Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Getting Dahlin is the dream. He's not Erik Johnson, he's franchise player upside.

He is left handed, but he plays the right side. If we won the lottery then it would make dealing with a million Parayko threads worth it.

Still, we have a 5% chance of picking in the top-3. Won't hold my breath, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Bluesguru

illinidave

Feb 15, 2013
Edwardsville, IL
Stltoday article on Tarasenko: When asked if he tried to be too fine, too perfect, on some shots, Tarasenko said: “I had eye surgery last summer, so maybe I can see better. And then try to put (the puck) in like a perfect spot.” Didn't know he had eye surgery.....interesting.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Stltoday article on Tarasenko: When asked if he tried to be too fine, too perfect, on some shots, Tarasenko said: “I had eye surgery last summer, so maybe I can see better. And then try to put (the puck) in like a perfect spot.” Didn't know he had eye surgery.....interesting.
It's really common for players in every sport to have it done now. It's just more convenient that having to deal with contact lenses during games.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Unless that perfect spot was high and wide, I don't think that's the issue.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Unless that perfect spot was high and wide, I don't think that's the issue.
I think maybe the point he is trying to make is that he was trying too hard to pick the perfect spot instead of getting the puck on net and in a generally good area. He was trying to be too precise and that led to a lot of shots going just wide or high.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
People are going to lose their freaking minds when Tavares doesn’t sign here lol.

I’d say we have about the same odds of landing Tavares as we do landing a top 3 pick.

Both are pure fantasy, and people are going to get upset when neither of them happens, as if it will be something we can control.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
People are going to lose their freaking minds when Tavares doesn’t sign here lol.

I’d say we have about the same odds of landing Tavares as we do landing a top 3 pick.

Both are pure fantasy, and people are going to get upset when neither of them happens, as if it will be something we can control.

I'd be surprised if anyone lost their minds over not signing Tavares. I think everyone knows that it's a long-shot at best. But Armstrong will definitely get his chance to make a pitch, and the Blues aren't hopelessly far from contention, so it's not like it's one-in-a-million odds. I'd think the Blues are on a list of 6-10 teams with a realistic chance of luring Tavares. You can't make a guy sign as a UFA with your club, so what can you do besides speculate about it until it's decided?

Reactions: Dbrownss

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Everything you've said here is wrong, it's almost impressive. Just about everyone has a plan B in their heads (Names thrown out thus far I've seen have been Tyler Johnson, ROR, RNH), and we know Armstrong will be making a run at him. We will understand if he picks somewhere else. That said, a team with a need for a 1C where he is the missing piece to be a contender / favorite that also has the cap space to fit him and a superstar for him to play with aren't exactly common. That gives us a better chance that 5% at landing him, which are our mathematical odds at getting a top 3 pick. Everyone understands that it's not a given, but it's an option and it's more than a fantasy.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

+1 bolded is so true. In Blues forum we fans really think we've legit shot to get Tavares. Its wrong to build up hopes what doesn't come true. Its just one sad day, but in HFboard Blues it will be 365 sad days.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Why even post this other then to be divisive? Pure fantasy means zero chance it happens. While we cant put a percentage on Tavares as we dont know what he wants to do, we can put a percentage on a top 3 pick. Because it is a set value, so no...its not pure fantasy.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Well you are correct that it is fantasy. However, so is every other solution that is being discussed to help the roster. There’s been nothing to suggest that ROR, Tyler Johnson, or someone like Wennberg is available, so any discussion to acquire them is fantasy. Honestly, talking about acquiring them is more fantasy then talking about acquiring Tavares. At least Tavares is a UFA, so there is a very possible scenario that we know of that could land him. The others are just pure speculation on the basis that their respective teams don’t want them. Tavares is at least concrete.

My point is that what you said should be applied to all possible solutions. If we as fans shouldn’t get mad that Tavares didn’t come here, then we as fans shouldn’t be mad if nothing gets done because it wasn’t in our control.

Personally, I don’t think that’s correct.

Reactions: HighNote

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We know Army would have make some adjust/moves at off-season when we would go to playoffs, but eventually we didn't get playoffs. Do you guys think this will even put more thinking for Army's head and we for sure see some changes at off-season compare to playoff run and 1st round exit?

If case is we most likely see changes then no major changes, its positive thing to not to get playoffs.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I still can't believe that Chicago game. That has to go down as one of the most epic chokejobs by a goaltender in history. All we needed was to not let them win in regulation while leading 3-1 in the 3rd. But Jake Allen managed to pull it off.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still can't believe that Chicago game. That has to go down as one of the most epic chokejobs by a goaltender in history. All we needed was to not let them win in regulation while leading 3-1 in the 3rd. But Jake Allen managed to pull it off.
How about the choke job by the skaters in Minnesota or San Jose? This team collectively pissed away their chance at the post season

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yeah. I am still angry about that game too. In fact, I keep getting angrier about it. All they had to do was hang on for 8 more seconds, and we're in the playoffs. I agree, however, the whole ream let us down, not just Allen.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

“If someone called me a head case, they might be the head case,” Allen told The Athletic.

Lol.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
ryan merkley would make sense actually

couple years in the future petro and parayko would ve able to shelter him enough so he can be shattenkirk part 2

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
What if someone said that he was one of the worst 2-3 starters in the league this year? That would be accurate.

That person must have been one of the worst 2-3 starters in the league this year as well.

Granted, what is he gonna say when asked that? I'm amazed JR even used those words. But what a stupid way to answer that question. He has to realize it's completely fair to question his mental fragility.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
That person must have been one of the worst 2-3 starters in the league this year as well.

Granted, what is he gonna say when asked that? I'm amazed JR even used those words. But what a stupid way to answer that question. He has to realize it's completely fair to question his mental fragility.

Notwithstanding my criticism of Jake's play this year, if someone used the word "head case" in a question to him, then it's a rude question and I wouldn't blame Jake for a brusque reply.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Notwithstanding my criticism of Jake's play this year, if someone used the word "head case" in a question to him, then it's a rude question and I wouldn't blame Jake for a brusque reply.

Yeah I can't really blame him. That is an extremely unprofessional way to word a question about that. I'm not even sure what way he could answer that that I wouldn't have said "stupid answer" or "what a f'd question" so I can't be too critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad