Bloomington Bison joining ECHL in 2024-25

battra

Oct 24, 2017
Gave a reminder to the wife last night.

We going to Bloomington this year in the spring, I hope...coz I don't think they're going to be around next season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Gave a reminder to the wife last night.

We going to Bloomington this year in the spring, I hope...coz I don't think they're going to be around next season.
they'll be here for a while.... the ECHL doesn't allow a 1 yr expansion and a contract affiliation w/ the Rangers/Hartford if the team wasn't going to be here long-term..... this isn't DSE that over-extended its ownership

battra

Oct 24, 2017
they'll be here for a while.... the ECHL doesn't allow a 1 yr expansion and a contract affiliation w/ the Rangers/Hartford if the team wasn't going to be here long-term..... this isn't DSE that over-extended its ownership
Hope you're right.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hope you're right.
then why would the ECHL approve the expansion to Bloomington, then, nevermind the other new franchise that was added in Tahoe..... posters are forgetting the ECHL isn't there the way the NHL/AHL is w/ 32 teams.... what markets haven't yet been served.... similiar to when Coachella Valley was announced there was no previous franchise history there

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
then why would the ECHL approve the expansion to Bloomington, then, nevermind the other new franchise that was added in Tahoe..... posters are forgetting the ECHL isn't there the way the NHL/AHL is w/ 32 teams.... what markets haven't yet been served.... similiar to when Coachella Valley was announced there was no previous franchise history there
:help:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I think you’re overthinking it if you think that teaming up with NYR is a guarantee to definitely last more than a year. The ECHL is pretty far down the list of things that NHL execs and national media care about.

That being said, while Bloomington has a troubled history, there’s more money in the market than ever before, hockey’s popularity is growing again, and the Bison seemingly have a very eager-to-please municipal partner that absolutely wants a tenant for the soon-to-be-renamed arena. Even if the gate isn’t big, I think they’ll stick around for a little while at least.

Got a Bison shirt for Father’s Day, too. Doing our part.

CrazyEddie20

What's a fonzanoon?
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Eh, I think you’re overthinking it if you think that teaming up with NYR is a guarantee to definitely last more than a year. The ECHL is pretty far down the list of things that NHL execs and national media care about.

That being said, while Bloomington has a troubled history, there’s more money in the market than ever before, hockey’s popularity is growing again, and the Bison seemingly have a very eager-to-please municipal partner that absolutely wants a tenant for the soon-to-be-renamed arena. Even if the gate isn’t big, I think they’ll stick around for a little while at least.

Got a Bison shirt for Father’s Day, too. Doing our part.

I think a lot of the problem with Bloomington's history is that we've seen several bad ownership groups in lesser leagues try to operate teams without sufficient capital to properly market the product.

Look at the PrairieThunder, who actually got off to a decent start at the gate, drawing 3,700-plus on average their first season. They played in the UHL, a league for older players hanging on, meatheads looking to fight, and a (very) few hungry young players desperate for a shot at higher levels. It was new, it was hot, but it wasn't great hockey. Even after the hasty combination with the CHL (which was, essentially, the same kind of league, though with fewer vets and meatheads), they hemorrhaged attendance until finally going under, drawing 2,600 or so per game in the final season, and the Blaze drew similar numbers under Jim Riggs, one of minor league hockey's most notorious(ly bad) general managers.

The SPHL didn't do any better, despite reduced costs, as often happens. Fans with deep pockets get sold on the SPHL because they think that lower travel costs will make all the difference. It never does.

If the Bison ownership, which has had some success in Indy, does a similar marketing effort in Bloomington, they could have as much success as the PrairieThunder did in their first two seasons.

But they have to spend the money on marketing. Too often, especially in smaller markets, owners just throw open the doors, thinking that will be enough. It never is.

Reactions: Roadhog

battra

Oct 24, 2017
I have absolutely no idea.

I'm not sure how my saying I hope you're right elicits that.

But still, I hope you're right.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Can't find this on their website, nor on their X or F/B accounts. Source, please?
you know how some teams have social media but not all teams have staff dedicated to it.... well it's just like any franchise fan sites fill in those gaps... and since Bloomington is a new franchise.... at least to the ECHL.... they've done the North Division teams on their page.... started w/ Adirondack, then Wheeling... Norfolk.... Maine was just profiled by their fanbase.... reasoning is not everyone plays every other team here.... same as we culminate from the league .... I would expect they'll get to every team in the off season and likely T-R is next from what is out there for those fans likely new to the league that are maybe unaware or may not follow teams that may not play or see.... it's like Tahoe as well... what do the established teams and fanbases really know about a new market.... kinda of why this thread was created as it is for most new franchises here... will we see Bison posters here.... or do they know about this forum/site yet....

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
you know how some teams have social media but not all teams have staff dedicated to it.... well it's just like any franchise fan sites fill in those gaps... and since Bloomington is a new franchise.... at least to the ECHL.... they've done the North Division teams on their page.... started w/ Adirondack, then Wheeling... Norfolk.... Maine was just profiled by their fanbase.... reasoning is not everyone plays every other team here.... same as we culminate from the league .... I would expect they'll get to every team in the off season and likely T-R is next from what is out there for those fans likely new to the league that are maybe unaware or may not follow teams that may not play or see.... it's like Tahoe as well... what do the established teams and fanbases really know about a new market.... kinda of why this thread was created as it is for most new franchises here... will we see Bison posters here.... or do they know about this forum/site yet....
So it’s the fans doing it, not the team

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So in one extra word: "Bison FANBOIS have been profiling the other franchises in the ECHL W/ A BRIEF SYNOPSIS of their history....". A very handy resource to stimulate conversation about the return of pro hockey to BLM-town.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Lost in the usual chatter ...
BISON TO PLAY FUEL IN LONE PRESEASON GAME
TUESDAY, JUNE 18TH

BLOOMINGTON - The Bloomington Bison will host the Indy Fuel at Grossinger Motors Arena in their lone preseason game on Saturday, October 12, 2024.

This will be the first-ever game played for the Bloomington Bison, one of the newest teams to join the ECHL for the 2024-25 season along with the Lake Tahoe Knight Monsters.

Puck drop will be at 5:00 p.m. CDT and tickets for the game will be available soon. ...

Read more at: https://bloomingtonbisonhockey.com/news/2024/06/bison-to-play-fuel-in-lone-preseason-game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad