<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

Jul 31, 2005
CA
:laugh::laugh:

There are plenty of reasons to go to the gym for other than hypertrophy. I train for endurance events, am I not allowed at the gym either?

That' what I was going to say. Runners can be great athletes and obviously for that sport you cannot cary around a bunch of bulk. As for the other side-most of the biggest guys at the gym got that way by injecting themselves in the butt with steroids. It's painfully obvious to those of us who have knowledge of the industry and they are usually the worst athletes in the gym.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That' what I was going to say. Runners can be great athletes and obviously for that sport you cannot cary around a bunch of bulk. As for the other side-most of the biggest guys at the gym got that way by injecting themselves in the butt with steroids. It's painfully obvious to those of us who have knowledge of the industry and they are usually the worst athletes in the gym.

The biggest guys with the glamorous muscles at my gym all have the worst form. That and lots of guys just curling. I don't really go often enough for it to bug me, I mainly only go to swim or if the weather is too nasty to run or bike outside. I just do my core work at home these days.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Watching people pay no attention to form whatsoever just so they can lift heavier weights. You know them. They swing the weights and arch their back doing bicep/hammer curls, half reps on the Bench/Squat/Leg Press. What, are you just so full of yourself that your prefer risking injury and/or slowing down your progress just so you can seem like you are stronger than you actually are?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
-People who stretch (complete waste of time and gym space)
-Hexagonal plates
-Smith machines, which are totally useless
-Thin and/or weak personal trainers

Wow this is a garbage list.

Stretching is very important. I trained with a fantastic power lifter and he took about 20 minutes to stretch before each workout.

I am not that big and I get guys at the gym who don't know who I am asking me to correct their deadlift form. The bigger guys that inject roids have horrible form.

I never use the smith machines, I do find them useless but that doesn't mean others don't. Personally I like them because they keep people off the actual squat racks.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Wow this is a garbage list.

Stretching is very important. I trained with a fantastic power lifter and he took about 20 minutes to stretch before each workout.

I am not that big and I get guys at the gym who don't know who I am asking me to correct their deadlift form. The bigger guys that inject roids have horrible form.

I never use the smith machines, I do find them useless but that doesn't mean others don't. Personally I like them because they keep people off the actual squat racks.

:laugh: That's true. Although sometimes I see people doing some terribad form on smith machine squats and my knees hurt just watching them.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Octagonal plates.

Nasty surprise yesterday, went in to do some deadlifts and couldn't find the bumper plates anywhere. Octagonal as far as the eye could see.

I figured someone had just moved them, go to ask the staff...nope they got rid of them. Since the rest of the gym uses octagonal weights they're just moving them into the area as well.

Tried to DL with those...oh do they suck.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Men who wear outfits to the gym. Wow, what happened to men? First, every dbag now wears beats by dre headphones, I guess the younger generation has to look exactly like each other to fit in. Now I'm seeing men in tights, I know the purpose of wearing compression materials I just didn't know it was made for people who are pumping iron and lifting like a body builder. I've seen a guy with red shoes, red shorts and red beats by dre headphones, cool outfit bro. Wait, are you a guy or a girl cause girls plan their outfits. Lastly, the little tuft of hair, kind of like a ponytail on the top of the back of their head. I call it the douchey Alfalfa. But it's good that you took time to do your hair before heading to a gym that is 75% men, wait, now it all makes sense!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like fashion therefore I wear matching under armour gear. I live by a rule you see a lot in hockey... Look good, feel good, play well. If your favorite sport is hockey, then you will see the toughest men wearing the best suits and be well dressed. It doesn't make you less of a man. To me, a man is okay with his sexuality to embrace wanting to look good. I also don't care if someone doesn't match at all. Whatever works.

Only thing I hate at gyms are if people are wearing jeans. That shouldn't be allowed.

I also prefer your standard 9.99 headphones but I won a pair of beats for free so I wear them occasionally, especially if I'm in the mood to listen to EDM or linkin park. The sound is 100x better. But on cardio days, 9.99 headphones stay in the ear the most.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
1. One of the things that really annoys me is if im doing cardio (elliptical) and your next to me on a machine, your buddy/besty/girl comes up and starts a half hour long conversation with you while standing in the little space that i have between us when my arms are moving back and forth. If i elbow your girlfriend in the head, its not my fault.

2. People farting in a crowded gym on the machine next to you. Thanks for ******** yourself next to me!

3. People not wiping down machines, thanks in advance for the two week long sinus plague im going to be getting because your a dirtball.

4. All the meat heads that take complete control over the free weight area. Its like there is a perimeter around that thing, they don't move when you say excuse me and they hang out in the same spots for hours admiring themselves in the mirror or talking to each other in groups standing around admiring the one guy actually lifting.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1. One of the things that really annoys me is if im doing cardio (elliptical) and your next to me on a machine, your buddy/besty/girl comes up and starts a half hour long conversation with you while standing in the little space that i have between us when my arms are moving back and forth. If i elbow your girlfriend in the head, its not my fault.

2. People farting in a crowded gym on the machine next to you. Thanks for ******** yourself next to me!

3. People not wiping down machines, thanks in advance for the two week long sinus plague im going to be getting because your a dirtball.

4. All the meat heads that take complete control over the free weight area. Its like there is a perimeter around that thing, they don't move when you say excuse me and they hang out in the same spots for hours admiring themselves in the mirror or talking to each other in groups standing around admiring the one guy actually lifting.

All 4 very solid points there. And sadly they happen at pretty much every gym I've ever been to.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

#4 is dead on. It's never leg or cardio day for meat heads, it's mirror/upper body day every day. If you're lucky they'll give you the guttural grunts so you know how heavy they are lifting.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1 - People who don't re-rack their weights.
2 - People who re-rack weights inthe wrong order. I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of different plates to get the one I need.
3 - People who commandeer multiple pieces of equipment to do a "circuit."
4 - People who don't wipe their sweat off equipment.
5 - People who drive slow/the limit in the fast/passing lane.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
People who don't wipe down benches or cardio equipment.

People who monopolize equipment for long periods of time. Do your sets then move on but don't take super long breaks between each set to get water, talk to people etc.

Taking dumbbells way across the gym and then leaving them there.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
People who don't wipe down benches or cardio equipment.

People who monopolize equipment for long periods of time. Do your sets then move on but don't take super long breaks between each set to get water, talk to people etc.

Taking dumbbells way across the gym and then leaving them there.

Ask to work in then. I take a half hour to do squats, with 5 minutes of rest between sets because I go for max weight and need the recovery. I don't have any problem with people working in, but don't judge people for resting if you don't ask to work in.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Most annoying thing for me is the guys who yell or get loud after they just finished a set. We get it, you just completed your 3rd set. The weight throwers are similar. Guys who want you to see that they just racked a 45. It's annoying, but the guys who yell are worse IMO.

Groups of young guys (17-20 generally). I hate this. They do more flexing and talking then lifting. They're entitled and obnoxious.

The advise giver is also one that I hate. Generally it's from a guy in his 30's that's still trying to hit on 18 year old girls because he lives alone, goes to the gym, and works an hourly job. Here he is still someone, or thinks he is anyway. The most common one at my gym has a gut (not saying much, as I still have one too but I'm not acting like Arnold either), and thinks he knows everything.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The new years revolution flood of new members. In the next few days every gym all over north America will face a stampede of new members many of whom know nothing about diet or exercise but dammit they will get on the treadmill, set it to go fast as possible and then blow out a body part so they don't have to go back.

Last edited:

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
The new years revolution flood of new members. In the next few day every gym all over north America will face a stampede of new members many of whom know nothing about diet or exercise but dammit they will get on the treadmill, set it to go fast as possible and then blow out a body part so they don't have to get back.

Easily the worst 3-4 weeks of the year. I hate to root for people to fail, but I anxiously count down the days until they all decide it's too hard and stop coming to the gym.

One that stood out this morning: a guy asked to work in on a machine (which I have no problem with), but didn't change the weight back after his set. Did it to me two times. Come on now.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
The new years revolution flood of new members. In the next few days every gym all over north America will face a stampede of new members many of whom know nothing about diet or exercise but dammit they will get on the treadmill, set it to go fast as possible and then blow out a body part so they don't have to go back.

Easily the worst 3-4 weeks of the year. I hate to root for people to fail, but I anxiously count down the days until they all decide it's too hard and stop coming to the gym.

Something that bugs me is veteran elitists who are unwelcoming to new members. I guess you were born in good shape and with a deep knowledge of weight room etiquette. Yeah, they get in the way. But at least they're there, trying to make a positive difference in their life, and good on 'em. Instead of complaining and hoping they leave, maybe welcome them and tell them what to do better. Yeesh.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Tell me about it. They are everywhere but that's ok by mid January I expect most of them to disappear.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Something that bugs me is veteran elitists who are unwelcoming to new members. I guess you were born in good shape and with a deep knowledge of weight room etiquette. Yeah, they get in the way. But at least they're there, trying to make a positive difference in their life, and good on 'em. Instead of complaining and hoping they leave, maybe welcome them and tell them what to do better. Yeesh.

Well that was quite the ad hominen argument. Weight room etiquette is the same as common sense etiquette. Would you go into someone's house and move their stuff around and then leave? Didn't think so.

I absolutely commend people for trying to improve their fitness. But a lot of people have zero manners in public. All us "veteran elitists" are asking is if you get in the way, say excuse me. If you pick up weights, put them back in their proper place. If you leave sweat on the mat/bench, wipe it up. If you move someone's weight, put it back. Not too much to ask, correct?

Jul 31, 2005
CA

Haha, nice try. These are people who have let themselves go, have nobody to blame but themselves, do not hire a trainer, have no idea how to work out, have no idea how to eat, they have put ZERO effort into getting into shape other than signing a contract. The people who have had enough of the blubbery body or their doctor told them either they lose weight or lose their left foot and decided today is the day to change their lives I'm 100% behind them. Being in shape isn't about a resolution, it's about 365 days a year of hard work and dedication.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00