News: Blues do not extend QO to Nail Yakupov

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I hope the leafs can grab for a year for cheep and see if babs can coach him even if hes not on a scoring role , if we can coach him as a shut down player that would be nice

id give him 2 years 1 mill a year any day of the week

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Making up excuses for why this guy isn't NHL material and should be given a 3rd chance makes no sense. It's no different than Pajaarvi, drafted way higher than necessary and just isn't meant to be.

Paajarvi looked like a very respectable Bottom 6 player when he was up with the Blues last year. He's obviously never going to reach his early potential, but he still likely carves out a career in the NHL. He could play as a grinder with some offensive upside on a lot of teams.

Yakupov probably isn't ever going to do that. He's in the Top 6 or he's a healthy scratch.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
How would Yakupov help with that?

LA doesn't have a guy that can score like him. LA needs a Patrick Kane in LA. Someone that doesn't play defense well but can light up the scoreboard. The Kings are loaded with defensive guys that can cover Yakupov's weakness. And he'll get to play with a top Center (Kopitar/Carter) to improve his game. Its a win-win for both team and player. Not try to change him but let him do what he does best.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
LA doesn't have a guy that can score like him. LA needs a Patrick Kane in LA. Someone that doesn't play defense well but can light up the scoreboard. The Kings are loaded with defensive guys that can cover Yakupov's weakness. And he'll get to play with a top Center (Kopitar/Carter) to improve his game. Its a win-win for both team and player. Not try to change him but let him do what he does best.

You understand Yakupov has scored 3 goals and 8 goals in the last 2 seasons right? That's a 5.5 goal average. He doesn't score and he doesn't do anything else either. He's just not good enough to play in the league. That's not even 4th line production.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Arizona maybe?
If the Coyotes hire Todd Nelson, Yakupov should try and sign there. He played his best hockey under Nelson since his rookie season.

25 points (10-15) in 45 games but he really improved after Nelson scrubbed the Eakins stink off. He finished the season with 20 points (9-11) in 28 games.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak has gotten worse and worse each year since his first year in Junior. No joke.
Each year he's gotten worse and worse. But it makes absolutely no sense.

As a close follower, and former fan of Yak, here's the itinerary of his development.

- 49 goals in his rookie Jr. Year. He looked like the second coming of Mike Bossy.
- Then he stagnated in his draft year with lower PPG totals (due to injury and missing Chucky to injury). VERY underwhelming playoffs.

- During the lockout in the KHL, he scores at a high pace. 10 goals, 18 points in 22 games (.818). Other notable players hovering around that same pace:
- Kuznetsov
- Zherdev
- Semin
- Joe Pavelski
- Anisimov

All pundits, scouts, and journalist have Yakupov pegged as a 50 goal scorer.
He does not disappoint his first season:
48Games 17Goals 31 points.
Pro-rates to:
29 Goals 53 Points.

Leads all rookies in scoring, and Goals. Leads the team in goals.
Same amount of goals scored as Martin St.Louis (Art Ross Winner), Hossa, Marleau.

Coach Kruegar fired. Worst coach in NHL history is hired. Dallas Eakins decides to 'rebuild' Yakupov into a reliable 2-way forward, by benching him, playing him 5mins a game, and press boxing him regularly for any hint of a turnover. Yak loses his confidence and his game. He is noticeably worse than he was during his first season.

All his numbers regress.

His third season is by far his absolute worst. Rumors swirl about a trade request. Still averages 5mins a night, and is benched scolded, and rarely ever sees any ice time. Plays most of his shifts in the defensive zone with one of the worst Centers the Oilers have ever had (Eric Belanger) who had 0 goals and 3 points.

Eakins fired. Derek Roy acquired.

Yakupov put on a line with Roy, who seems to whip him into shape. Turns into the mentor Yakupov needed all along. Telling him where he needs to be on the ice, when he needs to be there, and what is expected of him.

Yak scores 21 points in the final 28 games, and looks to have finally turned a corner.
(Yes he was still a defensive trainwreck, but at least he looked to have regained his confidence and scoring touch).

Roy was not renewed, Eberle gets injured in training camp, and Yakupov finds himself on the top line with Connor McDavid.

McDavid uses Yakupov's speeds and unpredictability. Yak goes a PPG in 12 games, before Eberle returns. Everyone says its 100% all on McDavid when not even Draisaitl or Eberle were able to put comparable numbers.
When Eberle returned from injury, Yakupov's offensive game completely disappears on Mark Letestu's line, getting something abysmal like 10 points in the next 45 games. As a line so incapable of generating any semblance of offense, Yakupov frequently tries going end to end deking past every opposing player, failing miserably as his linemates Letestu and Korpikoski usually never skated farther than the red line.

Yak is mercifully traded to one of the most strict defensive coaches in the league, offering the chance to once again, rebuild yakupov into a defense-first player.

Not shockingly, Yak fails pretty miserably in St.Louis.

The Dude is 23. He shows Sporatic displays of offense. He plays an absolutely chaotic game, incapable of any semblance of structure (unless you give him an offensive minded Center), but man he has skill, speed, and a wicked shot.

I mean, I wouldn't want him back in any capacity, but he has such an enticing skill set, I can see several GM's giving him a chance, hoping they can put him on rails and just do what he does best.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
San Jose could take him for a year. We have a good relationship with his agent and Doug Wilson loves a project. 1 year, 1 million, bonuses for ice time, 20 goals, etc. Worst case we waive him 20 games in and he rides the pine for our Calder Cup run. Honestly, it's low risk, high reward at this point.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
You understand Yakupov has scored 3 goals and 8 goals in the last 2 seasons right? That's a 5.5 goal average. He doesn't score and he doesn't do anything else either. He's just not good enough to play in the league. That's not even 4th line production.

Doesn't matter because everyone on LA struggles to score. I'd definitely take a chance on him. LA needs young skilled guys with Top6 talent. Yakupov will find his game with some confidence and a good center.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
As a close follower, and former fan of Yak...

...Yak is mercifully traded to one of the most strict defensive coaches in the league, offering the chance to once again, rebuild yakupov into a defense-first player.

If you followed him that closely, you'd see that his deployment with the Blues was definitely not defense-first.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
or where to be on the ice with, or without the puck which has nothing to do with "ability". All the effort in the world wont trump abysmal hockey iq and its been half a decade and he's gotten worse ( if that is even conceivable) every year.

I really really think the only way he ever plays regularly in the NHL is if he goes somewhere else for a while, most likely the K. If he can solidify his play there there might be interest but as of right now I don't think anyone thinks he's a full time NHL irrespective of where he was drafted. The ship has sailed, he plays another tweener year in the nhl getting miniscule minutes in a role he is ill suited for, the ship sinks.

He really really needs like two good years in the AHL. I'm assuming the Blues are wanting to offer him the same type of deal they offered Pajaarvi. Seems to have worked wonders for Pajaarvi. With our AHL teams forwards and the whole CHI Wolves situation I don't think it will work as well for Yak. Probably better to part ways.

He needs consistent time but the Blues couldn't send him down last year

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Honestly I can't demean the guy. If he put in no effort it'd be easy to criticize him. The fact that he works hard, but just doesn't have the head to play the game is a real shame. It's a real shame his only sport was hockey too. He's a gifted athlete so he probably could have succeeded in a game with less thinking involved. Perhaps baseball.

Lol have you ever played baseball? Higher levels is a very heavy thinking game. Hitters can be dumb but they can't have any thought process whatsoever aside from see ball hit ball, alot different then not alot of thinking. Baseball is a game where you are either a really really good thinker and are a pitcher or catcher. Or you literally are a machine and have no thought process that can affect your confidence.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
If you followed him that closely, you'd see that his deployment with the Blues was definitely not defense-first.

Yup. They didn't really give him a ton of minutes with top line guys, but it definitely wasn't a case where they tried to turn him into a defensive player. He faced statistically weaker competition than any of the Blues key forwards and got almost twice as many offensive zone starts. He was sheltered.

I will say that Hitch didn't use him on the powerplay, which seems like a waste. Yeo started to a bit when he took over but Yakupov got injured toward the end of the year anyway.

I don't think Hitch was the right coach for him, but unless you're just going to hand him a first line gig he's probably not going to do very well. He just doesn't think the game well enough. Hitch never forced Tarasenko or Fabbri to play a different way. He used them in situations that was suited to their strengths and then gradually increased their responsibilities. Yak couldn't make it work.

Last edited:

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
With top 9 scoring lines becoming more desirable. I could see a GM taking a chance with him on a cheap contract to give their 3rd line some scoring punch. I wouldn't, but I'm sure someone will.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Not that it's really my business, but I wonder if he's living on his own yet, or still with his mother, as he did while in Edmonton. I'm just not sure that is the healthiest living arrangement for a guy his age, and he needs someone who will be brutally honest with him, and tell him what he needs to hear, even if it's not easy to tell him or easy for him to hear it; I'm not sure his mom is the right person to be that brutally honest person that he needs.

Coach Kruegar fired. Worst coach in NHL history is hired. Dallas Eakins decides to 'rebuild' Yakupov into a reliable 2-way forward, by benching him, playing him 5mins a game, and press boxing him regularly for any hint of a turnover. Yak loses his confidence and his game. He is noticeably worse than he was during his first season.

All his numbers regress.

His third season is by far his absolute worst. Rumors swirl about a trade request. Still averages 5mins a night, and is benched scolded, and rarely ever sees any ice time. Plays most of his shifts in the defensive zone with one of the worst Centers the Oilers have ever had (Eric Belanger) who had 0 goals and 3 points.

Eakins fired. Derek Roy acquired.

Yakupov put on a line with Roy, who seems to whip him into shape. Turns into the mentor Yakupov needed all along. Telling him where he needs to be on the ice, when he needs to be there, and what is expected of him.

Yak scores 21 points in the final 28 games, and looks to have finally turned a corner.
(Yes he was still a defensive trainwreck, but at least he looked to have regained his confidence and scoring touch).

Roy was not renewed, Eberle gets injured in training camp, and Yakupov finds himself on the top line with Connor McDavid.

McDavid uses Yakupov's speeds and unpredictability. Yak goes a PPG in 12 games, before Eberle returns. Everyone says its 100% all on McDavid when not even Draisaitl or Eberle were able to put comparable numbers.
When Eberle returned from injury, Yakupov's offensive game completely disappears on Mark Letestu's line, getting something abysmal like 10 points in the next 45 games. As a line so incapable of generating any semblance of offense, Yakupov frequently tries going end to end deking past every opposing player, failing miserably as his linemates Letestu and Korpikoski usually never skated farther than the red line.

Yak is mercifully traded to one of the most strict defensive coaches in the league, offering the chance to once again, rebuild yakupov into a defense-first player.

Not shockingly, Yak fails pretty miserably in St.Louis.

I'm glad the phenomenon of blaming absolutely everyone and everything except the actual player is not isolated to Montreal.

Is it possible that Yakupov sucks because of Obama ?

member 157595

I hope the leafs can grab for a year for cheep and see if babs can coach him even if hes not on a scoring role , if we can coach him as a shut down player that would be nice

id give him 2 years 1 mill a year any day of the week

Babcock is a great coach but he cannot turn water into wine, and Yakupov simply doesn't have a good grasp of the what/when/where/why of the game at NHL speed.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He'll find a new team for sure, there's enough intrigue there.

He'll fail and go home eventually, but his best bet would be to go to the AHL and balance himself. Give it another go in the NHL in 2 years.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Watch him go to Pittsburgh and just tear it up on Malkin or Crosby's wing. But it won't be because he is playing with an offensively competent centre it will be because Crosby/Malkin, which would only be part true. Yak has incredible skill and a elite goal scoring ability.

This seems so much like what happened with Zherdev...

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Let Ivan Provorov train him in Philly and I bet this kid starts positively progressing. Oilers Rushed him, Blues were a terrible fit...kid needs a major confidence booster. No reason he shouldn't at least be a 20 goal scorer in this league.

member 157595

Let Ivan Provorov train him in Philly and I bet this kid starts positively progressing. Oilers Rushed him, Blues were a terrible fit...kid needs a major confidence booster. No reason he shouldn't at least be a 20 goal scorer in this league.

Provorov has great hockey sense but he's what, 19/20 years old? Plus he's a defenseman. I fail to see the connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs USA
    France vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Canada
    Norway vs Canada
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $501.00