Tribute Blake Wheeler appreciation thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Come on. He deserves more than just an addendum to his 6 year old contract announcement thread. Blake was a beautiful ambassador for the club and the city. His on ice performance couldn't keep up with his impact in the community, but he was a monster in both respects. The Jets/Thrashers all-time leader in points and GP, he was nearly PPG over 12 seasons. While the buyout is necessary from a mutually logical perspective, it's still a hard pill to swallow. I hope he'll be remembered more fondly than has been the last two seasons.

This still lives rent free in my head as the single greatest Wheeler goal in Jets 2.0 history.

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I respect Wheelers effort on the ice and the contributions he made to the community.

No one is perfect, but, I'm glad both he and the Jets recognized that it was time to move one.

All the best Blake.

8UIQ.gif

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Great person on and off the ice. The best forward in Jets 2.0 history. Him putting his shoulder down and flying down the RW and beating d-men in footraces is one of the classic Wheeler moments.

Always gave it his all on the ice and never took a game off (unlike so many other Jets *cough* PLD *cough*). People would comment on how he looked winded on the bench after his shifts and use that to chirp him about his age but to me that was him giving it his all every shift and not just casually gliding around the ice conserving energy and halfassing shifts.

The hit job on him by the Laine fans (both Finnish ones and Jets fan ones) and the media was really unfortunate.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm actually pleased and relieved that it ended this way--with class, on both sides. Pro sports is a tough, tough business and if Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded or bought out.

Leadership in such public roles is capricious and depends so much on circumstantial factors. (eg, Churchill was considered a pedestrian leader before WW2). Blake's intense leadership style didn't fit the Winnipeg Jets room, but, conversely, the Jets' failures these past few years fell hard on the shoulders of their captain. It led to an unhealthy cycle, so this amicable parting feels healthy for both sides.

Ultimately, this will all be long forgotten when he receives a hero's welcome back when his playing days are done.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

When, with fortune and Jetted men's eyes,
We alone beweep Wheels’ outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with our bootless cries
And look upon all of us and curse his age,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with Jets friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's goals and shots dope,
With what I most enjoy was Geno’s face paste’d;
Yet in these thoughts almost despising,
Happily I think on Wheels, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet dangles remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 7.44.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 7.44.31 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Wheeler is one of the best Jets either 2.0 or 1.0. He committed to this organization and city fully, and gave it everything he had on the ice. He and his wife were also extremely active in the community as well.

In his prime he was an elite winger and like almost all Jets before him didn't get the recognition he deserved.

I hope he has tremendous success on his next team, and I hope when he comes back to Winnipeg he gets a well deserved loud and long standing ovation.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Thank you for everything, Blake. I hope you find success with your next team

Seeing that @macmaroon took all the good gifs, here's a couple of scraps with Wheels doing OK.

Not noted as a fighter but did what he can to motivate the team

Against Bergeron (both TSN and NESN were surprised at this one - I posted the TSN one)

Against Stone because f*** vegas ..........

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad