Biggest Goaltending Bust of all time??

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I can't remember how hyped he was as a prospect, but check out Norm Maracle's awards :amazed:

Warwick Trophy (MVP - AMHL) (1991)
WHL East Second All-Star Team (1993)
WHL East First All-Star Team (1994)
WHL Goaltender of the Year (1994)
Canadian Major Junior First All-Star Team (1994)
Canadian Major Junior Goaltender of the Year (1994)
AHL Second All-Star Team (1997, 1998)
IHL First All-Star Team (2001)
James Norris Memorial Trophy (fewest goals against - IHL) (2001) (shared with Scott Fankhouser)
James Gatschene Memorial Trophy (MVP - IHL) (2001)
N.R. "Bud" Poile Trophy (Playoff MVP - IHL) (2001)

Mika Noronen was a pretty big bust as well.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Maxim Ouellet anyone?

I know he's stuck behind Marty but I had high hopes for Ari Ahonen as well, but at least he's still playing in the A

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Eric Fichaud came to my mind immediately. He was labelled as the next Felix Potvin when Toronto picked him in 1994. (Back when comparisons to Potvin were a compliment). While handicapping past draft classes in their 1995 Draft Preview, THN listed Fichaud as a five-star prospect. The hockey world howled with disbelief when Toronto traded Fichaud in 1995 for Benoit Hogue. Fichaud struggled with consistency and a bum shoulder, and never came close to the lofty standards set before him.

Trevor Kidd's an excellent choice in terms of an underachieving goalie. He had a true roller coaster career. He was brilliant in 1995 with the Flames and 1998 with the Hurricanes. He was labelled a Hart Trophy candidate in 1999-2000, until suffering a flukey shoulder injury during the Panthers skills competition. Never recovered after that. He was extremely quick with a great glove hand, but he was weak in the head, and a flake even by goalie standards.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Patrick DesRochers and Mathieu Chouinard were busts in 1998, not sure how highly touted they were though
DesRochers was really highly-touted in the 12-24 months prior to the 1998 Draft. His stock was very high. But he struggled in the 1997-98 season. He was essentially a risky upside pick. Everyone knew that someone would take a chance on him because of his considerable upside, but there were a lot of scouts who weren't going to go near him in the first round.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Fichaud, Maracle, Noronen come to mind, as does Blackburn, who was a bust way before his unfortunate injury IMO
Blackburn started something like 17 straight games in the 2002-03 season. He played 63 NHL games before his 20th birthday.

While he was shell-shocked following that marathon stretch in his sophomore year, it wasn't like people were writing him completely. Goalies who play 63 games before they turn 20 aren't busts. He'd be a star now if it weren't for the injury.

Reactions: yukoner88

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Evgeny Ryabchikov. Was considered Russia's goalie of the future...1st rd pick of Boston in '94. Ended up in the ECHL then the WPHL - is now out of hockey.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
A couple spring to mind:

Jim Craig: Miracle on Ice goalie. Signed with the Flames. Played four games. Went to Boston. Played part of a season. Spent a couple of seasons in the minors. That was it.

Jimmy Waite: Won a WJC with Canada, and was a huge part of it. Was a first round pick of the Blackhawks. Never spent a full season in the NHL.

Wetcoaster

1970 (the Gilbert Perrault draft) - Habs draft Ray Martyniuk of the Flin Flon Bombers # 5 over-all and he never plays one game in the NHL. 8 seasons in the minors.

In the same draft the Habs drafted another goalie, Cal Hammond at #45 and he never played an NHL game either.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
A couple spring to mind:

Jim Craig: Miracle on Ice goalie. Signed with the Flames. Played four games. Went to Boston. Played part of a season. Spent a couple of seasons in the minors. That was it.

Jimmy Waite: Won a WJC with Canada, and was a huge part of it. Was a first round pick of the Blackhawks. Never spent a full season in the NHL.

Yeah Jimmy Waite came to mind for me. Was going to be the Blackhawks goalie of the future, until Eddie Belfour came on the scene and totally out played him.

toastman344*

Pat Riggin was considered the best goalie in the OHL for a couple of years running...Didn't do much in the NHL

J0e Th0rnton*

How can you all forget Trevor Kidd. #1 overall, future franchise goaltender:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Pat Riggin was considered the best goalie in the OHL for a couple of years running...Didn't do much in the NHL

Hard to believe now, but he was a second team all-star in '84 when he was still young.

Anyways does anyone remember the name J-F Damphousse? He was a first rounder in '97, only he and Luongo were the only QMJHL players taken in the first round. If you dont remember him then I made my point. Maybe I havent done enough reseach but I dont know where he is now.

John Davidson as well was the 5th overall pick in the '73 draft. I know he wasnt a bust but at the time no other goalie had been drafted that high you'd think St. Louis had higher hopes for him. He had one decent year in '78-79 when he helped NYR to the Cup finals but only played 54 games the rest of his career in the 4 following seasons.

Skroob*

as does Blackburn, who was a bust way before his unfortunate injury IMO

I dont think there is any possible way you could be more wrong. how can you label a teenager who was already in the NHL and looking to be the starter, a bust???

Reactions: Kevinsane

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Goaltending busts are a bit harder to assess largely because there are so very few goaltending jobs at the professional level and it takes so long (like 5 or 6 years) before a goalie can possibly establish himself as a bona fide number one puck stopper.
Jim Carey aka Net Detective quickly established himself as a number one goalie in Washington and vanished almost as rapidly as he arrived on the scene. Would Carey qualify as a legit bust?

toastman344*

JT:
How can you all forget Trevor Kidd. #1 overall, future franchise goaltender

Trevor KIDD..was one of the KIDS...Who DID...Immediately spring to Mind...BUT...He'd Already Been Mentioned ...

Kindly, Stick With The Program :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How can you all forget Trevor Kidd. #1 overall, future franchise goaltender:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

He wasn't drafted 1st overall. He was 11th overall but the first goalie taken in his draft. Martin Brodeur was the next goalie drafted.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad