Blue Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He's a steady, strict systems guy who is pretty good getting his team to buy into his systems and play tough, discipline hockey.

That is everything goes right.

On the other side of the same coin, he's a steady strict systems guy who has a tough time adjusting on the fly. He'll have to lose 3 or 4 games in a row before he's willing to change up the lineup outside moving a guy up or down 1 line. So playoffs have always been a weak point for him. Decent regular season coach though

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Bad news for the assistant coaches in Columbus

25smkeG.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think this could be a decent hire. He had some pretty impressive results with a pretty meh Minnesota roster.

He paced somewhere around 105-110 pts across his three full seasons as head coach. For a team that a lot of folks thought would enter a rebuild.

Evason seems like he strikes a balance in being no-nonsense but isn't a completely miserable coach to play for like Babcock or Torts.

He's a fiery SOB that players seem to really like. That's a great combination. He's been my #1 choice all along.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How is he with youth? CBJ has a ton of it but seems like they haven't hit their potential yet

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would imagine his main job is to develop the kids. Sillinger, Jiricek, Johnson, Fantelli, etc. And get Gaudreau going.
there is a base of talent in CBJ, just need to put it together.
Freddy Gaudreau will be there soon.

Credible coach. Players seem to play for him, at least for a few years. Tough, w/o being an attention seeking a-hole. Thought BUF should've hired him.

Maybe not a genius, but definitely not toxic, and should create a decent atmosphere for Lindstrom, Jiricek, and and the like to come into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
One thing I noticed on his wiki page that’s kinda crazy is - in addition to his 4 playoffs with Minnesota - he had 6 playoff appearances in the WHL and 4 in the AHL. So 14 total… and made the second round ONCE (then lost). 1-13 in the first round. That’s pretty crazy.

However, with that said (besides the fact that could be fluky anyways…) is in 15 full seasons as a head coach, he’s only missed the playoffs twice. In 17 full/partial seasons, he’s 14/17.

Overall I kinda think that’s what this team needs right now. An EXPERIENCED head coach to get things back on the rails. Things have fallen off the tracks, get it back on course, and if you have to make a change in 4-5 years to get fully over the hump, so be it, but I like the hire right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good hire. I think he's one of the best coaches in the NHL that doesn't get that much credit.

He did a good job with a limited Minnesota team and I like his attitude.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes a better hire than a Woodcroft personally. Probably a better fit with Waddell as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can anyone tell me what kind of system does be run? Can he develop young players?
Demands two way play, and treasures toughness, but not to a ridiculous degree. Kaprizov, JEE, Boldy, and Fiala blossomed under him, but you could argue that all four players would've done well under just about any coach who wasn't a complete idiot.

He's a good, tough coach, but no genius. I think he got outcoached in the playoffs a little bit, but he gave a good Vegas team a scare, and it's not like he was a disaster. I think MN's playoff failures are more to do with their players, than the coaching, and partly running into really good teams.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Columbus fans, tell me how I should feel about this.
We have one poster who inexplicably hates him so much that it feels personal, a few who are still very neutral, and most of the rest of us are cautiously optimistic. The team isn’t in a position to care about what he does or doesn’t do in the playoffs. Right now they need a credible coach who can put together a system and pilot what has been an extremely rudderless boat, and Evason seems to be that. Plus, unlike the other two likely candidates, no Babcock stink.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Why? Columbus succeeding would be a good story
well I think you should be happy then. A respected coach who can be a hardass but doesnt appear to be a guy players hate to play for. Hes had some level of success in the NHL vs the last 2 coaches we had to sit through who were rookies. I dont think he'll lose control like Larsen did and be much more equipped to handle a young team than Vincent was. Im curious to see what he does with such a young team, Im hoping he allows creativity to exist where Vincent didnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad