Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
This seems like a good place to post this ESPN article.

WHL's Braxton Whitehead commits to Arizona State, challenging NCAA rules

A few salient points:

NCAA eligibility rules ... prevent any player who has appeared in a major junior hockey game from playing college hockey.

The suit seeks to allow players to play hockey in both major juniors and college,

The NCAA has deemed anyone who played in the CHL ... as ineligible because there are players who have signed professional contracts with NHL teams playing in those leagues.

NCAA Bylaw 12.2.3.2 states that "an individual shall not be eligible for intercollegiate athletics in a sport if the individual ever competed on a professional team.

Supporters of changing the CHL rules pointed to well-compensated athletes in other sports -- such as Olympic swimmers -- who had retained their NCAA eligibility

While dropping the restrictions would deepen the talent pool for NCAA hockey, there is fear among some coaches that elite talents would opt not to play college hockey without having the current pressure point of losing eligibility if they chose Canadian juniors instead.

According to one NCAA hockey source, some college programs are "already allocating recruiting budgets" to send scouts to CHL games this season to recruit players.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This seems like a good place to post this ESPN article.

WHL's Braxton Whitehead commits to Arizona State, challenging NCAA rules

A few salient points:
Honestly, it makes sense. Being on a team where some of your teammates have signed a pro contract doesn’t make that team a pro team.

The old argument was that those kids were getting “paid” but 1. not paid by the Jr team and 2. now college players are getting paid as well so…hard to argue that point anymore.

This would be pretty bad for the CHL as college teams could start to poach CHL players, thus making the CHL weaker.

I’ll be interested to see where this goes. He’s got a good case IMO.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Honestly, it makes sense. Being on a team where some of your teammates have signed a pro contract doesn’t make that team a pro team.

The old argument was that those kids were getting “paid” but 1. not paid by the Jr team and 2. now college players are getting paid as well so…hard to argue that point anymore.

This would be pretty bad for the CHL as college teams could start to poach CHL players, thus making the CHL weaker.

I’ll be interested to see where this goes. He’s got a good case IMO.
I like it too. The NCAA is all about money now anyway, so it's about time they start moving in this direction.

Both the NCAA and the CHL will have some initial fears about poaching, but it will work itself out.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I thought Pekarcik was good all night. I like his game. He's got NHL size and skating. He also competes at a high level. He gets his stick on pucks when he forechecks. Lots to like.
Dvorsky slick but made some obvious mistakes. He can definitely control the tempo at times, made slick passes, protected the puck and snaps that wrister.
Robertsson was solid.
On the other hand, Kaskimaki was disappointing. Passes were off or telegraphed.
Dean had more bad than good relative to what I was hoping to see. He's just not where I wish he was.
Jecho is not a top prospect. He just looks young and raw.
Bolduc ... of course he skates well and has skill, but he wasn't able to dominate ... it's one game.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Interesting to see Bolduc at RW.

I’ll admit, every time I think of what the Blues lines could be this season, the hardest part IMO is projecting who will play RW behind Kyrou. Maybe this is Bolduc’s path to making the team and they’re trying him out to see how he looks on his off-wing?

Then again, it could be as simple as someone has to play RW. All 9 of that top-9 are lefties. Only 3 righties in the whole lineup from what I see.

4 counting Dorian but he’s scratched.
I'd certainly like to see Bolduc get a chance on Thomas's RW, would give him some great shooting opportunities.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

I’ll admit, every time I think of what the Blues lines could be this season, the hardest part IMO is projecting who will play RW behind Kyrou. Maybe this is Bolduc’s path to making the team and they’re trying him out to see how he looks on his off-wing?

Then again, it could be as simple as someone has to play RW. All 9 of that top-9 are lefties. Only 3 righties in the whole lineup from what I see.

One of Bolduc's best attributes is his one-timer. In juniors, he was posted on the right side of Quebec's powerplay, and I'd have to think the Blues are evaluating if he is an option as a top 6 RW because Bolduc can play his offside effectively (watch goals 8, 20, 24, 27, 29, 33, 40, 41, 42, 45, 47, 48, and 50 below). Looking forward, his skillset is that of a top 6 forward, and I don't see this organization playing him as a bottom 6 player long-term even if he gets some games on the 3rd line this season. I feel the same way about Snuggerud, and my premature prediction is that Army/Steen will eventually trade the lesser of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

It’s really not surprising. He already played RW for us last season to finish the year and looked really good with Thomas and Schenn.

I think it’s likely that’s where he plays this year since we have more depth on the left side.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
One of Bolduc's best attributes is his one-timer. In juniors, he was posted on the right side of Quebec's powerplay, and I'd have to think the Blues are evaluating if he is an option as a top 6 RW because Bolduc can play his offside effectively (watch goals 8, 20, 24, 27, 29, 33, 40, 41, 42, 45, 47, 48, and 50 below). Looking forward, his skillset is that of a top 6 forward, and I don't see this organization playing him as a bottom 6 player long-term even if he gets some games on the 3rd line this season. I feel the same way about Snuggerud, and my premature prediction is that Army/Steen will eventually trade the lesser of the two.

This isn’t so much in response to your post, but rather the scoring clips.

When I watch that video, I see a guy who scored a vast majority of his goals in the royal road. That’s a guy who goes to the areas you need to score goals. That’s certainly no perimeter player. And of those goals, he had a good handful of tap-ins and deflections.

He is an all-around goal scorer. He really can score any way. His wrister is snappy. I agree that his one-timer is one of his best capabilities.

To your post, I could maybe see why Army could want to move one of the two players down the line, but, while they are both one-time capable on the PP, they seem like different scorers to me. I wouldn’t necessarily move one because they have somewhat similar generic traits. It may make sense to move one for other reasons however. I think it’s too early to know.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

When I watch that video, I see a guy who scored a vast majority of his goals in the royal road. That’s a guy who goes to the areas you need to score goals. That’s certainly no perimeter player. And of those goals, he had a good handful of tap-ins and deflections.

He is an all-around goal scorer. He really can score any way. His wrister is snappy. I agree that his one-timer is one of his best capabilities.

To your post, I could maybe see why Army could want to move one of the two players down the line, but, while they are both one-time capable on the PP, they seem like different scorers to me. I wouldn’t necessarily move one because they have somewhat similar generic traits. It may make sense to move one for other reasons however. I think it’s too early to know.
I’ve been at times a bit down on Bolduc, but I like what I’m hearing of late. He seems to have matured. His talent was never in doubt, but I’ve questioned whether he was content with coasting by on his talent. If he is willing to pay the price he absolutely can be a difference maker.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

Yes, as I mentioned, my prediction is a bit premature at this point. I'd like to see Dvorsky make the team next year, and maybe Holloway can center Neighbours and Snuggerud on the third line.

On an unrelated note, I do find it frustrating that national pundit's continue to overhype Bedard as this "generational talent." He's a smaller version of Auston Matthews and a probable All-star but there are valid questions about his game. I think his smaller stature, average speed, lack of physicality, and unimpressive defense will inevitably force Chicago to reconsider whether Bedard is better suited on the wing than at center. Meanwhile, Dvorsky's lack of explosiveness alone seems to temper many analysts/writer's expectations of him as a middle 6 center despite having many of the same positive attributes Bedard has (great shot, quick hands, smart offensive instincts, etc). I very much see Dvorsky and Bedard as the head-to-head matchup when the Blues and Blackhawks finish building their new cores in 2-3 years.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes, as I mentioned, my prediction is a bit premature at this point. I'd like to see Dvorsky make the team next year, and maybe Holloway can center Neighbours and Snuggerud on the third line.

On an unrelated note, I do find it frustrating that national pundit's continue to overhype Bedard as this "generational talent." He's a smaller version of Auston Matthews and a probable All-star but there are valid questions about his game. I think his smaller stature, average speed, lack of physicality, and unimpressive defense will inevitably force Chicago to reconsider whether Bedard is better suited on the wing than at center. Meanwhile, Dvorsky's lack of explosiveness alone seems to temper many analysts/writer's expectations of him as a middle 6 center despite having many of the same positive attributes Bedard has (great shot, quick hands, smart offensive instincts, etc). I very much see Dvorsky and Bedard as the head-to-head matchup when the Blues and Blackhawks finish building their new cores in 2-3 years.

Bedard at 18 scored 61 points in the best league in the world. Dvorsky at 18 washed out of the SHL. I think the pundits are right to rate one higher than the other.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You have to be excited about the future of this organization.

I find it very hard to believe our re-tool is going to fail. Who knows if it will result in a Cup but I think it will result in a competitive team that makes the playoffs pretty consistently and is a pain in the ass to play against. And as a fan I’ll be happy with that and consider it a success.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Bedard at 18 scored 61 points in the best league in the world. Dvorsky at 18 washed out of the SHL. I think the pundits are right to rate one higher than the other.
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I thought Bedard shouldn't have been rated higher than Dvorsky. Connor was the clear best available pick in the 2023 draft, but the pundits and writers are not giving a realistic or holistic evaluation of his game. Him labeled as a generational talent is objectively a massive overhype. There's a very slim chance he will be better than McDavid and is probably an Auston Matthews-lite. There are also valid questions about his ability to hold down the 1C position given his size, questionable defense, and lack of physicality. Back in April, Chicago already started moving him to the wing. I think Dvorsky will have fewer question marks surrounding his ability to be a top 6 center, even though he won't have the same offensive ceiling as Bedard. If Chicago ends up moving Bedard to the wing, I must say I'd rather have Thomas/Dvorsky over Nazar/Moore in the long-run.

Last edited:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Those "same positive assets" are nowhere near similar between the two players. In every case Bedard's is far, far higher. At 17 years old Bedard was one of the best pure shooters in the world. He has far better hands and is far smarter on the ice than Dvorsky. Like I think Bedard becomes closer to a MacKinnon than a McDavid but thinking Dvorsky is anywhere close as a prospect is ridiculous.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Those "same positive assets" are nowhere near similar between the two players. In every case Bedard's is far, far higher. At 17 years old Bedard was one of the best pure shooters in the world. He has far better hands and is far smarter on the ice than Dvorsky. Like I think Bedard becomes closer to a MacKinnon than a McDavid but thinking Dvorsky is anywhere close as a prospect is ridiculous.

I can see that comparison. Despite his smaller size, Bedard seems pretty jacked and plays with a bit of an edge compared to many star players. I was surprised to see him mixing it up a lot in the world championships. I could see him as a pocket version of MacKinnon, which would be a handful to deal with.

In my limited viewing of Dvorsky yesterday, while he doesn't avoid contact he also doesn't seem to seek it out. Looks like he'd rather go into the corners to try and steal the puck a la ROR/Thomas rather than crash into bodies and knock guys around. And that's ok.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I don't think Dvorsky's best qualities are as good as Bedard's. I am just stating that pundits aren't factoring Bedard's weaknesses as much as they should be. Succeeding as an elite center in the NHL requires a lot more than a wicked shot, quick hands, and high offensive IQ. As I've stated earlier, having a smaller stature (5 '9.75 to be exact), average speed, lack of physicality, and unimpressive defense may realistically limit him from being more than an Auston Matthews-lite (which is still a perennial All-star). I don't see how Bedard becomes anything close to MacKinnon let alone McDavid with his skating. They're not even on the same planet. That's why the word "generational" should not be used in the same sentence as Bedard.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I thought Bedard shouldn't have been rated higher than Dvorsky. Connor was the clear best available pick in the 2023 draft, but the pundits and writers are not giving a realistic or holistic evaluation of his game. Him labeled as a generational talent is objectively a massive overhype. There's a very slim chance he will be better than McDavid and is probably an Auston Matthews-lite. There are also valid questions about his ability to hold down the 1C position given his size, questionable defense, and lack of physicality. Back in April, Chicago already started moving him to the wing. I think Dvorsky will have fewer question marks surrounding his ability to be a top 6 center, even though he won't have the same offensive ceiling as Bedard. If Chicago ends up moving Bedard to the wing, I must say I'd rather have Thomas/Dvorsky over Nazar/Moore in the long-run.
I think that this just depends on your definition of generational talent. As it is generally used in sports, I don't think that he needs to be better than McDavid to be considered generational. I think he can fairly meet that term if he becomes the best player since McDavid and then there are 5-10 years before anyone comes along to top him.

His junior resume supports the 'generational' label. He had 71 goals and 143 points in just 57 games as a 17 year old. 9 goals and 23 points in 7 games during the World Junior Tournament.

And he had a hell of a rookie season. 61 points in 68 games on an absolute trash team was extremely impressive. That's a team that only had two 40+ players last year. He had next to no help at all and still paced for 73 points.

He paced for fewer goals than Matthews his rookie year, but he played at a higher points pace and his supporting cast was much worse. He's also born 10 months later in his draft class than Matthews. Matthews turned 19 before his first NHL game while Bedard turned 19 three months after his rookie season ended. I very much don't agree that his most likely projection is Mathews-lite. I definitely could see him being as a winger But I also think that if he becomes a winger he could eventually make a claim as the best winger in NHL history.

No 'generational talent' is a lock to hit that ceiling, but Bedard has a better case than anyone since McDavid.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I think that this just depends on your definition of generational talent. As it is generally used in sports, I don't think that he needs to be better than McDavid to be considered generational. I think he can fairly meet that term if he becomes the best player since McDavid and then there are 5-10 years before anyone comes along to top him.

His junior resume supports the 'generational' label. He had 71 goals and 143 points in just 57 games as a 17 year old. 9 goals and 23 points in 7 games during the World Junior Tournament.

And he had a hell of a rookie season. 61 points in 68 games on an absolute trash team was extremely impressive. That's a team that only had two 40+ players last year. He had next to no help at all and still paced for 73 points.

He paced for fewer goals than Matthews his rookie year, but he played at a higher points pace and his supporting cast was much worse. He's also born 10 months later in his draft class than Matthews. Matthews turned 19 before his first NHL game while Bedard turned 19 three months after his rookie season ended. I very much don't agree that his most likely projection is Mathews-lite. I definitely could see him being as a winger But I also think that if he becomes a winger he could eventually make a claim as the best winger in NHL history.

No 'generational talent' is a lock to hit that ceiling, but Bedard has a better case than anyone since McDavid.
I appreciate your thoughtful and nuanced response. From my standpoint, the word "generational" in almost any context is much closer to 20 years than it is 5-10 years. The reason it's been thrown around in sports so often is because of overhyping. In my eyes, Bedard would either have to be the best player in the prior 20 years OR the prior 10 years AND with no foreseeable prospect realistically better in the next 10 years. Either criteria covers about a 20 year time-frame, and he doesn't come close to meeting either given that Ovechkin was drafted in 2004, Crosby in 2005, Kane in 2007, MacKinnon in 2013, McDavid in 2015, Matthews in 2016, and Jack Hughes in 2019. There's no guarantee he even gets to Matthew's level, who just posted 69 goals in a single season.

Unpopular viewpoint: Dvorsky has a much higher likelihood of become an average 1C than Bedard becoming "generational."

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad