Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks agree to terms with Stephen Johns on a 2-year deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Outstanding. I would like to see Stan ink Paliotta as well. Need these type of d-men in your pipeline.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
awesome news as my favorite Hawks prospect is officially in the fold!! :handclap::handclap:

great job Stan-O for getting this deal done, we simply cannot lose him in any way, shape, or form.

I would love to see him play up with the Hawks for the final few games but I don't think we have the cap room to do so, but it is exciting seeing him and his buddy Clendening together in Rockford.

do not underestimate the friendship those two have as Clendening and Johns could be our #2 pair in 2 years.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Yeah, there's no reason to sign him right now. Let him have another great year at Vermont.

Someone could always be traded, but the Hawks currently have 14 dmen signed for next season. I'd be surprised if they sign any more.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Rockfords potential defense next year

Clendening Johns
Dahlbeck TvR
Fournier Brisebois
Svedberg

Pretty solid, 1 of Johns, Dahlbeck or TvR could be with the big club though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
awesome news as my favorite Hawks prospect is officially in the fold!! :handclap::handclap:

great job Stan-O for getting this deal done, we simply cannot lose him in any way, shape, or form.

I would love to see him play up with the Hawks for the final few games but I don't think we have the cap room to do so, but it is exciting seeing him and his buddy Clendening together in Rockford.

do not underestimate the friendship those two have as Clendening and Johns could be our #2 pair in 2 years.

Yeah that is never happening ,, Let alone in 2 years

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Very exciting news indeed. I had my doubts about his willingness to sign here. I'm glad Stan was able to get it done.

He's actually a lot bigger than I thought he was, 6-4 233 wow.

Ideally I'd like him to be the one replacing Oduya on the 2nd pairing. How is his skating?

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I think he probably still has a fair bit of work to do on his positional play and curbing his tendency to roam. That kind of thing won't get a guy as good as him benched in college, but is quickly exposed in the pro game. Looking forward to seeing him develop and hopefully he can become the physical force we could really use at the back.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah that is never happening ,, Let alone in 2 years

Thats an absurd statement. You don't think there is a chance both Johns and Clendening develop well enough to become a 2nd D pairing?

Clendening is tearing up the AHL. He outperformed Leddy when they were teammates in Rockford during the lockout. He's 21 and the #1 D of an AHL team.

Johns is HUGE. He skates suprisingly well and knocks people the eff out.

You see no scenario where these two could be a sweet thunder and lightning 2nd D pair? I think you're very very wrong.

Clendening is woefully underrated on this board.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Thats an absurd statement. You don't think there is a chance both Johns and Clendening develop well enough to become a 2nd D pairing?

Clendening is tearing up the AHL. He outperformed Leddy when they were teammates in Rockford during the lockout. He's 21 and the #1 D of an AHL team.

You see no scenario where these two could be a sweet thunder and lightning 2nd D pair? I think you're very very wrong.

Which of Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson do you see being let go so that Clendening+Johns is the second pairing? I am big on both Clendening and Johns, but I just don't see that happening.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

People really need to stop citing this as evidence for or against any argument. Leddy was in absolute cruise control while he was in Rockford during the lockout. Not saying that's a good thing or that he should have been but he was, and was far from playing his best hockey or even trying to do so at that time down there. He wasn't alone, as many of the NHL regulars were pretty "meh" while down there and I'm not just talking about Hawks players.

Not doubting Clendening or his ability to develop into the NHL'er you're saying he can be, but using this example to bolster your argument really holds little to no water.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Saw the gifs from Fenway, reminded me of this one:
1+Gaudreau.gif

I still think Johns has quite a bit of work to put in before he projects ahead of the bottom pair. I've read his skating is much better, but I've still seen quite a bit of vulnerability there. I'm guessing he'll need quite a few AHL games to get used to defending against faster and stronger skaters before he's ready to contribute on the big team. I'm hopeful regardless.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Which of Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson do you see being let go so that Clendening+Johns is the second pairing? I am big on both Clendening and Johns, but I just don't see that happening.

I'm rejecting the notion that Johns and Clendening can't be second pairing D men. Who knows what the lineup will actually look like by then, it's impossible to predict BUT it is obvious to me that both these guys are well on their way to being 2D caliber and maybe more.

Did you see on the Trade Rumors board where Toronto fans are inquiring about Seabrook? Offering a pretty decent package as well. Point is, you never know who might become expendable with the development of prospects.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Not sure why Clendening's point totals in the AHL are being used to say anything.

Brandon Pirri won the AHL scoring award last year and all that got him was a trip to Florida.

...Too soon?

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Saw the gifs from Fenway, reminded me of this one:
1+Gaudreau.gif

I still think Johns has quite a bit of work to put in before he projects ahead of the bottom pair. I've read his skating is much better, but I've still seen quite a bit of vulnerability there. I'm guessing he'll need quite a few AHL games to get used to defending against faster and stronger skaters before he's ready to contribute on the big team. I'm hopeful regardless.

Exactly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm rejecting the notion that Johns and Clendening can't be second pairing D men. Who knows what the lineup will actually look like by then, it's impossible to predict BUT it is obvious to me that both these guys are well on their way to being 2D caliber and maybe more.

Did you see on the Trade Rumors board where Toronto fans are inquiring about Seabrook? Offering a pretty decent package as well. Point is, you never know who might become expendable with the development of prospects.

I saw Leaf fans offering a bunch of scraps

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Not sure why Clendening's point totals in the AHL are being used to say anything.

Brandon Pirri won the AHL scoring award last year and all that got him was a trip to Florida.

...Too soon?

Would you prefer he have 0 PTs and instead of hav the second best +\- on the team, he be -35?

Dumb to not take his points into account.

Where do you all think #3-4d come from? Not everyone has a fully formed defensive game at 21. Including: Keith, Seabrook, Leddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad