Blue Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
One thing Dean won't be able to affect much is the goaltending in CBJ. I mean, a sound defensive structure will help any goalie, but not much a coach can do if he doesn't have a guy(s) who can stop pucks.
He cant stop the pucks but a good system will go a long way. Also a potential huge relief would be if he can get the offense going. So many 1 and done rushes with 0 creativity allowed last year. So much strain was on the defense because the puck would go up the ice for 1 shot and instantly come back down the other way, not exactly ideal for the type of team Jarmo was building

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's the guy that almost made Trenin go back to Russia because he refused to play him.
Oh, that. Utterly unconcerned in that regard; there's so many kids around here it'd be difficult for him to play favorites to that extent anyways. (That and the Russians here have already earned their ice time.)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
1721763720923.gif

I think Columbus comes out a bit short on this choice of head coach in the end.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was pretty awful in the playoffs.
Well, his team lost against a young talented VAN team during the play ins, mainly because he had to play Alex Stalock in net, who was massively outplayed by Markstrom.

Next year they lost 4-3 to an excellent VGK team- MN always gives them a hard time.

Year after that 4-2 to STL, who were still a good team back then, and again, had the aging MAF and Talbot stinking it up in the net(.900 and below), while Binnington had a .946 average.

Next year they lost 4-2 to a vg Stars team that ended up in the Conference finals, and again, were outplayed in the nets by the superb Oettinger. In this series, you can blame Evason a bit, because even though Gustavsson wasn't as good as Oettinger, he was close, and Dean insisted on playing MAF(.811) for a couple of games .

Overall, MN was competitive, but were outgoalied in just about every series. No surprise if you are depending on a very old MAF, Alex Stalock, Talbot, and the like. Even Gustavsson, who had a great year in 2022-23, let him down in 23-24 with a sub .900 save %, and, it can be argued, was the reason Dean was fired, though there were other things operating like injuries to key players.

My understanding of the CBJ situation is that they would be thrilled to have a coach that gets them to the playoffs every year, even if it's only to lose. They had a good, gritty team that used to make the playoffs not all that long ago, and I'm pretty sure that they want to get back to being that, and stop the slide before they turn into a perpetual loser like the Sabres(sorry guys, you know I have a soft spot for the team and city). If, 3 years from now, Dean gets them to the playoffs three years in a row, but they keep losing in the 1st round, then they can look to firing him. That would still be a successful hire if that's the way things unfold.

The main obstacle to me(from afar, and by no means a CBJ expert) for Evason being successful in CBJ is that their best players are not playing like their best players, either because of injury or ?. Also, like in MN, they do not appear to have a solid goalie situation. That will kill any teams chances.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
As a transplanted Ohio boy and a Canes fan I am slightly excited by the off season FO moves from the Jackets.

Since the Canes really had a GM by committee approach I dont know just how much Donny Wads was responsible for player wise but he's a very smart man and at the least his sound bites are awesome.

Evasion is solid. Good luck next season (except against the Canes) and I look forward to being able to closer root for the Jackets

Reactions: Viqsi

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Evason is a good underrated hire. plenty to like with him and fits where the jackets are in their competitive cycle.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He's not that good of a coach. We were shocked in Nashville that someone hired him from the AHL to start with cause we were wanting him fired.
You don't have a record of 147-77-27 by being a bad coach...it's not like he was being carried by a generational talent filled roster like Pittsburgh, Tampa or going back even further Chicago. Minnesota was an absolute trainwreck cap wise and he still was on pace for a 100 pt season just about every season he was there.

Compared to the Jackets last 3 coaches, this is a fantastic hire.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You don't have a record of 147-77-27 by being a bad coach...it's not like he was being carried by a generational talent filled roster like Pittsburgh, Tampa or going back even further Chicago. Minnesota was an absolute trainwreck cap wise and he still was on pace for a 100 pt season just about every season he was there.

Compared to the Jackets last 3 coaches, this is a fantastic hire.
Give it time. There is a reason you were able to hire him.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Give it time. There is a reason you were able to hire him.
Bill Guerin didn't even want to fire him, he called him into his office and told him as much but said that he had to do it in an attempt to send a message to the room. Guerin was also one of the first people to reach out to him after the hiring was announced.

If the Jackets were able to replicate what happened to the Wild over the last 3 years, we would be extending him, not firing him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm assuming you dislike Brunette as a coach as well, given the he has a worse playoff record than Evason.
Difference is I didn't know a thing about Brunette as a coach until this season, he hadn't been in the organization, and no I'm not entirely thrilled with him either, although he is definitely better than John Hynes.

I watched Evason in Milwaukee for 4 seasons and now 3 seasons in Minnesota. We will see where Brunette stands in another couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad