Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I guess Toronto is desirable destination... if you want to have a great regular season, make the playoffs and get bounced in rd 1 and than get overpaid on your next contract.
If you're good at getting what you want for a contract, its a good place to go as the previous and current general manager are both suckers and will cave in to your offer.

Reactions: WhyYouHaveToBeMad

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Except I never mentioned the press. Everyone wants to talk history except when it's pointed out that historically toronto has the 2nd most cups, then history is irrelevant.
Yes, Toronto was a winning formative, pre-war, and Original 6 Franchise, by the 1970's the game and the league was another thing all together. People refer to it as Era's of the NHL.

Are you suggesting the dominance of the Turk Broda Leafs IS relevant to free agent professional hockey players born ~2000 in terms of joining a "winning" NHL franchise?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not really everything in Canada costs much more. Besides it's the anonymity that they are after the most.
Not really. You can get a damn nice house in Edmonton for 1 million. Do you think you can get something in NY for that? NYR attracts a lot of UFAs.

I do agree with the highlighted part of your post. It would be come a pain if you are out for dinner with your wife and fans are approaching you.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not really. You can get a damn nice house in Edmonton for 1 million. Do you think you can get something in NY for that? NYR attracts a lot of UFAs.
Just for fun did quick search I know it's from 2014 but kind of interesting. Edmonton is on the list not far from NY. To think these prices seem like a steal compared to today haha. Cheers

Edit; Edmonton real estate much cheaper then NY on luxury real estate just to be clear I agree with you there.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just for fun did quick search I know it's from 2014 but kind of interesting. Edmonton is on the list not far from NY. To think these prices seem like a steal compared to today haha. Cheers

In article it says
Canada uses an average, total of all houses divided by number of houses.
US uses the house price in the middle of all houses.
Could be similar to average or could be quite a bit different
Buy ya it is a 10 year old document.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
In article it says
Canada uses an average, total of all houses divided by number of houses.
US uses the house price in the middle of all houses.
Could be similar to average or could be quite a bit different
Buy ya it is a 10 year old document.
Thanks for clarifying missed that the old median vs average thing.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Do you really want to know “why not”?

Sure. Outside of some "can't win with them" or " past results guarantee future results" there isn't much.

New coaching staff (and the coach is a recent winner who also won a team with a similar drought to win), revamped defense, stars in contract years, and huge potential in goal and the need to win now.

Why can't a team that is historically in the top 10 teams with the above points make a run? We've seen that the past several seasons.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Yes, Toronto was a winning formative, pre-war, and Original 6 Franchise, by the 1970's the game and the league was another thing all together. People refer to it as Era's of the NHL.

Are you suggesting the dominance of the Turk Broda Leafs IS relevant to free agent professional hockey players born ~2000 in terms of joining a "winning" NHL franchise?
Not relevant to today's hockey but then neither is Maurice Richard, so are we dismissing history or not? Does success 30 years ago matter or not? How about 10 years ago? Really only this year ahead matters, the rest is the past, it's gone, yesterday's news now fish wrap.
So what's your team looking like THIS year?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I'm going to need more then a bleacher report blogger before I buy that.

I also don't think Jeff Skinner choosing to play with Mcdavid is a sign of that either.

The Leafs don't seem to have issues recruiting players.

Tavares
Brodie
ROR
Foligno
Marleau
Tanev
OEL
McCabe

Sure there are a couple rentals there but all these guys and more had either full or partial control over where they went and they all chose to come here, I don't see a case to be made for Toronto having trouble attracting players.

as long as Matthews is a Leaf they won't

I missed that entirely then because I never even heard the speculation
I agree with your overall conclusion, but 1/3 of the guys you list (ROR, McCabe, Foligno) were traded for and didn't "choose" Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad