Blue Jackets have closed door meeting with Tortorella to ask him to be nicer to them

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think that if Torts had any other setting he would've showed it by now. Don't see him having a Tom Coughlin moment and suddenly becoming more motherly.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
SBNation....nuff said.

:shakehead

During a Hockey Night in Canada intermission report on Saturday, Sportsnet reporters Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos reported that Blue Jackets players had met with Tortorella recently to ask him to stay positive.

It happened sir.

As to the meeting: It's all good when you're winning, your true self comes out during tough times.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Millennials are so soft.

Maybe Millennials discovered that people with mental health issues in positions of power should not be allowed to run around and say what they want without consequence and treat people like garbage in 2017?

Do you think Vince Lombardi would have survived this day and age? Do you think Mike Keenan grabbing a teenager(Roenick) by the collar and telling him not to do whatever he just did again is helpful?

Verbal and physical abuse is no longer allowed in the workplace you know? It doesn't mean people are soft, it means people have more self respect and stand up for themselves.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Maybe Millennials discovered that people with mental health issues in positions of power should not be allowed to run around and say what they want without consequence and treat people like garbage in 2017?

Who said he has mental health issues? Older adults who struggle to deal with a younger generation are a dime a dozen. I'm personally glad I no longer have those responsibilities.

Personally I think Torts should go to his strength, retire and focus on his rescue dogs. He must be financially OK enough to make the transition.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Pretty much spot on for Torts. This has happened on every single team he's coached. Maybe not the closed door thing but the fact that teams get really tired of his crap about two years in.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Who said he has mental health issues? Older adults who struggle to deal with a younger generation are a dime a dozen. I'm personally glad I no longer have those responsibilities.

Personally I think Torts should go to his strength, retire and focus on his rescue dogs. He must be financially OK enough to make the transition.

Poor anger management is a mental health issue. There is clearly something wrong with the dude. I am not going to judge or call him a horrible human being, but hes poor at dealing with it and he seems like a classic bully archetype where making people angry and frustrated is used as a motivator.

There is enough evidence through the years of his career that this is whats happening. The dude tried to get into fights with players and other teams staff members over an issue in the game, come on man, is this normal to you?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It happened sir.

As to the meeting: It's all good when you're winning, your true self comes out during tough times.

They lost to the Rags last night...

He's cracking. About to blow his top. What a tyrant.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How embarrassing for them.

They're finally better than being hilariously bad and they have a closed door meeting because Torts is being a big meanie head? :laugh:

Right... and if your boss was a dick on daily basis you'd be the first one crying :laugh:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i want to know if there was a trust circle formed, or if there was a sharing stick

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Poor anger management is a mental health issue. There is clearly something wrong with the dude. I am not going to judge or call him a horrible human being, but hes poor at dealing with it and he seems like a classic bully archetype where making people angry and frustrated is used as a motivator.

And you got your PhD in Psychology from where? And you did your internship and residency where?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

There is enough evidence through the years of his career that this is whats happening. The dude tried to get into fights with players and other teams staff members over an issue in the game, come on man, is this normal to you?

Quit talking **** about something you clearly know nothing about.

Lack of anger management is now a mental health issue? Jesus christ.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
When I played Youth Football our coaches would trow footballs at our heads if we weren't paying attention.

Because instilling discipline in a bunch of snot nosed little poops is totally the same as managing a group top performers in the world at a given field in a professional environment.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Maybe the players need a safe space.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Notoriously *******s coach is returning to his old ways gets and gets called on it but it is the softer generation blah blah blah.

Let's not act like Torts hasn't flamed out in multiple other coaching jobs. We're not talking about being let go like Julien where it just got stale. No, we are talking about a person that has pissed off a decent part of the organization, media and fans consistently in multiple cities.

Hell, have some respect for the players. They notice a situation that is not working for them so they try to address it in a constructive manner. You would rather them just give up and shut him out? Hell, Canada's golden boy and his teams have done this twice now and very rarely has it been called out.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This generation....wow.

:laugh::laugh:

"Coach -- when you day things like xyz it makes me feel like I don't have value as a human. Can you understand how that might be the case?"

Just joking a bit. I bet playing for Torts absolutely sucks. Not first time we've heard this. However, I do agree......the younger generation is a bit more sensitive.:rose::rose::rose:

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Players these days are soft. Some of the best coaches of all time were hard *****. Best coach I ever had spent a good 90% of his time cursing and swearing at us. Motivation was never hard to come by playing for him.

It doesn't work for all players, though.

I, too, had a coach that yelled basically all the time. Never mentioned the positives and always hammered us for the negatives (even in wins). You could score a goal but if you did it the wrong way, you heard about it. A few players excelled in that environment, most did not. He was gone after two years.

You have to handle players individually. Torts does not seem to be good at that, at all.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

This. The dude has issues. (no pun intended :D)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Quit talking **** about something you clearly know nothing about.

Lack of anger management is now a mental health issue? Jesus christ.

Lack of impulse control is a factor in anger management issues, its a behavioral problem. Treating it like its normal and its ok to be a jackass is the problem in the first place, stop normalizing temper tantrum fueled adults. If you behaved like this at work towards your employees you would be called out on it. Why is it acceptable in coaching now?

Explain to me how constantly angry and bitter people don't have a mental health issues? If it just go away on its own then congrats you are a calm normal individual but spazzing out constantly is not normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad