Half-Assed GDT: Blues host the stupid, sexy Stars - 7pm central

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Even Panger called out Niko on 101 for that idiotic play on the Robertson goal.
no clue why chief keeps giving that clown ice time. waste of a roster spot.

Why didn't you? It takes like 30 seconds from your phone to make the type of GDTs you make. Why not use those GDT powers to will your favorite team to victory?

#fakefan #thedizeesfault
not my job to bail this team out.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Leivo's success has come from working down low to retrieve pucks and find someone in the slot, not shots from distance or threading the puck between defenders. Perron's success on the PP is because he's a threat to do both at all times, and he was especially good at finding the opposite trigger man attacking downhill before the defense realized what was happening. Leivo isn't that kind of player.

Don't forget that he would actually shoot the f***ing puck. Taking one timers is pretty useful.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That would be an 'aw shucks' type of loss if the team was chugging along at a .650ish point pace this year. I thought our overall effort was a B, which is generally fine on a Monday night in November at the tail end of a super busy stretch. It is harder to shrug off that type of game given how the season has played out so far.

The last 4 games un-did a lot of the work they did to dig themselves out of the hole during the 7 game win streak. Salvaging 2 points in 20 minute effort in Florida kept us above Calgary, Vancouver and Nashville for the moment, but we're back onto the knife edge.

We're creeping up to the point where Army made tangible changes in the 2018/19 season. After 22 games, that 2018/19 team was 8-11-3, which was good for 19 points. We've got 3 more points at the moment, but that is solely due to results in OT and shootouts. Both teams are/were at 8-11 in the 19 games decided in regulation, but the 2018/19 team was 0-3 after 60 minutes while this year's team is 3-0. Yeo got fired after 19 games when the team was 7-9-3, but it seems pretty clear that firing Berube isn't going to be the first card Army plays.

Chad Johnson got waived at the 28 game mark while holding a 2-6 record through 7 starts and 3 relief appearances. He had an .884 SV% and a putrid -6.5 GSAA. Greiss certainly hasn't been that bad, but I don't think anyone would argue that his play has been anything above serviceable. He's 2-3 with a .903 SV% and a -.4 GSAA. I wouldn't say he's on the hot seat to be moved out, largely because a 22 year old Hofer is in a much different stage of his development than a 25 year old Binner was. You don't want Hofer to play a pure backup role for the next couple months and we're not going to just suddenly relegate Binner to a tandem role. I don't care what the numbers say, Binner has played like a starter this season and it is way too early to turn the NHL crease into a pure development tool. Frankly, I think running Hofer out there behind this current group is a recipe to destroy his confidence.

Both of the cards Army played in 2018/19 to try and salvage something before Christmas don't seem likely for this group. But I bring them up to demonstrate that we are at or incredibly close to the 'end of the runway' Army referenced when he addressed the media during the losing streak. We're past the point that we made a coaching change in 2019 and we're quickly approaching the point where we waived the crappy backup. We have 7 games over the next 2 weeks and none of them are against bottom 10 teams. This team is streaky and unpredictable as hell, but I can't imagine that the runway lasts any longer than those 7 games unless they pull a good chunk of points out of them. Something is going to happen between now and the 30 game mark unless the current group goes on another hot streak.

I don't think that ROR or Tarasenko trades would be the first card Army plays because those guys likely have more value closer to the deadline. Krug has only played 15 minutes in each of the last 2 games. He had 2 great assists against Florida and had a couple good outlet passes that led to rushes last night. But Berube has clearly lost faith in his ability or willingness to defend/compete against top competition. He's a -3 in those 2 games despite the two even strength assists. I wonder if the first card played is to healthy scratch him.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Had to catch the 3rd period on radio, and based on the call on 101 ESPN it seemed the Blues settled into some of their bad habits again. Credit to Wedgewood and some stingy defense by the Stars last night they stopped plenty of good chances all night.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That would be an 'aw shucks' type of loss if the team was chugging along at a .650ish point pace this year. I thought our overall effort was a B, which is generally fine on a Monday night in November at the tail end of a super busy stretch. It is harder to shrug off that type of game given how the season has played out so far.

The last 4 games un-did a lot of the work they did to dig themselves out of the hole during the 7 game win streak. Salvaging 2 points in 20 minute effort in Florida kept us above Calgary, Vancouver and Nashville for the moment, but we're back onto the knife edge.

We're creeping up to the point where Army made tangible changes in the 2018/19 season. After 22 games, that 2018/19 team was 8-11-3, which was good for 19 points. We've got 3 more points at the moment, but that is solely due to results in OT and shootouts. Both teams are/were at 8-11 in the 19 games decided in regulation, but the 2018/19 team was 0-3 after 60 minutes while this year's team is 3-0. Yeo got fired after 19 games when the team was 7-9-3, but it seems pretty clear that firing Berube isn't going to be the first card Army plays.

Chad Johnson got waived at the 28 game mark while holding a 2-6 record through 7 starts and 3 relief appearances. He had an .884 SV% and a putrid -6.5 GSAA. Greiss certainly hasn't been that bad, but I don't think anyone would argue that his play has been anything above serviceable. He's 2-3 with a .903 SV% and a -.4 GSAA. I wouldn't say he's on the hot seat to be moved out, largely because a 22 year old Hofer is in a much different stage of his development than a 25 year old Binner was. You don't want Hofer to play a pure backup role for the next couple months and we're not going to just suddenly relegate Binner to a tandem role. I don't care what the numbers say, Binner has played like a starter this season and it is way too early to turn the NHL crease into a pure development tool. Frankly, I think running Hofer out there behind this current group is a recipe to destroy his confidence.

Both of the cards Army played in 2018/19 to try and salvage something before Christmas don't seem likely for this group. But I bring them up to demonstrate that we are at or incredibly close to the 'end of the runway' Army referenced when he addressed the media during the losing streak. We're past the point that we made a coaching change in 2019 and we're quickly approaching the point where we waived the crappy backup. We have 7 games over the next 2 weeks and none of them are against bottom 10 teams. This team is streaky and unpredictable as hell, but I can't imagine that the runway lasts any longer than those 7 games unless they pull a good chunk of points out of them. Something is going to happen beBtween now and the 30 game mark unless the current group goes on another hot streak.

I don't think that ROR or Tarasenko trades would be the first card Army plays because those guys likely have more value closer to the deadline. Krug has only played 15 minutes in each of the last 2 games. He had 2 great assists against Florida and had a couple good outlet passes that led to rushes last night. But Berube has clearly lost faith in his ability or willingness to defend/compete against top competition. He's a -3 in those 2 games despite the two even strength assists. I wonder if the first card played is to healthy scratch him.
Krug being scratched makes sense as a way for Berube to send a message. Dressing 7 dmen is partially doing that, it's a message to the 4th line guys that they just aren't worth playing, and the defensemen simply aren't doing their job well enough. Trades this early are hard, something would most likely have to be some sort of hockey trade, and we don't have many of those options available. Barbashev and Mikkola would be lower cap rentals, so those could be easier to do before the deadline, unlike ROR and Tarasenko. Everyone else is either inconsequential or signed more long-term, making a trade even more difficult.

Of the guys in a more mid range of term left is Buchnevich, Saad, and Leddy. I don't see Leddy being traded, based on being a solid player on defense and lack of trade value. Buchnevich shouldn't be moved, Army would need to be completely blown away. Saad is somewhere in there too. These guys also have NTC or M-NTC.

Basically, all that to say a trade early is difficult for a few different reasons, a scratch or significant deployment change is more likely, something we've started to see with Krug. This time is probably going to be spent by Army prepping for the deadline, determining, which players are available, both rentals and with term, and what type of assets we are targeting.

Reactions: Brian39

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
One thing I hope we don't do if Army determines the season is lost, is keep Neighbours up if he's clearly not ready. I don't even care about production, but more of a readiness thing. Take Schwartz vs Thompson. We missed the playoffs in 2018, injuries and trades forced Thompson up before he was ready, and he was not good. Schwartz in 12/13 didn't have eye-popping numbers in AHL either that season, but at both AHL and NHL level, he did all the small things right, earned a 1st line promotion for the playoffs, and that next season, he broke out. He was ready, but the production just wasn't there.

Neighbours currently is more Thompson, but I hope at a certain point if he doesn't trend more in Schwartz's direction, we let him play in the AHL to both get the offensive confidence/production, and also work on those small things that don't necessarily lead to offensive production, but makes you a valuable member on the team.

Reactions: mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Barbashev and Mikkola would be lower cap rentals, so those could be easier to do before the deadline, unlike ROR and Tarasenko.
Agree with basically your entire post, but I wanted to single out the Barbie/Mikkola portion for discussion.

While these guys might be easier to trade now, I think they likely also carry more value at the deadline. Both seem like consolation prizes for teams who see the teams around them get better while they miss out on the big fish. I think a team is more likely to overpay for these guys at the deadline than commit to them as their mid-season upgrade in December.

I see both sides of that debate. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them becomes the first domino, but I think I would lean toward holding them unless a team blows me away in December.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Agree with basically your entire post, but I wanted to single out the Barbie/Mikkola portion for discussion.

While these guys might be easier to trade now, I think they likely also carry more value at the deadline. Both seem like consolation prizes for teams who see the teams around them get better while they miss out on the big fish. I think a team is more likely to overpay for these guys at the deadline than commit to them as their mid-season upgrade in December.

I see both sides of that debate. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them becomes the first domino, but I think I would lean toward holding them unless a team blows me away in December.
Yep. I can't recall of the top of my head, but I feel there has been some recent examples of teams pouncing early on these types of players, Barbashev more specifically, where they have a clear role, and a high degree of confidence they can perform it. And they want to get the guy with a low cap hit in before other teams get them. So, I think it's possible that Army could get a high offer for Barbie well before the deadline.

And with Barbie, I'd be sort of curious if he ends up being a UFA that we keep. If O'Reilly is traded or walks, then we sort of have to figure out the ideal line for Schenn next season. Do we want Barbie as a winger on a $4Mish deal, not sure what his exact number would be though. I'm sure Army would want to keep some of the group together and not lose all of Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Barbashev, so that could factor in on when he decides to make a trade.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think we should prepare ourselves to watch Torey Krug receive 25M for three years of bottom pairing defense and then be stuck with him for two years after that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we should prepare ourselves to watch Torey Krug receive 25M for three years of bottom pairing defense and then be stuck with him for two years after that.
If you're ignoring that those dollars helped pay for his first two years here, then you have to admit that we got incredible value out of the $8M total dollars we gave him to be a good offense-first 2nd pair guy and a fantastic PP QB for the prior 2 seasons. He undoubtedly outperformed the $4M a year he made during his first two years as a Blue.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If you're ignoring that those dollars helped pay for his first two years here, then you have to admit that we got incredible value out of the $8M total dollars we gave him to be a good offense-first 2nd pair guy and a fantastic PP QB for the prior 2 seasons. He undoubtedly outperformed the $4M a year he made during his first two years as a Blue.

That doesn't fit the narrative.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You’re saying this to a poster who also agrees it’s a bad contract.

Basically everyone recognizes that except for 2-3 people who are pure homers.

There are also people that claim Parayko and Faulks contracts will age poorly. Krug was worth his contract until this year but at the same time, everyone is having a shitty year. It would have been nice for Krug to get paid less but it is what it is.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So you admit he’s right?

Good God, man.

5458f42ca721b.jpeg

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So we tanking or naw? I can pull the TankTown Express GDT out if needed?

With my luck well start a 14 game win streak tho. Lol

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't see a tank, but we will probably see the writing on the wall mid january. DA will sell at the TDL at that point. Once we lose ROR, Tank, or both, we'll take a nosedive. I imagine we'll finish at the 7th or 8th spot.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't see a tank, but we will probably see the writing on the wall mid january. DA will sell at the TDL at that point. Once we lose ROR, Tank, or both, we'll take a nosedive. I imagine we'll finish at the 7th or 8th spot.

We'll do just well enough to keep us from getting a great draft pick, we'll get an ok one....but not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad