Bill Armstrong's Brilliant 2021 Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Bill Armstrong reminds me of someone like a Jerry DiPoto in baseball, where he makes all these savvy moves yet the team is either not close enough, or he really cannot make a team that'll make the playoffs. There's a lot of good here for the Arizona Ute's team, but at the same time I really want to see results. Then again, getting maximum value out of guys like Ghost or Dvorak or even Bjustad can always help out a rebuilding team. Its always interesting to see what moves ultimately benefitted the Coyotes, and what gave them their current roster. In retrospect, the Ladd deal is why they have Sergachev right now.

Reactions: Voight

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
By far the Blues' most valuable Armstrong in terms of winning a Cup, if he breaks through with Utah he will enjoy the pinnacle reputation

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I don't know, but there has to be some kind of asterisk in all of this for his best move being fleecing one Jim Benning. Taking advantage of the "disadvantaged" is usually frowned upon and not lauded in polite society.

ha ha

• Haha
Reactions: Puckrobber

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A lot of Debbie Downers here, "He hasn't accomplished anything yet"....he did an amazing job with the pile of crap he was given.

This reminds me of the Canes having a large stock of prospects thread. HE has a lot of shiny toys--whether or not they come to anything is another story.

Can you post the NHL stats of all the players he picked via these stats. NHL stats. Not AHL, NOT JR and NOT European stats. NHL stats

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It’s easy to sell, it’s easy to utilize cap space when you’re not competing. It’s hard to be competitive, stay competitive and prolong Stanley cup windows.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This reminds me of the Canes having a large stock of prospects thread. HE has a lot of shiny toys--whether or not they come to anything is another story.

Can you post the NHL stats of all the players he picked via these stats. NHL stats. Not AHL, NOT JR and NOT European stats. NHL stats

He's already added Cooley, Sergachev, Guenther, Marino, Durzi and McBain to the roster using those picks/prospects after only 4 years on the job.

Iginla, Simashev, But, Lamoureux, Beaudoin, Doan on the way, none of whom are longshot prospects and in any way equivalent to the high risk small skill players the Canes have been taking.

Not to mention about a dozen other prospects that have legit NHL potential.

Don't need to be a genius to recognize Armstrong's work is already paying dividends and will for many years to come.

Reactions: Heldig

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Honestly Utah 's future top 9 and future D could be scary.

Guenther-Cooley-Keller
But-Iginla-Maccelli
Crouse-Beaudoin-Doan

Sergachev-Durzi
Simashev-Marino
Valimaki-Lamoureux

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Honestly Utah's future top 9 and future D could be scary.

Guenther-Cooley-Keller
But-Iginla-Maccelli
Crouse-Beaudoin-Doan

Sergachev-Durzi
Simashev-Marino
Valimaki-Lamoureux

It's coming together quite nicely. Blows my mind people think it's too early to recognize that.

I'd also add Schmaltz, Hayton and McBain to the forward group. Don't see much of a reason for them to let go of those guys unless they are being replaced with upgrades.

Really deep roster in the making, just needs a bit of time.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's coming together quite nicely. Blows my mind people think it's too early to recognize that.

I'd also add Schmaltz, Hayton and McBain to the forward group. Don't see much of a reason for them to let go of those guys unless they are being replaced with upgrades.

Really deep roster in the making, just needs a bit of time.
Schmaltz may need to be let go just for cap space purposes, if all the players I listed develop as expected(pretty big if I guess), they may just not have room for him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's a huge offseason in 21............the guy should get some serious kudos.

Rebuilding is a tough go, and most GM's don't have a clue how to do it.............this guys will have his team in good shape in the next season or two.

One note, I think two of his trades saw goalies leave, and both won Cups..........kudos to the Avs and The Knights for getting it done. Those, are win win trades for both sides.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Army has done a great job that sets Utah up for success. I'm happy he's staying as they transition to Utah, because I know it's not his favourite place in the world. Utah might be a year or two out from the playoffs but they've got a great prospect pool with a diverse cast that will make Utah a force to be reckoned with. Look out for Utah.

Utah Utah Utah

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The guys job is unfinished with that being said he was in the only GM job in the league that would allow him this much time and he still has not turned the corner yet. Its only because of the incompetent owners mismanagement that he hasn't been fired yet.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Utah

Cleaning house and acquiring picks isn’t necessarily the hard part. It’s hitting on picks, developing and reassembling everything into a winner that’s the true challenge.

Exactly, that's why I dont get people putting him and Hughes in their top five. You can have all the draft picks and prospects in the world but it doesn't matter if they dont' develop into NHL players.

Reactions: joestevens29

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
The guys job is unfinished with that being said he was in the only GM job in the league that would allow him this much time and he still has not turned the corner yet. Its only because of the incompetent owners mismanagement that he hasn't been fired yet.

I disagree, his plan has always been building with huge amount of draft capital. That takes time, unless you want to build mediocre team.

I'm not saying that he has succeeded yet, but everyone knew that this would be a multiyear process

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
cleanhitshockey.com

He has been on the job coming on four years. What did you expect?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Honestly Utah 's future top 9 and future D could be scary.

Guenther-Cooley-Keller
But-Iginla-Maccelli
Crouse-Beaudoin-Doan

Sergachev-Durzi
Simashev-Marino
Valimaki-Lamoureux
Thats scary but how many WILL pan out? Thats the million dollar question

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think BA did exactly what he said he would do.. he was the joke of the league according to some when he started it but he is accomplishing what he said he would..

He built one of the best front office and scouting departments in the league to start and has been slowly building the team

The team is in year 4 of the rebuild and according to Bill is about 1/4 in.. expectations are to be better than the year before if that includes the playoffs then great..a great interview from today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad