Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Cup or bust
that's a real tough call ...... but I'll go with bust. 😆
And bet any leaf that's willing to place money on it..
Although I've never come accross one my life.
First time for everything I suppose.

I live in Toronto and I can tell you it's not appealing as a city as it used to

High taxes.
Constant traffic

I loved growing up here. Just don't recognize this city anymore
ditto

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
No longer? Not sure the phrasing is right here. I'll assume it means the current core is no longer seen as a viable playoff winner. Hard to argue that given the record in these playoffs in receny years.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I read it fine the first time. I'm not sure what re-reading it will do, but ok. The poster I replied to doesn't seem to be taking offense to what I said. I'm not sure why you are.
It's quite obvious that the second time he wrote "3rd" he meant "2nd", looking at the context of his first mention of "3rd".

But you wrote that you did not mean it to be a condescending correction. So this dialogue should be over.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Players on Sun Belt teams are going to get recognized when they go out.

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Funny the out of touch good ole boys on every level of hockey trains hockey players to have no personality , be humble and a don’t be “ selfish” then go to sunbelt team so they can get out media spotlight in Canada so they can be humble and won’t be “ selfish “. The irony is lost on the old boys network

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Solid yes.
But I've never seen a vet Dman go to Toronto and not have his game go south to some degree.
TJ Brodie was fantastic for the first couple years of his contract, it’s only in the last yr that his play fell off.

Imagine taking anything Bleacher Report says as gospel

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
TJ Brodie was fantastic for the first couple years of his contract, it’s only in the last yr that his play fell off.

Imagine taking anything Bleacher Report says as gospel
My opinion is not influenced one iota by whoever or what ever Bleacher report is

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Correct. Have you seen the half assing when the coach hurts their feelings, or the lame injuries guys sit out with?

Maybe intensity or mentality would've been a better word choice, but you get the point
God the NBA is SO SOFT from when I stopped watching it in the 90's and early 2000's.

Load management BS, etc

I remember a game I attended in Toronto when Chicago came to town. Coach told Michael to sit it out and he said "No, these people came to see me play and I want to put on a show for them"

GOAT

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
yea, TML are a tiresome organization. Have been for a looooong time
TML have a huge rabid fanbase that unfortunately the local media feels like it is their job to keep them fed.

Biggest thing to me is that to be a premiere destination you have to have big cap $ available to outbid other teams on the market, and the Leafs have been in cap hell for a long time now. Leafs doing tricks with signing bonuses and the future of Robidas island, but they don't have the room to successfully go after the premiere guys.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Of course they dont - who would want to join a market thats devoid of success but with the expectations of a dynasty?

I listen to clips of the SDPN podcast sometimes - and it was never more evident how toxic Toronto is with hockey than when the Keefe comments about 'joining the real NHL' got back to Canada

Every outlet was saying how if it wasnt for Toronto and their money and fans, so on and so on...

Its an elitist mentality tied to a relegation-worthy club
Who expects a dynasty? This is a fanbase who celebrated in the streets when we won a FIRST ROUND SERIES

Leafs fans expectations are in the gutter, you give us one deep run in 10 years and we'll talk about it fondly

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Welcome to the club Toronto, Mike Sullivan did this to the Penguins about 4-5 seasons ago, you’re late to the party but we’ve been expecting you.

Reactions: PaulD

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I would imagine anyone from anywhere would take the best offer available $ wise. Anyone in their right mind would play for any team if the deal was good.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is the big thing to me. I bet Petro would have loved an offer, but the Leafs were capped out.

They spent 5mil on Brodie the same offseason and had a bunch of 1-3mil pieces they could (and later did) flip for a pick and replace internally. The money for Petro was there with the 10% offseason cap overage and clearing the extra Kerfoot he costs over Brodie is trivial.

The reality is he either didn’t want to come here or he only would at a significantly higher number than he got in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad