Post-Game Talk: Big Oil warming up, Penguins lose habitat

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well yeah when your PK and PP is that crap, they can get away with that. If they want to let us hold them to 8 shots for two periods in a playoff round once our PK and PP shapes, I'll take that every day of the week.

We carried the play in that game and deserved a better result, it happens, doesn't phase me nor do I think at this point does it phase the team. They were lucky to win that game.
A few things. The Oilers are lucky their schedule thus far has been weak and nearly all the games played at home. Schedule gets more difficult and a lot more road games coming up. We need some of the several ghosts on this club to do anything. Did anybody even notice Perry, Brown, Henrique or anybody in bottomsix tonight? We were playing an ass hurting club and somehow only one of our lines got on track. Connor Brown was friggen Horrible. Sinking to yet another disappearing act. We need everybody going. More than half the club just looks disengaged and not bearing down on scoring chances.

Let it be said Drai broke the funk tonight on a brilliant rush and shot. A shot can't be better than how he drilled that one with laser precision. That goal was huge.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Penguins looks awful. Did they even try today ? Such an unacceptable level of effort. Yikes. Otherwise good game. Need to play at this level against a good team.

They look Dubas’d. Picking on little Arvidsson aside, that pens team sure lets up on a lot of hits. Looks like a team cool to just ride out the last years of Crosby and Malkin.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CantHaveTkachev

Cap Space > NHL players
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I was at the game and didn't stay for the ceremony. This might be an unpopular opinion (especially around here where the average age is higher) but I think the amount of people who care about the 80s Oilers is decreasing as time goes on. I'm a 90s kid myself and never saw a single second of it. What I did see was countless ceremonies celebrating these guys while I suffered for a decade watching the terrible hockey teams that they built. Nothing against MacT and Gregg personally but it just feels overdone at this point. It's cool that the 80s dynasty happened but I just don't really care anymore.

If they were honouring Hemsky or Horcoff I would've stayed though ;).
oh same here...my favorite player growing up was Dougie Weight, with Cujo a close 2nd

Reactions: K1984

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not gonna lie Podz was a player tonight, he was in every play and if Drai wasn't trying to get Arvy going, it might have been better feeding Podkolzin, almost felt bad for him given how hard he was working.

I think there is a player there, but it will take some time and some nurturing to develop his game a little, the Oilers generally are too impatient with players like that. Good on the forecheck, good speed, hits, not bad decision making when he does have the puck, I think he just needs to see the puck go in a couple of times and his confidence will rise.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A few things. The Oilers are lucky their schedule thus far has been weak and nearly all the games played at home. Schedule gets more difficult and a lot more road games coming up. We need some of the several ghosts on this club to do anything. Did anybody even notice Perry, Brown, Henrique or anybody in bottomsix tonight? We were playing an ass hurting club and somehow only one of our lines got on track. Connor Brown was friggen Horrible. Sinking to yet another disappearing act. We need everybody going. More than half the club just looks disengaged and not bearing down on scoring chances.

Let it be said Drai broke the funk tonight on a brilliant rush and shot. A shot can't be better than how he drilled that one with laser precision. That goal was huge.

Half the teams in the league are "weak" even if I don't buy that line of logic to begin with (again any team can beat you in this league on any given night, nor is there any team with talent way beyond what the Oilers have on the other end of the spectrum, so there's no reason to give anyone too much respect either).

We often play worse at home for stretches, so like this team is not really one of those "we must play at home to get going!!" squads anyway. A good road trip often brings this team together better than a home stand.

You need to chill out dude. Do you really think every team's bottom 6 as a whole is good every night? Like that's just an absurd expectation. Bottom six players are bottom six players because they're not world beaters to begin with.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Another thing that these stale Oilers fans are forgetting is Nurse dropping his gloves at the faceoff. It was a dirty hit and it should have been a penalty but Nurse did his job.

Nurse is legit, not 9 and quarter legit but fans have been too hard on him. Especially, given the revolving door of bottom pairing dman he's been given to play against elites.

Good on him for taking that fight and stepping up for a teammate, if anything it galvanizes the group and let's everybody know they're in it together.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was good. Nothing spectacular against that f***ing sad sack squad.
Yep. The Pens are so bad team should be relegated. SOG 34-5 any game, instant relegation, you don't even belong. haha. Said earlier single worst opponent performance I've ever seen. From top to bottom Pens were horrible except their goalie who started getting beat through dodging shrapnel on the front line bunkers before he finally bought it. Pens do this to a young goalie trying to find their way.

Next time people complain about McDrai leadership maybe take a look at what the Pens have been doing the last several seasons.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Half the teams in the league are "weak" even if I don't buy that line of logic to begin with (again any team can beat you in this league on any given night, nor is there any team with talent way beyond what the Oilers have on the other end of the spectrum, so there's no reason to give anyone too much respect either).

We often play worse at home for stretches, so like this team is not really one of those "we must play at home to get going!!" squads anyway. A good road trip often brings this team together better than a home stand.

You need to chill out dude. Do you really think every team's bottom 6 as a whole is good every night? Like that's just an absurd expectation. Bottom six players are bottom six players because they're not world beaters to begin with.
Being outshot 34-5 is pretty weak. lol. That was legendary bad. What opponent has ever been worse in the cap era?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Nurse is legit, not 9 and quarter legit but fans have been too hard on him. Especially, given the revolving door of bottom pairing dman he's been given to play against elites.

Good on him for taking that fight and stepping up for a teammate, if anything it galvanizes the group and let's everybody know they're in it together.
Hell yeah Walk, at least he showed up and did something. That's his 3rd fight already this year. Haha. I don't think he had a single fight last year

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Being outshot 34-5 is pretty weak. lol. That was legendary bad. What opponent has ever been worse in the cap era?

We outshoot almost every opponent we've played this year, it's something we do fairly regularly under Knoblaugh.

We were outshooting Dallas like 22-8 or something at one point in that game.

That's just a sign that our D system at least 5 on 5 is kicking back into gear.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah … sure … the guy who put up 42 goals and 94 points last season needs to retire. :rolleyes: Why do you insist on making such over the top declarations on players?
Crosby was good last year. This tonight was an awful performance and not at all isolated. Anytime the mighty Pens go up against McDrai they get annihilated. Usually senior players have a bit more pride than that.

AGain it was the single worst opponent performance I've ever witnessed. Name one game in cap era where we were outshooting a club 34-5. No pride left in that Pens room. Karlson has this torpedo effect on any team hes' involved with. The Pens looked drunk in the first half of the game. They look uncoached or not listening at this point. I stopped counting at around a dozen own zone turnovers in first period.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Flightless bird on the menu. Just the low carb opponent needed.

Oil tilted the ice, got the breaks, and played a pretty good details game. Forward own zone support was solid with netfront support and Skinner made some big saves to mitigate breakdowns. Line 2 ran the show - Draisaitl sniper hands, Arvy showing great touch and rewarded, and Podkolzen played fast and engaged in battle areas.

Nurse solid again tonight. Most of this season he's been good. Sneaky good game by Emberson with some confident play with the puck and o-zone drive with the puck. Top pair breakthrough with scoring. Time to build on this.

Morpheus

I am bot
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Bot’s Motel
Just watched the game on PVR.

That was fun. I’m sure the crowd enjoyed it.
I was lucky to see Mario’s last game in Edmonton. Had a hott date too…didn’t score.
:ha:
But the hockey game was great…

IMG_5493.jpeg

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Ok what type of scary are we talking?

Like in the theatre are we talking final destination, nightmare on elm street or paranormal activity scary? Those are 3 different types of scary.

i guess nightmare on elm street. kind of a supernatural entity that you ant really fight against.

Have you seen Terrifier 3? That movie is scary. They do a POV of a tortured guys genitalia being ripped off by a chainsaw

not yet but heard good things.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers need to circle back to a 3rd goalie option at some point later in the yeah, maybe this Bloomqvist guy wouldn't be bad. Though we have a tendancy to make 3rd stringers look like world beaters by being too cute.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Good on Nurse for dropping the gloves multiple times now this season. He’s definitely not a 9.25 mil dman, but he can get back to his roots and be tough as nails. He’s not the PP QB and never will be, just be Darnell Nurse. Punish the opposition.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
AGain it was the single worst opponent performance I've ever witnessed
At your age I’m sure that can’t possibly be true either. More hyperbole. The Pens were bad tonight, for sure. Nobody would argue that. But it’s a long step from there to ‘Sid needs to retire’. We can show a little respect to one of the best Canadian players of the last twenty years. Right? He had a bad night. It happens.

Also take exception to your comment above about Perry. He had several excellent shifts tonight. Could have easily had a couple points. And a nice screen on the Ekholm goal. Connor Brown? Yeah, I’ll reluctantly agree with you there. He was bad tonight and has been poor for several games in a row now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad