Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Just sayin, but when we won the cup in 2019 Brayden Schenn and JayBo were the only players on the roster selected in the top 10. Not by us, obviously. I don’t think those players are as make-or-break as some make them out to be.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Just sayin, but when we won the cup in 2019 Brayden Schenn and JayBo were the only players on the roster selected in the top 10. Not by us, obviously. I don’t think those players are as make-or-break as some make them out to be.

There was also that one guy on defense who's name we can't mention without turning the discussion into a 15 page debate on why he left.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah having a #1 defenseman that was drafted in the top 10 definitely doesn’t matter. Great post.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Our best player was selected 4th overall by the Blues…

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Sure, but how many teams can tout that achievement? You could say Golden Knights, but they were a recent expansion team and had all the benefits of being both and expansion team and having all the draft picks. Colorado, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, etc etc have had multiple dominant HoF'ers on their roster while we had arguably 1 (maybe 2 if J-Bouw is counted).

Our team was good don't get me wrong, but we were incredibly, incredibly lucky to first of all make the playoffs and then win the cup against a very good Boston team. We built our team on a certain style and structure that just happened to work in 2019, but I don't know how often that will work. If the Blues continue to scout well, they develop prospects well, and then have good pro scouts, then I think they can achieve that again, but that's asking a lot from mid to late round draft picks. We were very lucky with Thomas and Kyrou, Dvorsky seems at worst like a 2nd line center, Lindstein seems to be progressing very well for a late 1st (which we have struggled with in that position), and we have a breadth of talent to surround that core with. The question is how good is the talent we have on the top end and how good will the surrounding cast be? We can't know that for a few years, but that will determine whether or not we are middling or competitive for a long time.

Reactions: BrokenFace

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Korotky signed a three year extension for SKA.
That’s not bad - at the end of it, he’ll be right at the age (21) where we can reasonably determine if he has NHL potential, and if he does, I’m sure he’ll sign with the Blues.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
That’s not bad - at the end of it, he’ll be right at the age (21) where we can reasonably determine if he has NHL potential, and if he does, I’m sure he’ll sign with the Blues.
The only downside really is that SKA is a good team that doesn’t usually give a whole lot of ice time to prospects so not sure how much KHL time he will get, maybe he’s loaned out though who knows. I know they have the junior leagues as well but from what I’ve read they aren’t very good leagues

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
World Junior Summer Showcase is coming up next weekend 7/27-8/4 in Plymouth, MI and the Blues have quite a few prospects who will be playing...

USA:
Paul Fischer
Lukas Fischer
Colin Ralph

Canada:
Quinton Burns

Sweden:
Theo Lindstein
Otto Stenberg

Believe games will be on NHL network and should be streamable online HERE for anyone interested. Going to be on vacation so I probably won't get to watch much, but would love to read people's thoughts/reports if anyone is able to watch!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It's funny that, with exemption of Stenberg, all of them play the exact same position.

That we still continue to view as a weakness position in the prospect pool - due to our NHL team. (While RHD has all of 2 players in the system - 1 being Kessel).

Also, Lukas Fischer will be 17 at this camp..... Wild.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Same side on D?

They're all lefties.

That we still continue to view as a weakness position in the prospect pool - due to our NHL team. (While RHD has all of 2 players in the system - 1 being Kessel).

Also, Lukas Fischer will be 17 at this camp..... Wild.

Yeah, drafting a lot of players for one specific position can also harm player development. If you look at Springfield, for example, at LHD they will have Loof, Buchinger, Gaudet, Malmstrom + vets in Harrisson and Schueneman. These are all players that need to play, but some will be healthy scratched regularly or will play in the ECHL. On RHD however, we only have Johannesson, Skinner and Biakabutuka. So basicly 6 LHD's who need AHL icetime versus 1 (probably) 'good' RHD, a mediocre RHD and a ECHL-level RHD. Next year could be even more problematic if Fischer (Paul), Burns and Mayich turn pro and Lindstein comes over.

About Lukas Fischer:
He is starting to grow on me, eventhough he is another LHD. He probably needs more time to develop than others, but he could be a true gem if he hits his potential. Still not a fan of drafting Ralph in the 2nd though as there where better options left on the board (some forwards, but if we wanted a D.: RHD Spencer Gill, for example). On the other hand, Ralph 'kinda' follows the same development path as Scott Morrow, who also played for Shattuck, so who knows.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder where people think our prospect pool ranks league wide? Top 15? Top 10?

The OP in this thread did a nice job of compiling the prospects for each team:

Last edited:

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I wonder where people think our prospect pool ranks league wide? Top 15? Top 10?

The OP in this thread did a nice job of compiling the prospects for each team:
Columbus should be higher and Nashville should be lower.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, drafting a lot of players for one specific position can also harm player development. If you look at Springfield, for example, at LHD they will have Loof, Buchinger, Gaudet, Malmstrom + vets in Harrisson and Schueneman. These are all players that need to play, but some will be healthy scratched regularly or will play in the ECHL. On RHD however, we only have Johannesson, Skinner and Biakabutuka. So basicly 6 LHD's who need AHL icetime versus 1 (probably) 'good' RHD, a mediocre RHD and a ECHL-level RHD. Next year could be even more problematic if Fischer (Paul), Burns and Mayich turn pro and Lindstein comes over.
I think the log jam is a bit worse than you've presented. The group you listed doesn't include any of the LHD currently penciled into the NHL roster on Puck Pedia. There are 6 of them if you include Krug (Krug, Leddy, Suter, Perunovich, Tucker, and P.O Joseph). I don't think Krug is a stone cold lock for LTIR all year, but even if you exclude him, are the other 5 guys all making the NHL team? It is possible. We could carry 8 D all year and use Perunovich as the fill in on the right side as needed since he has some collegiate experience on the right side. But that's not exactly ideal either.

If Krug isn't on LTIR the entire season or we decide to just run 7 D in the NHL, then we very well might be adding another LHD to the AHL log jam.

All that said, I don't have a big problem with this log jam. I'd rather start the year with 'extra' lottery tickets and a log jam than fewer lottery tickets and no log jam. I'm comfortable losing the 'NHL' guy who can't crack the top 7 or loaning one of the AHL vets somewhere else in order to clear some log jam. I'd rather make that adjustment mid-season than enter the season with defined roles for every young LHD to develop. I like the organizational depth that allows us to tell Suter to pack his crap and go if he becomes a locker room issue. I like that there are 3+ guys competing for basically every LHD job in the NHL and AHL level besides Leddy's.

One question though. Who is Harrisson? Did I miss a signing? I miss Capfriendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad