Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Forward lines in five years (from a pool of 27 prospects/players)

Neighbours Thomas Kyrou
Bolduc Dvorsky Snuggerud
Stancl Stenberg Mrsic
Pekarcik Dean Toropchenko

I’ll do forwards and defense (for what we have at the moment, not including future picks, free agents or trades or anything else. I’m also assuming that Hofer and Zherenko take the goalie tandem in five years (sorry, not sorry, Binnington):

Jake Neighbours / Robert Thomas / Jordan Kyrou
Zachary Bolduc / Dalibor Dvorsky / Jimmy Snuggerud
Pavel Buchnevich/ Otto Stenberg / Nikita Susuyev
Juraj Pekarcik / Zach Dean / Adam Jecho

Aleksanteri Kaskimaki , Simon Robertsson

(Assuming Schenn and Toropchenko are gone by this point (the latter via trade or FA). I’ve been very high on Susuyev for a while, and if he comes over, I think he could be a stud. Also higher on Jecho than anyone in the 2024 class (although Jiricek and Fischer are interesting); I feel that he could be a solid middle-six center. Still have hopes for Robertsson and Kaskimaki.)

Theo Lindstein / Adam Jiricek
Michael Buchinger / Colton Parayko
Lukas Fischer / Matt Kessel

Leo Loof

(I’m very skeptical of Ralph making it at all. I think Fischer has a much better chance, and he’s admittedly growing on me, now that I’ve had a bit of time to reflect on the latest draft. Yes, I still think Parayko will be here in five years. Yes, I am extremely high on Lindstein being the number one defenseman answer with Jiricek being the number two. Yes, I think that Loof will still be here, and as a seventh D, I can’t ask for more. Yes, I think Buchinger could be awesome, especially with Parayko. Yes, I think Kessel will still be here, especially since we have few right-handed defensemen as is.)

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Wow - it's calling having a little fun thinking about the future.

Shoot me already.

Think about the future all you want. But it is unrealistic to think our future forward line up will be 100% compromised of Thomas, Kyrou and prospects in the current system. No other vets like buchnevich? No trade or free agent targets? Do you really know Mrsic will pan out and not Jecho (as an example)? What about next years 1st round pick which should be pretty high? Will he not be good enough to make the team in his D+4 year?

I definitely think differently than others. My brain is wired differently. I don't see the appeal of listing a bunch of randomly slotted names in a lineup card. To me its no different than saying, imagine in 5 years

Neighbours - Thomas - Kyrou
Super awesome guy1 - Super awesome guy 2 - Super awesome guy 3
Super awesome guy 4 - Super awesome guy 5 - Super awesome guy 6
Big+mean guy 1 - big+mean guy 2 = Big+mena guy 3

• Love
Reactions: BlueDream and jura

wiscrev

May 25, 2019
Think about the future all you want. But it is unrealistic to think our future forward line up will be 100% compromised of Thomas, Kyrou and prospects in the current system. No other vets like buchnevich? No trade or free agent targets? Do you really know Mrsic will pan out and not Jecho (as an example)? What about next years 1st round pick which should be pretty high? Will he not be good enough to make the team in his D+4 year?

I definitely think differently than others. My brain is wired differently. I don't see the appeal of listing a bunch of randomly slotted names in a lineup card. To me its no different than saying, imagine in 5 years

Super awesome guy1 - Super awesome guy 2 - Super awesome guy 3
Super awesome guy 4 - Super awesome guy 5 - Super awesome guy 6
Big+mean guy 1 - big+mean guy 2 = Big+mena guy 3
Like your style.

• Haha

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would say that about anybody's prospects. It's not about our prospects but about the futility of projecting out that far.
Then what was the point? If any team's prospects don't hit and they don't add top talent elsewhere, they will likely not be good in 5 years. Okay. That seems rather obvious. What am I missing?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Then what was the point? If any team's prospects don't hit and they don't add top talent elsewhere, they will likely not be good in 5 years. Okay. That seems rather obvious. What am I missing?

Here, I pulled the top 20 prospect poll from this forum for 5 years ago. Let's take all our 26 and under roster forwards from that season, than mix it in with prospects (which is essentially what the poster did) and compare it to our actually roster this year?.

Fabbri - Thomas -Barbashev
Sanford - Bokk - Kyrou
Kostin - Alexandrov - Toropchenko
Foley - Washaruk - Lafreriere.

Vs

Buchnevich - Thomas - Neighbours
Saad - Schenn - Kyrou
Texier - Faksa - Joseph
Toropchenko - Sunqvist - Kapanen

Now granted, we were a cup team that year, and a rebuilding team this year. So we have a better prospect pool now, and less desire to keep our vets. But only 3 of the players actually stuck.

We will keep guys over 25. Its silly not to project Buchnevich 5 years out, just like Schenn stuck around. Prospects will bust like Kostin and Bokk. Its silly to expect 6 of our propects will be top 9 quality.There will be injuries, look at Fabbri and Foley. There will be trades, look at the guys we brought in. We will sign vet free agents like Saad.

You cannot predict how good prospects will be in 5 years, much less what the other roster moves will look like so it is meaningless to try.

The point is don't get attached to these prospects based on what you think they could potentially be and some preconceived notion of on all drafted between 2020-2024 bottom 9. Expectation is the theif of joy. You are only going to end up dissapointed when they don't pan out.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Here, I pulled the top 20 prospect poll from this forum for 5 years ago. Let's take all our 26 and under roster forwards from that season, than mix it in with prospects (which is essentially what the poster did) and compare it to our actually roster this year?.

Sanford - Bokk - Kyrou

Vs

Saad - Schenn - Kyrou
Texier - Faksa - Joseph

Now granted, we were a cup team that year, and a rebuilding team this year. So we have a better prospect pool now, and less desire to keep our vets. But only 3 of the players actually stuck.

We will keep guys over 25. Its silly not to project Buchnevich 5 years out, just like Schenn stuck around. Prospects will bust like Kostin and Bokk. Its silly to expect 6 of our propects will be top 9 quality.There will be injuries, look at Fabbri and Foley. There will be trades, look at the guys we brought in. We will sign vet free agents like Saad.

You cannot predict how good prospects will be in 5 years, much less what the other roster moves will look like so it is meaningless to try.

The point is don't get attached to these prospects based on what you think they could potentially be and some preconceived notion of on all drafted between 2020-2024 bottom 9. Expectation is the theif of joy. You are only going to end up dissapointed when they don't pan out.
You're right. We should just write off all our prospects as likely busts, as we can't predict the future. May as well just close this thread down.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Sanford - Bokk - Kyrou

Vs

Saad - Schenn - Kyrou
Texier - Faksa - Joseph

I feel like this is just arguing for arguments sake. If you pushed hard enough, I don't think there is a single person here who is going to say "yea I know for sure this is the lineup in 5 years" or "I'm confident x, y, z prospects will hit their potential." Is there really a reason to list the potential forward/defense lines 5 years from now? No, not really. Is there a reason to dismiss people giving their shaky opinions on what the lines will be 5 years from now? No not really. Is it hurting anyone to give (what you hope/think) the forward/defense lines 5 years from now? No, so even if you disagree with the overall assessment or sentiment of ranking the lines, it's probably better for the forum overall to just ignore it. Not saying you're not right, your opinions are bad, or that you're a bad person, but just let them have some fun, even if technically it's not right.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I understand both the excitement for this crop of prospects and the eventuality that some will not work out. It wasn't that long ago that we were penciling Perunovich into the top 4 and Kostin into the top 6. But I'm still over the moon about last year's class. Could be one of our best ever.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I understand both sides here. It can be fun to slot prospects you're excited about into an NHL lineup and see what it looks like. At the same time though, looking as far as 5 years ahead is a little silly. Even looking ahead 3 years is very difficult. But I don't think it's ever happened in the history of the NHL to have your forward lineup be entirely made up of players your team acquired via the entry draft or even with players that were at one point a prospect you didn't draft (like Dean). Even having 9 of 12 would be highly impressive (that or your forward group is complete garbage). You just can't know what players come or go through FA or trades.

Our Cup team had 5 forwards that we drafted, which is impressive drafting considering none of them were taken in the top 10 (Perron (26), Schwartz (14), Tarasenko (16), Thomas (20), Barbashev (33)). And the number actually drops to 4 when you consider that Perron was technically acquired via free agency despite us drafting him. Sanford was the only forward that was a prospect for us that we didn't draft.

Assuming none of these guys are traded or bust, you could potentially see something like this in like 3 years:

Buchnevich - Dvorsky - Bolduc
Stenberg
- Schenn - Snuggerud
Sundqvist - Dean - Toropchenko

*Bolded names we drafted

So that would be 8 players we drafted, plus Dean who was a prospet we didn't draft. I would be pretty surprised if the forward group looked like that. So much can happen in just 3 years. Who knows, maybe we trade Schenn near the end of his contract, or we make a lateral trade with Kyrou, or we package one of those prospects for a defender, or Sunny leaves in FA. There's also Texier and Joseph now. Maybe we keep Saad around on a short term deal after his contract is up.

There's just too many things that can happen.

I'm not opposed to people making these lineups in the same way I'm not opposed to people making all-time Blues lineups with Federko centering Tarasenko and Hull. Let people have their fun, don't take them too seriously. But I would also say that those posting these lineups should probably preface them by saying that it's just for fun and not being serious. That way we avoid all this.

Reactions: ds774622

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
We should probably shut down the prospects thread all together and all the draft prep people do here too. Don't even talk to me about mock drafts.

No more speculating or predictions. Shut 'er down, y'all.

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
I feel like im living an episode of some quality WWE booking via HF.
1. Officially introduce a member as a new mod.
2. Days later have an argument erupt over a very subjective matter.
3. Watch it escalate into personal insults.
4. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
1720382491247.png

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm speaking about anyone in this thread who has their panties in a bunch about someone posting a prospect projection. I'm not quoting everybody.

Log off and go get some fresh air.
I think it's fair to discuss the probability of such a lineup happening just as much as it's fair to post the lineup itself. Saying that you shouldn't post it at all is silly, though. I welcome far-out lineups, as long as you make it clear that it's not necessarily realistic.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think it's fair to discuss the probability of such a lineup happening just as much as it's fair to post the lineup itself. Saying that you shouldn't post it at all is silly, though. I welcome far-out lineups, as long as you make it clear that it's not necessarily realistic.
I think there is value in discussing lineup probability from the standpoint of assessing the players individually. I have been thinking an interesting exercise we could do is look at each player and determine ceiling, likely potential and floor, indicating percentages we are confident in our predictions for where the player will ultimately land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad