Management Bill Guerin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This may all very well be true, but the thing is, in this scenario, you have to trust that Guerin can not only move one or some of these guys, which is the easy part, but you have to trust that he'll choose the right guys to move, which is the part I have zero faith in given his tendencies.

You mentioned moving Hartman, for example? That's quite literally the last guy from that list I would even consider moving.
This is the part I struggle with more with than the contracts themselves.

None of them are good contracts, but they're in line with what gets handed out on July 1st. UFA's just an ugly trough to feed from, and I don't think it's one that holds real solutions for us right now.

But eventually decisions about which contracts to push out the door and what to take back for them will have to be made. And yeah, the idea that Guerin will be driving that bus is... exciting in the wrong way? I guess? His trades haven't all been bad or anything.

I don't know. All of the above is stuff that can introduce drag, but none of it's propellant. The propellant is all in guys like Kaprizov, Eriksson-Ek, Faber, Boldy, Wallstedt, Yurov, Buium, etc. Hopefully Rossi, Ohgren, and someone like Heidt. If those guys aren't up to snuff then the bad contracts don't really mean much, so that's more where my eyes are for the next year.

Good GMs make problem contracts go away. We'll see if Guerin can do that (without taking on $15m worth of dead cap).

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As much as I dislike saying it. Brodin could put be on the gross list if misses another 20 games in a a season.

I think the shorter list would be the yummy? (opposite word of gross) contracts GMBG has on the roster.
Sure, if you like. The point is less about the specific names/numbers than what it all adds up to, though.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
As much as I dislike saying it. Brodin could put be on the gross list if misses another 20 games in a a season.

I think the shorter list would be the yummy? (opposite word of gross) contracts GMBG has on the roster.

There's no reason Brodin shouldn't be on that list. He'll be 32 at the start of the season and he can't stay healthy for full seasons and he's proven himself to be not as effective when it comes time for the playoffs.
I think Zeev is penciled in to be Brodin's natural replacement in 2 years. His NMC is gone after this season, and if Zeev is what we think/hope he is, there is no reason to not move Brodin and his $6M. Shouldn't be hard to move at the deadline in 2026, elite shutdown defenders should be valuable.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Honestly, anyone mad at Guerin should be mad at Leipold. He's the one that hired Guerin after Fenton and he's the one that sets the direction of the team.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Honestly, anyone mad at Guerin should be mad at Leipold. He's the one that hired Guerin after Fenton and he's the one that sets the direction of the team.
You can change GMs, you're stuck with owners.
Besides, at least the owner does allow the team to spend, which is an improvement over the previous.

I'll keep with the complaints against the GM and his poor lack of planning here.

Reactions: NHL1674

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
bazeek slight correction , trenin was 4 years. we must start subtracting players like mojo & freddy to make open roster spots for our prospects. why doesn't billy understand that concept? ps asap we must find a player or 2 kaprizov WANTS to play with, we can lose him which would make the buyout years meaningless!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
bazeek slight correction , trenin was 4 years. we must start subtracting players like mojo & freddy to make open roster spots for our prospects. why doesn't billy understand that concept? ps asap we must find a player or 2 kaprizov WANTS to play with, we can lose him which would make the buyout years meaningless!

Which FWD prospect is MarJo blocking? Ohgren and Marat K are already penciled into the NHL team for next season. I wouldn't count either of them as a sure thing. After that it would be maybe the guy they traded Beckman for, Milne, or Walker? Yurov already made his choice of staying in the KHL next season.

I want better than Freddy G and MarJo too, but they would be coming in as FAs. Not up though the prospect pool for this upcoming season.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ufa tarasenko? prospect riley heidt? another player who has a good camp? point is we haven't improved vs other western conf teams and we could get crushed this year making kaprizov less interested in staying. too many retreads, not enough young talent. (that inspires hope)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
ufa tarasenko? prospect riley heidt? another player who has a good camp? point is we haven't improved vs other western conf teams and we could get crushed this year making kaprizov less interested in staying. too many retreads, not enough young talent. (that inspires hope)

I'm not counting on small a CHL kid coming in and sticking it in the NHL at age 19 anymore than I am any of the kids that were in Iowa last year.

Tank just won his 2nd Cup, He's not coming to MN and hope he can just make it to the Playoffs here.

Signing this 1 UFA isn't what's going to cause MN getting crushed. It's the overall roster construction that is going to cause them to get crushed. No matter what FWD holes are filled it won't really matter until they get a 1C (JEE as much as I like him is a 2C).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That list was term remaining next summer. So it's a 4 year contract, but there will be 3 years left.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm not mad at the owner for hiring GMBG. I'm mad at the owner for keeping him this long.
That ship has sailed and everyone calling him to be fired was met with he has until the cap penalties from Suter/Parise were off and then maybe a year or two after before his seat got warm. Anyone with half a brain could see early on that Guerin was creating a country club and his GMing was not going to be any different than Fletcher.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if toughness was the team need why didn't we just keep reeves? instead we keep adding retreads. im very disappointed we didn't add tarasenko or more firepower. several teams in the west improved , this is gonna be a rough year. im paranoid kaprizov won't stay. billys plan billys fault.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m curious to see if the next two years don’t yield a playoff series win if Guerin gets another shot at hiring a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad