Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad, McCann to PIT for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd ('19) & two 4th rounders (both '19)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here's the thing about that; I seem to remember there was a vague rumour a short while back that Brassard was wanted back in Columbus... Maybe that could be a way to get Panarin before the deadline, despite all logic saying they should keep their one offensive star for the playoff-run. Obviously, Florida would have to add to Brassard, maybe someone like Hepo, or maybe CBJ would want a depth D for the playoff-run like Kiselevich. Either way, that could be worth it, just to be able to keep the AAV quite a bit lower due to 8 vs 7 years.

No way Florida involves Hepo if they do swing a deal at the TDL.

Kiselevich sure. Maybe one of Vatrano and Malgin (my preference), though Columbus may push for Vatrano as he is better. Brassard yes, 100%

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Maybe it's the beer but I'm probably the only one who will miss Bjugs lol. Man how time flies, seems like he just was little baby Bjugs dangling around Daytsuk. Injuries really hurt his development but he was always a great team player. Rest in Pittsburgh, Bjugs.

HeavenlyUnfortunateIaerismetalmark-size_restricted.gif

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Panarin might wanna come here because his pal Dadonov is here. Yet Dadonov has 1 year left after this season and don't know if we'll have money to resign

23YearsandCounting

Oct 11, 2018
It’s Offical. Tallon forst draft as Panthers GM

3 first round picks

Gudbranson
Bjugstad
Howden

It’s safe to say that draft was a complete bust. Was suppose to jumpstart the rebuild. All it did was set them back even further and blindly lose Marchy because Tallon protects Bumstad.

I’m pumped. So happy he’s gone. Keep wheeling and dealing. Get that space. We need a Top Goalie and Top D. Let’s finish this rebuild for once.

Reactions: Laus723

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panarin might wanna come here because his pal Dadonov is here. Yet Dadonov has 1 year left after this season and don't know if we'll have money to resign

Pysyk, Reimer, possibly Lu, Brouwer, McGinn, Haley, Kiselevich, Jokinen's $1.3 million buyout gone......that's gotta be nearly $20 million. Cap should go up 5-7 million over the next 2-3 years. Yandle is gone in 4 years or less.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You get rid of one, or both of the current goalies+ Hoffman walks+ cap raise.

McGinn+ Jokinen off the books won't hurt either.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It will be hard to judge this trade until free agency. But at the very least this was the proper way to dump salary. You get picks instead of giving them. Calculators take note.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I’m not sure why this move is so confusing to so many people.

Tallon can’t be a seller, he needs a winner. But realistically he might have to be a seller.

This move laterally gives highly serviceable players who can help the Panthers make the playoffs at the same level that Bjugstad and McCann could. They came with picks. As rentals, they’re also capable of being flipped for more picks if this team falls from here.

Do not be surprised if one or both of these guys don’t finish the season as Panthers if this team is not in a position to make a run for a playoff spot by the deadline.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I really like it

Salary dump without hurting the team's depth.

And Brassard could get us a decent return at the trade deadline.

We'll see what happens next summer, but it looks like Tallon has a plan and knows what he is doing. With that being said...I don't think that he's gone at the end of the season anymore.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Maybe it's the beer but I'm probably the only one who will miss Bjugs lol. Man how time flies, seems like he just was little baby Bjugs dangling around Daytsuk. Injuries really hurt his development but he was always a great team player. Rest in Pittsburgh, Bjugs.

He was never as terrible as he was made out to be, but if it's to land Bread and Bob, sure.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Thats why its probably Hoffman that gets let go. But it might be worth it if Bread-Barky- Dads becomes a lethal line.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC

I liked him as well, he wasn't as bad as some here made him out to be and injuries really set him back a lot.

That being said, I feel like we all might be sleeping on the upside of never having to hear "Tricky Nick Bjugstad" ever again and reducing potential "Big Nick Bjugstad" to a handful of times a year.

Given that, on a scale of 1 to hoobie doobie doo, I rate this trade a solid 6.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Dunno how anyone can say this was a “high risk” trade, Bjugstad wasn’t working out here, he’s ridiculously soft, and he’s oft injured.

McCann would’ve been moved down to the 4th line with Borgstrom up and we have several players we can plug there.

Creates space to go after several players in FA, I LOVE this trade. Best of luck to the porcelain giant, don’t even care if he goes on to win the Conne Smythe (he won’t), I’ll never not love him being gone.

PavelLevap

Feb 2, 2019
Hey CBJ fan here.

Just did some reading, somethings i wanted to point out.

You have cap space and alot of it. Cool, great.

However, for starters all the other rumored panarin destinations also have cap space to sign him even his beloved chicago and rangers.

Just because you have the cap space doesnt mean you are toing to get him. It means you enter the conversation for a bidding war with 5 or 6 other teams.

However if you trade for him you go from say lets be generous and say a 30% chance to sign him as a FA to starting at 100% chance when you trade for him because youll already have him on the team, be able to woo him every day and gel with the team and all the other great stuff

Heres the downside

Trading for him is still going to cost a pretty penny. Im talking a FRP, and 2 of your top 4 prospects. They were rumored to have conversations with boston and they asked for Debrusk, their FRP and more.

Panarin will come in a trade with a price that hurts because they are content making the playoffs and seeing what happens and letting him walk if thats how it works out. They wont make a move just to make a move, thats how GMs get fired.

Second if you wait til july first and you want to be naiive enough to say yes the CBJ will trade him no matter what just to get something back, then whats to say they wont move him to say the rangers or blackhawks to respect his wishes and thet dont let him hit FA? Then florida made all these moves for nothing because with the roster as is, is struggling to compete for the playoffs.

So yes Florida fans, you will likely have to trade for Panarin and yes, it will be for something you dont want to give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad