Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Toronto has never won a third round series when they won their last cup the 3rd round was the final round. Crazy! People had not landed on the moon yet!

Reactions: fahad203

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think to a degree this is true in essence, but not in practice. Obviously Toronto can win - their regular season record is proof of that and is undebatable that they can have success.

But the Leafs' success is only skin deep, in my opinion, as the playoff record lies in stark contrast. Plus, the over-reliance on several players does not equate to a winning CULTURE, which suggests things like team cohesion, ability to battle together, sacrifice, perseverance, etc. It seems to me anyways that the Leafs success is more individually driven rather than team driven. Winning is still occurring, which is why perhaps it can be technically true that the Leafs can win, but still paradoxically be that they are not truly winning.

Reactions: Dog

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Toronto has never won a third round series when they won their last cup the 3rd round was the final round. Crazy! People had not landed on the moon yet!
Pretty sure it was only two rounds back then.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
It's not surprising. Some very good players, but what have they done?

Edmonton hasn't "won" anything, but they have been close now. 2 conference finals last 3 years. 1 SCF game 7 and lose 2-1. You also see the talent they have. They are still in their prime.

Add the media scrutiny to it. It's big in Edmonton too and most Canadian cities.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Winnipeg, EDM, sure.

Vancouver and Toronto regularly get into the the "Top 10 Most Expensive Cities In The World to Live In".
WPG yes, Edmonton too, but there are a TON of ON and BC people moving to Edmonton. I swear every other license plater is from there. They might have made fun of Edmonton, but noew they are flocking here because they can never afford to buy even a townhouse in their dreams. Edmonton is going to go up like CGY already has. Already have CGY people flocking up here.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Between the noise, taxes, and lack of money for anyone outside of the core; I don't blame anyone for not signing with the Leafs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
riiiiiiight!!! taking the opinion of a perennial loser. lmao. which im sure he didnt even say. which guys said this? just insiders drumming up business for themselves.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don’t see how a player (like Skinner) choosing to ultimately sign in Edmonton after they were 2 goals from the Stanley Cup and having the best player in the world on their roster should be considered a negative reflection on the places he chose not to sign. That’s not how it works.

Someone here said Henrique took 500k less than Toronto offered to stay in Edmonton. First of all, never heard anything regarding Toronto & Henrique - sounds make up. But even if it’s true, should it be surprising a player wanted to stay in a situation that was good for them?

As far as I can tell he may be combining two different stories. Leafs were reportedly interest in Henrique but it was the Jets who reportedly offered him (or were prepared to) $3.5 million.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
A 700k house in Edmonton probably costs about 2 million in a lot of BC. Close to that. Toronto too.
I’m not saying I don’t believe you. I’m just saying it’s not unique to Canada. Edmonton has a lot of undesirability that would lead its housing market to be lower than say Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto. It’s not a Canada only thing.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
This would be true if Canadian products were priced at the same number as American products. 1 million doesn’t get you the same size house in Toronto that 1 million gets you in Carolina or Texas, it’s not close even if you add a 30% bonus onto the Toronto budget. Pick any grocery store product and it’s probably more than 30% more expensive in Toronto than most American cities.
If you think this is true, then you have not been comparing prices. As someone who does quite a bit of cross-border shopping, I can tell you that is not at all the case. There are some things that are certainly cheaper (produce, dairy, eggs) but there are others that are substantially more expensive (processed foods, dry goods, soda, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad