Half-Assed GDT: Blue Jackets @ Blues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018

JR tweet for those that can't see Twitter: "The Blues are heading to Vail, Colorado, on Monday for a team bonding trip/practice before the regular-season opener Oct. 16. Berube said the team will be down to the 23-man roster before leaving Monday. Neal said he’s looking forward to the trip. #stlblues"

It looks like it is just a matter of time before Neal signs. The 23-man roster is going to Vail, and Neal thinks he is going. That leaves 2-3 more forward spots. Neighbours is almost certainly one of them, When asked about tonight's line-up Faulk said "Usually the last couple games of preseason is as close to a lineup as you can get. You try to get dialed in, find some cohesiveness in the end and get going."

Here is tonight's lineup:

Forwards
Brandon Saad - Ryan O'Reilly - David Perron
Jordan Kyrou - Brayden Schenn - Pavel Buchnevich
James Neal - Robert Thomas - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jake Neighbours - Tyler Bozak - Ivan Barbashev
Defense
Marco Scandella - Colton Parayko
Torey Krug - Justin Faulk
Jake Walman - Robert Bortuzzo
Goalies
Jordan Binnington
Colten Ellis

I'd assume Ellis is out, and Husso is our backup. I'd also assume that bottom D pair is not necessarily the one we roll with, but it probably indicates Walman made the team as the 7th D. They don't really need to showcase him more, as he has 2nd most TOI this pre-season amongst our D. He is 2nd to Perunovich, who I also assume makes the roster. This leaves Mikkola as the odd man out. I'd guess the forwards playing today all make the team as well with 2 more as press box duty.

Edit: If someone on less ignore lists wants to throw that lineup up for a GDT, we could discuss more there. It's straight off of Blues NHL.com site.

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
Used the post from @Majorityof1 in another thread.

A good to great performance is expected! Especially when we bring out the big guns...

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
Think this is a home game. Looking forward to wrapping up the preseason.

I stand corrected.

Yeah, hoping to get the good feeling before the teambuilding plans. A solid effort here could matter a lot. Even if they all are professionals.

The mindset of a pro will never be easy to interpret or understand.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I love the quote from Neal. I hope he's right, and I hope he proves he still has enough left in the tank to help this team.

bildo

Jan 26, 2021
perron credited with 3rd goal. threw a prayer at a cluster in front and in off CBJ D's skate

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What’s CBJs lineup tonight?
Korpisalo in goal. I'm not sure if Columbus is mostly veterans or still have prospects in their lineup, because I'm not very familiar with many of their players because of all their recent turnover, and now being in The Eastern half of The NHL. The Blues are playing mostly their veterans, with Binnington in goal.

Edit. Columbus is playing mostly prospects as their skaters.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Good to see the A squad dominating Columbus’ AHLers. Preseason games aren’t all that important, but if your opening night roster can’t bury a bad team’s AHL squad a week before the first game, that would be concerning. Now the only concern is Krug’s injury situation. I saw JR tweet he headed to the locker room but haven’t been watching the game so I don’t know if he’s back or not.

EDIT: Didn’t notice JR’s update saying he seems to be okay. Good news. Pretty thin on defense as it is.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Good to see the A squad dominating Columbus’ AHLers. Preseason games aren’t all that important, but if your opening night roster can’t bury a bad team’s AHL squad a week before the first game, that would be concerning. Now the only concern is Krug’s injury situation. I saw JR tweet he headed to the locker room but haven’t been watching the game so I don’t know if he’s back or not.

EDIT: Didn’t notice JR’s update saying he seems to be okay. Good news. Pretty thin on defense as it is.

Thank goodness!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues are going to be too deep up front for a lot of teams to handle if these lines find and maintain some chemistry. There is a sick amount of depth when you’re looking at Sunny-Bozak-Barbie as a forth line with a healthy roster.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well I think after tonight, there’s no chance the Blues don’t give Neal a contract. He will be signed.

He can keep up fine and he is always around the net. I think the guys brought in this offseason fit our system a lot more. Hoffman could score but just wasn’t a great even strength fit. I look for us to get back to that style we won with and more traffic in front of goalies.

Walman looks fine too, he’s not hurting himself tonight. Neighbours in a 4th line role doesn’t look out of place either.

Reactions: blueper

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Blues are going to be too deep up front for a lot of teams to handle if these lines find and maintain some chemistry. There is a sick amount of depth when you’re looking at Sunny-Bozak-Barbie as a forth line with a healthy roster.
And with 4 goals in 5 games by Neal, it looks like he still has something left in the tank that can help The Blues. I thought he was just about washed up. But, The Blues still need to acquire a solid veteran LD.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Well I think after tonight, there’s no chance the Blues don’t give Neal a contract. He will be signed.

He can keep up fine and he is always around the net. I think the guys brought in this offseason fit our system a lot more. Hoffman could score but just wasn’t a great even strength fit. I look for us to get back to that style we won with and more traffic in front of goalies.

Walman looks fine too, he’s not hurting himself tonight. Neighbours in a 4th line role doesn’t look out of place either.

Neighbours has really played well tonight. He seems to be ready to contribute decently on The NHL level. I just hope that Kostin breaks out soon.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kyrou scores for a 6-0 lead! Means little against an AHL - prospect-laden team. But, at least The Blues' are getting back their timing with each other, and moving towards being ready for the real games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad