goal scorer.

His most common line was with Draisaitl and Kane and he wasn't even at a 20-point pace while playing nearly half a season.

He's barely a prospect anymore when you see the names drafted around him. Jarvis, Perfetti, Mercer, Lundell.

He had flashes, but he's pretty replaceable.

I was excited to see a full season of Broberg given impactful minutes, but how do you justify that contract?

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Take the picks and move on sure. Problem is though that these guys were being pencilled in as ~$1m players who were going to be able to provide depth and hopefully outperform their cap hit.

Now you need to find two more of those guys a couple months out from the season beginning.

Maybe Savoie or Lavoie can be that guy upfront, but there’s not really anyone on the backend that looks like they’re capable of outperforming a $1m deal.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder how much of this is because of Holland's over ripening of prospects and 'the NHL is not a development league'. How do you balance that with giving kids and opportunity to succeed?

Being a kid in Bako like Lavoie or Rodrigue, having great years in the AHL, only to be called up and play 7 minutes a game or no games at all has got to be crazy difficult. Then you see the Oilers load up with pros that bump you down the depth chart.

Management really needs to be in touch with the kiddos and be like 'I know how this looks, but don't worry. You will get your chances, and if it doesn't work here we will find a new opportunity for you'. I wonder if GMKH made some promises that he couldn't keep.

It's tragic that after all of his 'we won't trade our first round pick for a rental' this is where we end up. All of Kenny's first round picks could be gone.

Not trying to put this all on one exec, I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder how much of this is because of Holland's over ripening of prospects and 'the NHL is not a development league'. How do you balance that with giving kids and opportunity to succeed?

Being a kid in Bako like Lavoie or Rodrigue, having great years in the AHL, only to be called up and play 7 minutes a game or no games at all has got to be crazy difficult. Then you see the Oilers load up with pros that bump you down the depth chart.

Management really needs to be in touch with the kiddos and be like 'I know how this looks, but don't worry. You will get your chances, and if it doesn't work here we will find a new opportunity for you'. I wonder if GMKH made some promises that he couldn't keep.

It's tragic that after all of his 'we won't trade our first round pick for a rental' this is where we end up. All of Kenny's first round picks could be gone.

Not trying to put this all on one exec, I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around.
I blame Holland for drafting this guys in the first place. And certainly the organization didn’t do a good job developing them while he was in charge.

But Holland wasn’t in charge this off season when it came to making all the signings that put this team well over the cap before they were able to sign these two guys.

Jackson played a risky game spending so much on Skinner, Henrique and Arvidsson and bringing back guys like Brown, Janmark and Perry instead of finding players closer to league minimum. Unfortunately that risk has come back to bite us with Holloway and Broberg. Hopefully it will pay off come playoff time.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Take the picks and move on sure. Problem is though that these guys were being pencilled in as ~$1m players who were going to be able to provide depth and hopefully outperform their cap hit.

Now you need to find two more of those guys a couple months out from the season beginning.

Maybe Savoie or Lavoie can be that guy upfront, but there’s not really anyone on the backend that looks like they’re capable of outperforming a $1m deal.

Yup, I agree.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Well, that guy on the backend was always going to be a trade deadline acquisition. We might have had to trade Broberg and Holloway to get that player. Now it will likely be picks.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Agree. I feel like I'm the only one that's not really bothered by losing Holloway.

He gives me Leafs-era Mikheyev vibes. You notice him when he's out there but doesn't show up enough on the scoresheet to be anything more than a bottom-6er. But at $2.29m? All people did was complain about Foegele making just under half a million more and he was a 15-20 goal scorer.

His most common line was with Draisaitl and Kane and he wasn't even at a 20-point pace while playing nearly half a season.

He's barely a prospect anymore when you see the names drafted around him. Jarvis, Perfetti, Mercer, Lundell.

He had flashes, but he's pretty replaceable.

I was excited to see a full season of Broberg given impactful minutes, but how do you justify that contract?

Leafs era Mikheyev is a hell of a player for 2.3 million. You take that all day every day.

I'm the other way on Broberg. Guy was the only fresh player in a sea of tired ground to shit guys and still looked a little mediocre. I've said it before - if he came into camp the way he did last year I wouldn't be surprised if he literally didn't make the team.

Reactions: Dirk Dangler

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Letting the emotion of it all die down, it makes sense to match Holloway, but let Broberg walk - which sucks, because I really hoped he would be part of this teams future.

I think it's far more likely that Holloway earns this contract than Broberg. In a year where we the team has asked players to take a cut to win, Broberg making millions more than his current value is sadly just a bad fit.

I know we aren't allowed to trade the players, but is there still the ability to negotiate with the Blues?

example.

"Kane will be on LTIR all season and we have a deal in place to move Ceci, so we can match both. If you throw in an extra pick, we won't match on Broberg."

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Broberg and Holloway could have been told by there agent not to sign anything right away. Knowing the position the oilers were in might of told them let’s wait out the summer and see if there’s any offer sheets that materialize. Nobody knows why the oilers didn’t get them signed earlier.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad