<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well, in my gym it's that one end of the barbell will roll a few inches while the other stays still. I have no idea how this happens, but yes, very annoying.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Well, in my gym it's that one end of the barbell will roll a few inches while the other stays still. I have no idea how this happens, but yes, very annoying.

Haha, yeah I have this too at my gym. The worst thing is that the padding on the floor is a grid so it becomes very obvious when this happens, and I can't do the lift until I fix it because it feels... off

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Haha, yeah I have this too at my gym. The worst thing is that the padding on the floor is a grid so it becomes very obvious when this happens, and I can't do the lift until I fix it because it feels... off

Yeah, that was my one, solitary hope when they went from bumper plates to octagonal that at least the bar wouldn't roll anymore. Nope.

I suddenly develop OCD on deadlift days, much to the aggravation of my workout partner.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
1. Guys who superset while on the squat rack.
2. Guys who take over 40 minutes on the squat rack for anything other than deadlifts or squats.
3. Guys who bench in the squat rack when there are benches available.
4. Guys who do anything other than legs, deadlifts or bench in the squat rack.
5. The ******* gym employee in my gym who added a 10lbs weight on just one side of the bench bar to get me injured. Did it cause he thought I was the one who didn't rack the weights. If having a criminal record didn't bar me from ever working in my field, I would've taken the weight and smacked it right on the side of his head.
6. Biker run gyms like the one ******* employee works at.
7. Guys who show off.
8. ********** that try to get in my face when I'm quietly lifting. Happens way too often unfortunately.
9. Pet peeve with my training partners: excuses and not going hard.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
2. Guys who take over 40 minutes on the squat rack for anything other than deadlifts or squats.
5. The ******* gym employee in my gym who added a 10lbs weight on just one side of the bench bar to get me injured. Did it cause he thought I was the one who didn't rack the weights. If having a criminal record didn't bar me from ever working in my field, I would've taken the weight and smacked it right on the side of his head.
7. Guys who show off.
8. ********** that try to get in my face when I'm quietly lifting. Happens way too often unfortunately.

Wow. How is someone like that employed at a gym? I hope you reported that?

jake08

Apr 6, 2013
people who half rep bench and squat, or when they have the spotter doing bicep curls to get the bar up. They make me made, but i also laugh

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
7. Guys who show off.

#5 is absolutely ridiculous. What a ******* move.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
When you're walking out of the locker room and you notice a guy flexing out taking pictures of himself in the mirror. Too bad they don't have a machine that builds self confidence.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Wow. How is someone like that employed at a gym? I hope you reported that?

It's a biker owned gym, the guy there had seniority over most of the other employees and knows the owners. It's a tough gym in a tough part of town. A lot of criminals and strippers work out there. I had 1 month remaining on the membership, so I left for a powerlifting gym, never been happier with my training.

Reporting it would've made me the laughing stock of the gym, and probably would've escalated things to a level I wasn't comfortable with.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some people do go to the gym for bodybuilding. I don't get mad when they are doing that. I don't even get mad that people flex/take pictures.

The overall idea is to be healthy and live a healthier lifestyle. If that motivates you at the end of a owrkout - then so be it.

Personally - i do not flex or take pictures of flexing. I also just don't care if people do it. Whatever motivates a person.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
7. Guys who show off.

Last gym visit a guy was curling 55 pounds (including the bar so 5 pounds on each side) inside the squat rack.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It really grinds my gears when you see idiots loading up the leg press with 8 plates on each side, doing about 10 half reps, and then they just get up and walk away leaving the plates on for someone else to take off. Complete selfish pigs I tell ya.

I also laugh at this guy at my gym who thinks he's a personal trainer and ends up doing curls on the bench press to help his buddies do their reps right from the first rep. Lower the weight!

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Guys who do half reps and think they're so strong make me laugh. I can understand on squats or something not being able to get parallel if you're not flexible (I'm personally not sure how far down I go since I'm quite inflexible). However, when you're doing squats and going down like a few inches, doing bench and and coming back up like half way, doing leg presses and and moving the thing a few inches, makes me laugh. Even with pushups I see guys who do half reps. I start counting in my head (one, one, one, one, one, one, one) and once they're done I say to myself, not a single rep was done. I don't specifically try to watch people, but when I'm in between sets and I'm just sitting there, I tend to notice people who think they're hot stuff and have such terrible form. I doubt I do everything perfectly myself, but I also don't try to act like I'm the man.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Guys who do half reps and think they're so strong make me laugh. I can understand on squats or something not being able to get parallel if you're not flexible (I'm personally not sure how far down I go since I'm quite inflexible). However, when you're doing squats and going down like a few inches, doing bench and and coming back up like half way, doing leg presses and and moving the thing a few inches, makes me laugh. Even with pushups I see guys who do half reps. I start counting in my head (one, one, one, one, one, one, one) and once they're done I say to myself, not a single rep was done. I don't specifically try to watch people, but when I'm in between sets and I'm just sitting there, I tend to notice people who think they're hot stuff and have such terrible form. I doubt I do everything perfectly myself, but I also don't try to act like I'm the man.

I would Like to agree with everything that was said in this post.

*nods*

Malinator

Feb 13, 2012
Sometimes half reps aren't all bad lol. Some people go by ''time under tension'' to try to promote muscle growth. Like benching, don't go all the way to the top or, bottom of the rep. So the weight is constantly putting strain on the muscle. I've tried it, it's tiring but I didn't stick with it enough to see if it actually worked.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Sometimes half reps aren't all bad lol. Some people go by ''time under tension'' to try to promote muscle growth. Like benching, don't go all the way to the top or, bottom of the rep. So the weight is constantly putting strain on the muscle. I've tried it, it's tiring but I didn't stick with it enough to see if it actually worked.
Bodybuilders often half rep to maintain TUT.

DaDucks*

Lol... Guess I might notice something if there werent hot chicks walking around at my gym.

Edit: I get upset when girls purposely tie their sweaters around their waist to cover up.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It really grinds my gears when you see idiots loading up the leg press with 8 plates on each side, doing about 10 half reps, and then they just get up and walk away leaving the plates on for someone else to take off. Complete selfish pigs I tell ya.

I also laugh at this guy at my gym who thinks he's a personal trainer and ends up doing curls on the bench press to help his buddies do their reps right from the first rep. Lower the weight!

A guy was benching 225 today. Really struggled with one rep by himself. His friend comes and spots him next time holding onto the bar. He does 4 reps and the spotter says all you. Drives me nuts.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get mad when dudes go to the gym to check women out. Or when you hear 2-3 guys talking all bro-like about a hot girl working out. How desperate can you be? Is the gym really the best place? :laugh: Focus on your workout, be respectful, and move along with your day. If you are realllllly that desperate, go check out this thing called the internet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad