Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We all know it's there for football, I'd be curious on reports of what hockey players are actually getting though.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Dont kid yourself.
Dinky Town Athletics is the NIL Collective for Minnesota, and there are reports out there, that Snuggy received a deal that was nearly triple what his AHL salary would have been. They where also able to give Matthew Wood a nice NIL package as well.
Over 500,000 Athletes are now receiving NIL funds. While the largest deals are still Power 4 Football, NIL is slowly starting to make an impact in Hockey.
My son is a is being recruited for football, he is c/o 25. He will likely land at a Group of 5 school, in the Sun Belt. The base NIL package for every football players at these schools range from 15-25K. His Team Mate is committed to Alabama, and his NIL offer was well over 100K. My nephew plays at UCF, the base NIL deal at UCF is 47K, a 1-4 year lease on a Ford, a spend allotment at Publix, and a 1 room apartment in downtown Orlando. Dude didn't see the field in one game last season, and that is his NIL package.

Again these are football example's, however NIL is progressing quickly into Hockey.
Link to reports of that? All I can find is the coach saying "our guys get burritos"

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm sure they are getting money. I think the money right now is to the level of getting higher end transfers, look at how Minnesota got Wood, or players that don't have the super high upside will stay in college longer as maybe they can make more than AHL or ECHL. For top picks that can get immediate NHL time or a little AHL time before getting NHL time, it still makes financial sense to turn pro and get that clock started for their next deal.

It's not like football where any decent QB will make 1M+, or where even 3* recruits get good deals because the coaches want to be able to hold onto them as they develop.

The thing with NIL that I wonder about, how would the NHL handle potential tampering. If big money does start pouring into it, I do wonder if certain teams will be more careful with those going the NCAA route.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Dont kid yourself.
Dinky Town Athletics is the NIL Collective for Minnesota, and there are reports out there, that Snuggy received a deal that was nearly triple what his AHL salary would have been. They where also able to give Matthew Wood a nice NIL package as well.
Over 500,000 Athletes are now receiving NIL funds. While the largest deals are still Power 4 Football, NIL is slowly starting to make an impact in Hockey.
My son is a is being recruited for football, he is c/o 25. He will likely land at a Group of 5 school, in the Sun Belt. The base NIL package for every football players at these schools range from 15-25K. His Team Mate is committed to Alabama, and his NIL offer was well over 100K. My nephew plays at UCF, the base NIL deal at UCF is 47K, a 1-4 year lease on a Ford, a spend allotment at Publix, and a 1 room apartment in downtown Orlando. Dude didn't see the field in one game last season, and that is his NIL package.

Again these are football example's, however NIL is progressing quickly into Hockey.

That's football, and that's still less than an AHL salary with signing bonus and per diems.

There was a sports business journal article from last year saying hockey players outside the top couple are mostly getting food, camp frees and equipment. That was a year ago and things could gave changed.

The only article I saw said he got a bundled deal, so I assume that means there is some cash. But the article also said it's not big money in hockey yet. But will be in next 18 months. So I think the AHL package is probably bigger, especially when you factor in bonus, potential call-ups and burning an ELC year. But there is no doubt NIL money made it easier to wait a year.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That's football, and that's still less than an AHL salary with signing bonus and per diems.

There was a sports business journal article from last year saying hockey players outside the top couple are mostly getting food, camp frees and equipment. That was a year ago and things could gave changed.

The only article I saw said he got a bundled deal, so I assume that means there is some cash. But the article also said it's not big money in hockey yet. But will be in next 18 months. So I think the AHL package is probably bigger, especially when you factor in bonus, potential call-ups and burning an ELC year. But there is no doubt NIL money made it easier to wait a year.
Getting a year off the ELC is worth considerably more than the values we are hearing about. As long as a guy returning to college is making his own informed decision about the consequences, it doesn’t bother me. But if we are trying to concoct a scenario where it was in his financial best interest, I don’t buy it.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'd be significantly more worried about Snuggerud if our GM didn't meet with him and his parents/advisor to go over what he wants to do and offer him a spot in the NHL.

By most accounts unless we're grasping at straws, this is a kid who had a parent in the NHL that stressed the importance of gaining an education for life after hockey, or as a fall back option.

I find it hard to believe this is a money situation.

I'll be significantly more worried if he doesn't sign a contract at the end of this season and get a few games in.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Dont kid yourself.

Citation not found.

Various google searches with the terms Snuggarud, NIL, deal, money, amount, etc return no such reports. However, there are tons of recent articles that indicate that NIL money isn't making a huge impact in hockey yet. The head of Dinky Town Athletics was quoted just 2 months ago estimating that NIL hockey money is going to pick up significantly 'sometime in the next 18 months.' He is the main voice pushing for increased money in hockey and even he isn't boasting about the money already being here. A mid-6-figure NIL deal would be truly historic in hockey. It would put his collective on the map and loudly broadcast to every NCAA player/recruit that Minnesota was the top dog by a mile. And yet he won't go into any specifics about amount.

Every article to be found surrounding NIL money in hockey indicates that there isn't substantial money yet.

Michigan's players started an NIL Club where the players on the team interact with any fans who pledge/donate money. Today, they are sitting at $220 dollars raised this month (their goal is $480). The University-wide Michigan NIL collective doesn't even offer hockey merch for the hockey players to profit.

I can't find anything that remotely resembles a report that Snuggy got the type of package you are suggesting.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’ll note that Snuggerud would receive a signing bonus on the day he signs that’s 10% of his total salary. So either $92.5K or $95K, I forget what 2022 draftees get but it’s one of those. The typical AHL salary for higher picks tends to be $80K. If he signed late in the season, he still gets the signing bonus and then the rest is prorated. He would then get another $92.5/95K bonus on July 1, a few months later.

Player compensation is based on a per day basis - are they are the AHL or NHL roster? Let’s say Snuggy spends most of the season in the AHL but is able to earn a call-up for a month. The exact 2024-25 season hasn’t been released yet but it usually ends up a little under 200 days. Let’s say it’s 195 days. $832,500 ($925K minus the $92.5K he already received) comes out to $4,269 each day he’s on the NHL roster. For the 30 days he spends with the Blues, that’s another $128K.

I’d say him spending one month on the Blues is pretty conservative but even with that, he’s looking at about $300k for a full first year of pro hockey. I doubt any hockey NIL deal comes close to that. At least not yet.

I think it’s a pretty safe assumption his decision to return for his Jr year wasn’t a financial decision. He wanted another year to develop, another year to spend with his buddies and go for the National Championship. His family clearly isn’t hurting for money so it makes sense to me.

He seems quite committed to turning pro once this college season is over. I’ll only get concerned if that doesn’t happen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’ll note that Snuggerud would receive a signing bonus on the day he signs that’s 10% of his total salary. So either $92.5K or $95K, I forget what 2022 draftees get but it’s one of those. The typical AHL salary for higher picks tends to be $80K. If he signed late in the season, he still gets the signing bonus and then the rest is prorated. He would then get another $92.5/95K bonus on July 1, a few months later.

Player compensation is based on a per day basis - are they are the AHL or NHL roster? Let’s say Snuggy spends most of the season in the AHL but is able to earn a call-up for a month. The exact 2024-25 season hasn’t been released yet but it usually ends up a little under 200 days. Let’s say it’s 195 days. $832,500 ($925K minus the $92.5K he already received) comes out to $4,269 each day he’s on the NHL roster. For the 30 days he spends with the Blues, that’s another $128K.

I’d say him spending one month on the Blues is pretty conservative but even with that, he’s looking at about $300k for a full first year of pro hockey. I doubt any hockey NIL deal comes close to that. At least not yet.

I think it’s a pretty safe assumption his decision to return for his Jr year wasn’t a financial decision. He wanted another year to develop, another year to spend with his buddies and go for the National Championship. His family clearly isn’t hurting for money so it makes sense to me.

He seems quite committed to turning pro once this college season is over. I’ll only get concerned if that doesn’t happen.
To add on to this, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a cash NIL deal and wouldn't be surprised if it is the largest package ever given to an NCAAA hockey player. I also wouldn't be surprised if that cash package is equivalent to the spending money he would have from his AHL salary alone (AHL salary minus rent/food since he doesn't have to pay for that stuff in college).

Assuming he plans to sign in April/May and still get his 2024/25 bonus, I think there is a realistic scenario where the total compensation package to stay in college is roughly equal to the total compensation package if he had been in the AHL all season. But I agree with you that any type of NHL call up tips the financial scale drastically in favor of being a pro hockey player.

But no matter what, not signing an ELC before 7/1/25 would cost him a huge chunk of money. An ELC signed 7/1/25 would still need to be a 3 year deal, making him an RFA in 2028. If he plays a 4th year in the NCAA in order to sign with a different team, he would get a 2 year ELC (starting 2026/27) and still not become an RFA until 2028. Signing with the Blues this season is the only way that he can become an RFA by 2027.

We are years away from NIL money being able to replace the cash value of a 1st round pick completing his NHL ELC. If this is a purely financial decision, Snuggy should sign with the Blues following his junior year and use his leverage to burn a year of his ELC immediately (which we should be willing to do).

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Getting a year off the ELC is worth considerably more than the values we are hearing about. As long as a guy returning to college is making his own informed decision about the consequences, it doesn’t bother me. But if we are trying to concoct a scenario where it was in his financial best interest, I don’t buy it.

All I can say to this is that a year off the ELC doesn't help you right now. I'm talking about the instant gratification generation. I personally understand your point and find it to be very important.
Citation not found.

Various google searches with the terms Snuggarud, NIL, deal, money, amount, etc return no such reports. However, there are tons of recent articles that indicate that NIL money isn't making a huge impact in hockey yet. The head of Dinky Town Athletics was quoted just 2 months ago estimating that NIL hockey money is going to pick up significantly 'sometime in the next 18 months.' He is the main voice pushing for increased money in hockey and even he isn't boasting about the money already being here. A mid-6-figure NIL deal would be truly historic in hockey. It would put his collective on the map and loudly broadcast to every NCAA player/recruit that Minnesota was the top dog by a mile. And yet he won't go into any specifics about amount.

Every article to be found surrounding NIL money in hockey indicates that there isn't substantial money yet.

Michigan's players started an NIL Club where the players on the team interact with any fans who pledge/donate money. Today, they are sitting at $220 dollars raised this month (their goal is $480). The University-wide Michigan NIL collective doesn't even offer hockey merch for the hockey players to profit.

I can't find anything that remotely resembles a report that Snuggy got the type of package you are suggesting.

You didn't find anything more than likely because it was made up.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
To add on to this, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a cash NIL deal and wouldn't be surprised if it is the largest package ever given to an NCAAA hockey player. I also wouldn't be surprised if that cash package is equivalent to the spending money he would have from his AHL salary alone (AHL salary minus rent/food since he doesn't have to pay for that stuff in college).

Assuming he plans to sign in April/May and still get his 2024/25 bonus, I think there is a realistic scenario where the total compensation package to stay in college is roughly equal to the total compensation package if he had been in the AHL all season. But I agree with you that any type of NHL call up tips the financial scale drastically in favor of being a pro hockey player.

But no matter what, not signing an ELC before 7/1/25 would cost him a huge chunk of money. An ELC signed 7/1/25 would still need to be a 3 year deal, making him an RFA in 2028. If he plays a 4th year in the NCAA in order to sign with a different team, he would get a 2 year ELC (starting 2026/27) and still not become an RFA until 2028. Signing with the Blues this season is the only way that he can become an RFA by 2027.

We are years away from NIL money being able to replace the cash value of a 1st round pick completing his NHL ELC. If this is a purely financial decision, Snuggy should sign with the Blues following his junior year and use his leverage to burn a year of his ELC immediately (which we should be willing to do).

This completely hinges on the assumption that he doesn't spend a year in the AHL. If his AHL deal is similar in money to his NIL deal, it would effectively be a wash.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This completely hinges on the assumption that he doesn't spend a year in the AHL. If his AHL deal is similar in money to his NIL deal, it would effectively be a wash.

Burning a year on his ELC has value. That puts AHL over the top financially, even if the up front money is a wash. And its highly doubtful money is a wash given signing bonuses and how little hockey has gotten for NIL so far.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Given our hole at defense, and given the direction we're going along with the familiarity we have with Walman.

I'm surprised it wasn't Doug that made this deal with Yzerman

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Given our hole at defense, and given the direction we're going along with the familiarity we have with Walman.

I'm surprised it wasn't Doug that made this deal with Yzerman
We know better than to pay Walman that kind of dough. On Sharks he may be their 2nd best defender and they still required high pick. Clearly there wasn’t a market for him, presumably because folks figured out he isn’t good. I’m not gonna rip us for not wanting him back.

Reactions: Blueswin

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
We know better than to pay Walman that kind of dough. On Sharks he may be their 2nd best defender and they still required high pick. Clearly there wasn’t a market for him, presumably because folks figured out he isn’t good. I’m not gonna rip us for not wanting him back.

It brings about the question of where we're at along our development path. I know that we want to remain somewhat competitive. I don't think Walman is awful, but if we're looking at keeping Leddy and presumably Krug in the top 4, I think we could do worse on the bottom pair.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It brings about the question of where we're at along our development path. I know that we want to remain somewhat competitive. I don't think Walman is awful, but if we're looking at keeping Leddy and presumably Krug in the top 4, I think we could do worse on the bottom pair.
As a player I think he would be fine on 3rd pair, but that means krug still with Faulk (which I don’t want). And walman isn’t exactly cheap for 3rd pair. So while it works for sharks I don’t know that it moves needle for us, as it doesn’t address actual area of weakness and costs cap flexibility.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad