Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Jets 7PM CST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Manly

Feb 25, 2015
Saint Louis
Man, Peg is a frustrating team to play against. Their forecheck was on POINT last night.

I still don't understand how we came out of that with 2 points.... Oh wait, yes I do......Binny must have channeled Hasek in a pre-game séance.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I didn't have a chance to see the game. I was monitoring it pretty closely online, and could tell it was a slog for us. Coming out of something like that with 2 points is a good sign. Especially against a team within the division that is probably going to be in the mix at the end.

Binnington is just that way. Nobody is going to confuse him with vintage Ken Dryden, but when you need him to have a vintage Dryden-esque game, there are a lot worse goalies to have back there. In fact, we've had several of them in the past.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There is a legitimate chance that last night's goalie matchup was a preview of the goalie matchup when Team USA plays Team Canada at the Olympics. And Binner stole the show. I'm curious how much Binner is using the Olympics as fuel this season. He seems like he is one of those athletes who is at his best with a chip on his shoulder and the door is wide open to make Team Canada in net. He absolutely stole us 2 points last night and it isn't the first time he has done it this season. We beat Vegas 3-1 on the night where he stopped 42 of 43. Our 3rd goal was an empty netter. His only shutout of the year came against the Hawks where we dominated but could only get 1 past Fleury. We're now 2-1 in games where he has faced 40+ shots and 3-1-1 when he faces 35+.

It is a long year and that position is the streakiest in the sport. But from my eye test, I think that his play this month is the best I've seen out of him in his career. We are bleeding chances and he is making tons of great saves. He has had 9 game stretches with a better raw SV%, but those were supported by top-end defense that was limiting quality chances.

At 5 on 5, we have the 4th worst xGA/60 in the NHL. Yet we are 11th in actual GA/60. The following stats are all 5 on 5 numbers: Binner is facing the most high danger shots per 60 among goalies with 4+ games played. Binner has the highest expected goals against per 60 among goalies with 4+ games played. Binner is facing the 4th most rush attempts per 60 among goalies with 4+ games played.

We have been one of the hardest teams to play behind this season and he has been great back there. He is the team MVP so far and I don't really think it is all that close (even though we have had a number of good performances up front). He is allowing us to open up the offense at the expense of team defense and he's stealing us points in a lot of games where the offense goes cold.

It's a long season and I don't expect him to play like this all year (I wouldn't expect any goalie to). But if I had to pick Team Canda's goalie today, I'd expect Binner to be their #1. Hart is playing very well right now, but was a disaster last year and I don't think his big-game pedigree matches what Binner did in 2019. Price is the best goalie alive when he's on his game, but he loses his game for long stretches and is currently not playing. Fleury has been up and down this season and has a history of wilting in the playoffs. Blackwood has missed most the year so far with an injury. Kuemper has looked pedestrian in Colorado and Smith is old and injured. If Binner keeps this up, he's going to be a current top 3 performing goalie of Team Canada's options and he happens to have the trust of Team Canada's GM. I think he's the front runner at the moment.

Last edited:

Puck Luck

Jan 13, 2021
I only caught the 3rd and OT, but I'd rather the refs call very little than call the ticky tack crap. There was a lot that was overlooked (including some very obvious penalties), but it's hard to watch a ref-fest game. Let em play!

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
So glad to see Berube mix the lines up last night. The offense was inept most of the last two games.

The Blues were noticeably better in the O-zone from that point in the game forward.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
We have to make room for Perunovich NOW. He is an exceptional talent. If Colorado can play Makar and Byram why can't we play Perunovich? Show some balls for once. He should get schooled alongside Paraynko and not play with a limited player like Bortuzzo.

Krug - Faulk
Perunovich - Parayko
Scandella - Bortuzzo

Third pairing sucks but what can you do.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jets look like the team to beat in the Central. Not the Avs. Not the Mild. Maybe the Blues...but we're talking the team for the Blues to have to beat. Dallas got old in a hurry. I think Nashville can keep ahead of Dallas and fight for the #5 spot, but Winnipeg is the scariest team in the division with those forwards and goaler.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jets look like the team to beat in the Central. Not the Avs. Not the Mild. Maybe the Blues...but we're talking the team for the Blues to have to beat. Dallas got old in a hurry. I think Nashville can keep ahead of Dallas and fight for the #5 spot, but Winnipeg is the scariest team in the division with those forwards and goaler.
I do like their roster makeup a lot. They lost a lot of their depth and physicality over the past couple years but they got it back now. They are big, fast, physical and skilled.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I do like their roster makeup a lot. They lost a lot of their depth and physicality over the past couple years but they got it back now. They are big, fast, physical and skilled.

We’ll be much bigger and physical when Schenn, Sunny, Mikkola and Joshua are back and regulars.

Reactions: BlueMed

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We’ll be much bigger and physical when Schenn, Sunny, Mikkola and Joshua are back and regulars.
Yeah I’m looking forward to a healthier lineup with more of an identity. We missed guys like that a lot last night.

I’ve long thought our team has always fed off of a crash and bang line and we didn’t have it with Neal being slow and Neighbours being in over his head.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
We have to make room for Perunovich NOW. He is an exceptional talent. If Colorado can play Makar and Byram why can't we play Perunovich? Show some balls for once. He should get schooled alongside Paraynko and not play with a limited player like Bortuzzo.

Krug - Faulk
Perunovich - Parayko
Scandella - Bortuzzo

Third pairing sucks but what can you do.

That's an awesome 3rd pairing though.

Reactions: BlueDream

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
Nope. Avs will pick things up and pass all the teams when they get healthy, wait for it.

Edit: Just read that McKinnon is out for three weeks hmm. If they have a bad stretch with him out it can turn ugly, but I have a feeling they will be one of the top teams in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad