Blue Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Honestly it probably should. Woodcroft couldn’t coach defensive or penalty killing. I mean Knoblauch gave the PK to Mark Stuart (the same assistant Woodcroft had), and he flourished with the role.
Oh no I fully agree, I wonder at this point if he gets another crack at a HC position

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We have one poster who inexplicably hates him so much that it feels personal, a few who are still very neutral, and most of the rest of us are cautiously optimistic. The team isn’t in a position to care about what he does or doesn’t do in the playoffs. Right now they need a credible coach who can put together a system and pilot what has been an extremely rudderless boat, and Evason seems to be that. Plus, unlike the other two likely candidates, no Babcock stink.

We also have one poster who is EXTREMELY EXCITED about Dean Evason. Me!

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Bad news for the assistant coaches in Columbus

25smkeG.jpeg
You realize most of our assistant coaches, including color commentator, are ex-enforcers (Boll, Reechi, Shelley)? There's like 1000 PIM on that bench with the guys in the suits. f*** they will punch him right back and I can't wait for the OT victory brawls.

Last edited:

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Could see CBJ fighting for a playoff spot. Good hire. Their downfall has been coaching more than anything from my POV.
Coaching and center depth. Hopefully both are resolved. Don't know about this year, depends how fast the team comes together and learns the system. Next couple season should see the kids become full time NHLers, but some on here think they ain't even good enough to make the playoffs then.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I honestly think this is going to be a great hire. Guys like Gaudreau and Werenski were actually excited to have a hard ass like Babcock as coach.. we know how that went but Werenski actually loved playing under a hard ass like Torts. If Evason is in that same cut of cloth like Torts, I think the team is gonna do really well.

Coaching and center depth. Hopefully both are resolved. Don't know about this year, depends how fast the team comes together and learns the system. Next couple season should see the kids become full time NHLers, but some on here think they ain't even good enough to make the playoffs then.
... And the powerplay....

Definitely don't forget how helpful having a competent powerplay is.

If we have a competent PP last season we aren't a lottery team, still not a playoff team, but we're in the 8-15 range and not a top 5 pick.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
This is a shit take. Great hire by Columbus. Best case scenario based on who was available this summer IMO.
Again as a fan we are all entitled to our opinions and who makes you the expert judge in a good hire or not. Time will tell who is right or wrong.

So buzz off - especially with a Penguins avatar.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If his mantra of "Grit with Skill" comes to the CBJ, there are some pieces that already fit that but will need to develop. This screams Fantilli and Lindstrom up the middle. Jiricek on the back end too. The higher end pieces seem to fit the mold to help with the core. Add in guys like Malatesta, Brindley, Jenner, Voronkov.... they can all bring a little of both and drive the guys like Marchenko, Johnson and Chinakhov... Seems like a perfect fit for a lot of the players that not only need to develop but need direction and have the skill set the coach should actually like. Good balance building in Columbus.

Now about that goaltending....

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I would imagine his main job is to develop the kids. Sillinger, Jiricek, Johnson, Fantelli, etc. And get Gaudreau going.
there is a base of talent in CBJ, just need to put it together.
If that is his job you probably won't be that happy with him. Preds and Ads fans were so glad when he left Milwaukee.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Dean Evason is not afraid of tough jobs.. handed the Minny buyout mess and now the Jackets...
Always respect coaches who are put in tough positions, and get the team to pull together and compete like crazy. The ability to get a team with a built in excuse of 20% of it's cap in dead space be able to make the P/O's in 2023 is impressive as hell.

And pulling for the Jackets. Lots of young talent and IMO it would be good for the league to have them start making strides.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You realize most of our assistant coaches, including color commentator, are ex-enforcers (Boll, Reechi, Shelley)? There's like 1000 PIM on that bench with the guys in the suits. f*** they will punch him right back and I can't wait for the OT victory brawls.

That would be the greatest thing ever.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One thing Dean won't be able to affect much is the goaltending in CBJ. I mean, a sound defensive structure will help any goalie, but not much a coach can do if he doesn't have a guy(s) who can stop pucks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not great, but they lucked out in not getting McLellan so I guess that's a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad