Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks agree to terms with Stephen Johns on a 2-year deal

Nothingman*

Saw the gifs from Fenway, reminded me of this one:
1+Gaudreau.gif

I still think Johns has quite a bit of work to put in before he projects ahead of the bottom pair. I've read his skating is much better, but I've still seen quite a bit of vulnerability there. I'm guessing he'll need quite a few AHL games to get used to defending against faster and stronger skaters before he's ready to contribute on the big team. I'm hopeful regardless.

OK. Then why didn't you post his plays where he knocks a guy into next week, scores, plays good D? Because....his whole career is that one play. We don't know if that was the end of a shift or what.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
OK. Then why didn't you post his plays where he knocks a guy into next week, scores, plays good D? Because....his whole career is that one play. We don't know if that was the end of a shift or what.

This has happened to him more than once. No one's saying he's not an excellent prospect, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some things he needs to improve upon. Relax.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
People are just pointing out that all this "Johns to NHL" or "NHL ready" talk is well off the mark

Guy likely needs at least a year in Rockford ,, Dahlbeck is well ahead in development then him (Or Clendening) at this point defensively and should be 1st option for Hawks from system

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Guys, of course Clendening and johns need to develop but to argue that there's no way they can be 2nd pairing Dmen?

I think you all have a very very lofty definition of what a second line defensemen is:

-Hjalmarsson is a top pairing defensemen.
-Oduya was a top pairing D last season and is now a 4D.
-Leddy is a 4D.

Do people really think Johns and Clendening can never be as good as Leddy is THIS season?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Clendening is a trainwreck defensively ,, He at best will be PP QB/#5 in NHL (IMO of course)

He doesn't have skating or instincts to improve like I expect Leddy will in longrun

Thus why it is best Hawks use him as trade bait

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
People are just pointing out that all this "Johns to NHL" or "NHL ready" talk is well off the mark

Guy likely needs at least a year in Rockford ,, Dahlbeck is welll ahead in development then him (Or Clendening) at this point defensively and should be 1st option for Hawks from system

I agree with this post but you said they will NEVER be 2nd pairing D.

Dahlbeck is a Q man crush waiting to happen, Clendening would be brought along like Leddy and who knows on Johns-- we've never had a prospect like him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Dahlbeck is a Q man crush waiting to happen, Clendening would be brought along like Leddy and who knows on Johns-- we've never had a prospect like him.

I'm generally not one to say someone will "never" be so and so. They very well could be second pairing d-men someday. It won't be someday soon, in my opinion, but a couple/few years down the road? Sure. I wouldn't write that off completely. Going to take a lot to crack the top four on this team, however. The top three are pretty much locked in for life at this point, for all intents and purposes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Q man crush? Why because he plays both ends of ice well? :help:

I think all NHL coaches would love guy like that

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm really uninterested in whether Johns or Clendening will actually be on the 2nd pairing. I'm very interested in whether they can be 2nd pairing quality defensemen. I think they absolutely can be. In fact, I'd say it's better than 50% that they end up being that good.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Guy likely needs at least a year in Rockford ,, Dahlbeck is ahead in development then him (Or Clendening) at this point defensively and should be 1st option for Hawks from system

This has happened to him more than once. No one's saying he's not an excellent prospect, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some things he needs to improve upon. Relax.

These posts are along the lines of the point I was trying to make.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Would you prefer he have 0 PTs and instead of hav the second best +\- on the team, he be -35?

Dumb to not take his points into account.

Where do you all think #3-4d come from? Not everyone has a fully formed defensive game at 21. Including: Keith, Seabrook, Leddy.

Not sure what you thought, but all I was saying that there's way more to someone's game than their point totals.

We literally just saw a player put up the most points in the AHL and then end up being sent to the Panthers for a couple of picks.

I never said Clendening will or won't be anything. But projecting anything about him just because he's putting up a lot of points is flimsy at best.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Clendening is a trainwreck defensively ,, He at best will be PP QB/#5 in NHL (IMO of course)

He doesn't have skating or instincts to improve like I expect Leddy will in longrun

Thus why it is best Hawks use him as trade bait
Have you even seen Clendening play? He is far from a trainwreck defensively, he needs some work and isnt NHL ready, but he doesn't completely suck defensively. He has made good strides this year from the games I have seen.

He has the highest +/- (next to Dahlbeck) out of all the Dmen on the Hogs and plays against some of the top players from the other team.

And he definitely has the instincts to improve, like he has since he got to RFD. His skating isnt Leddy like, but it doesn't hinder him either. I see his offensive ceiling being higher than Leddys, and him being a Zidlicky/Krug type of player.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Not sure what you thought, but all I was saying that there's way more to someone's game than their point totals.

We literally just saw a player put up the most points in the AHL and then end up being sent to the Panthers for a couple of picks.

I never said Clendening will or won't be anything. But projecting anything about him just because he's putting up a lot of points is flimsy at best.

For a better package than Hemsky. Pirri still has 2C potential and is an NHL player.

If Clendening is the defensive version of Pirri, I don't think it's a bad thing. Pirri didn't fit in with the hawks and if a Clendening doesn't play the Hawks style than you can deal him for good value.

Again, I'm interested in potential not whether Johns got walked once by a Hobey Baker winner or whether Clendenings D is NHL caliber right now.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
BTW, bowman himself said we have 10 NHL D. The 8 on the team and then Dahlbeck and... Has to be a Clendening. So if he feels he is NHL ready,that's good enough for me.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
BTW, bowman himself said we have 10 NHL D. The 8 on the team and then Dahlbeck and... Has to be a Clendening. So if he feels he is NHL ready,that's good enough for me.

Well truthfully the Hawks have 7 NHL D and a failed bust on NHL roster

Bowman is GM ,, He will speak positively of things (That is his job)

Hawks have 7 NHL defenders and 2 defenders who may be NHL caliber (Dahlbeck/Clendening)

Nothingman*

Have you not watched Keith the last two weeks?! He has had these moments all year. I would say Keith needs to check those pinches too. And after all these years he still makes mistakes. To say Johns, who is a decent skater and has a different skill set, needs seasoning is valid yet silly when Brookbank makes many many more mistakes a game and is good for nothing more than a punching bag most nights. I have no prob with Johns as a 6-7. And I gave not seen the opponents posting you tubes of his good okay as stated above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Have you not watched Keith the last two weeks?! He has had these moments all year. I would say Keith needs to check those pinches too. And after all these years he still makes mistakes. To say Johns, who is a decent skater and has a different skill set, needs seasoning is valid yet silly when Brookbank makes many many more mistakes a game and is good for nothing more than a punching bag most nights. I have no prob with Johns as a 6-7. And I gave not seen the opponents posting you tubes of his good okay as stated above.

What does Keith have to do with anything? NHL players make mistakes and have bad stretches, no one said otherwise. He's made them against NHL players, not college players. Big difference. Apples and oranges.

And I'm not sure what you're arguing as I'm a fan of Johns and am elated they signed him. I think he'll be a good NHL defenseman and a style of D-man this team could use. However, there is absolutely nothing silly about suggesting a player coming out of four years of college hockey needs seasoning and improvement in certain areas. He's a big body, and he does move well for a big man but he still needs to improve his footwork a bit and will have to adjust his angles to be a successful pro. There are young NHL players who play a good NHL game who still need to work on things, let alone someone who hasn't played a single pro game yet and is rather accustomed to being a man amongst boys at the college level. Turning pro from that is a huge adjustment, because he was such a great college player that mistakes and shortcomings he had there he got away with. He won't anymore, even in the AHL. It's not a criticism of him as a player, it's just a fact amongst players turning pro. He's no exception. I don't think it will take him long, for the record.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
ChrisBlock ‏@ChrisBlock 13m
Rockford #IceHogs roster tonight in Abbotsford lists Stephen Johns as #36, Ryan Hartman still #4. Johns there, expected to play. #Blackhawks

Nothingman*

What does Keith have to do with anything? NHL players make mistakes and have bad stretches, no one said otherwise. He's made them against NHL players, not college players. Big difference. Apples and oranges.

And I'm not sure what you're arguing as I'm a fan of Johns and am elated they signed him. I think he'll be a good NHL defenseman and a style of D-man this team could use. However, there is absolutely nothing silly about suggesting a player coming out of four years of college hockey needs seasoning and improvement in certain areas. He's a big body, and he does move well for a big man but he still needs to improve his footwork a bit and will have to adjust his angles to be a successful pro. There are young NHL players who play a good NHL game who still need to work on things, let alone someone who hasn't played a single pro game yet and is rather accustomed to being a man amongst boys at the college level. Turning pro from that is a huge adjustment, because he was such a great college player that mistakes and shortcomings he had there he got away with. He won't anymore, even in the AHL. It's not a criticism of him as a player, it's just a fact amongst players turning pro. He's no exception. I don't think it will take him long, for the record.

Not arguing with you but following the string.

Nothing more Pejorative Slured than bringing up one play from a player and basically stating that is how he plays. YouTube is a blessing and a curse. I watched a few ND games and he was the best player on the ice in all those games. But....that would mean an attention span of greater than a 10 second clip is necessary which is not the case it seems when judging players.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think anytime somebody posts a YouTube clip of a defensive play, good or bad, and uses it to say "See! He's great!" or "See! He's not that good!" isn't being fair to the player or to the discussion.

I know nothing about Johns so i won't comment on where i see him. I do know that i could show that highlight of the goal-saving stick lift by Keith against Minny a few nights ago and then show 5 videos of gaffes from him. You have to look at a player's body of work as a whole, not just one game.

Now, the contributions Hawks posters make to the Prospect/Draft thread are amazing and I trust your guy's opinions and observations a lot. If after watching Johns for his college career (like some of you have) you still feel he's not anywhere near NHL ready then that's more than fair.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think anytime somebody posts a YouTube clip of a defensive play, good or bad, and uses it to say "See! He's great!" or "See! He's not that good!" isn't being fair to the player or to the discussion.

I know nothing about Johns so i won't comment on where i see him. I do know that i could show that highlight of the goal-saving stick lift by Keith against Minny a few nights ago and then show 5 videos of gaffes from him. You have to look at a player's body of work as a whole, not just one game.

Now, the contributions Hawks posters make to the Prospect/Draft thread are amazing and I trust your guy's opinions and observations a lot. If after watching Johns for his college career (like some of you have) you still feel he's not anywhere near NHL ready then that's more than fair.

This is the internet dude. If you admit you don't religiously follow every team in the five highest leagues how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously?

Johns has all the tools. I think he might end up a forward if his game doesn't progress at this next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad