Proposal: Big Buff for #1 LD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Although he is my favourite Jet we have too many quality RD compared to LD. Trouba has had issues but management seems ok on keeping him so he could move up to #1 RD. Myers would not fetch a #1 LD and can play the role of #2 RD.
Big Buff is unique but I would consider trading him only if we got a top self #1 LD in return. Quality for quality. One for one. If the player is not Buff's equal don't bother.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I'm sure Byfuglien would be very happy to waive the NMC of his contract, a contract that took effect just a month and a half ago.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Oh god I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Reasons not to do it:

1) We lose a major fan favorite
2) We lose everything that player brings to the table
3) We leave a major question mark with Myers coming back from surgery.
4) We look like a Micky Mouse organization by trading a player we just signed who genuinely loves being here.
5) We lose BIG Buff
6) See 5.

Point 4 is one of the biggest ones though. You will always have people saying "players don't want to play in Winnipeg!" We will never ever break that stigma. How do you combat it? By having an extremely professional ownership and front office. Players will want to play for well run organizations. If you break that, you just add even more fuel to that stigma.

Oh and final point, WE WOULD LOSE BUFF!!! He does thangs. Who will do thangs if he doesn't? No one! That's who.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
I don't see how this is logical in any way. He's by far our best defenseman and the Jets would be better suited to trade Myers/Trouba for a comparable LHD.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Never. If a trade HAS to be made, it's Myers who can go. Trouba and Buff? They're staying.

GoJetsGo55 said everything that has to be said.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

Reasons not to do it:

4) We look like a Micky Mouse organization by trading a player we just signed who genuinely loves being here.
5) We lose BIG Buff
6) See 5.

Point 4 is one of the biggest ones though. You will always have people saying "players don't want to play in Winnipeg!" We will never ever break that stigma. How do you combat it? By having an extremely professional ownership and front office. Players will want to play for well run organizations. If you break that, you just add even more fuel to that stigma.

Oh and final point, WE WOULD LOSE BUFF!!! He does thangs. Who will do thangs if he doesn't? No one! That's who.

Bang on. The organization would look ridiculous.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
What the? Trade Buff? What?

giphy.gif

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Reasons not to do it:

5) We lose BIG Buff
6) See 5.

Luckily your GM isnt bergevin because remove the #3 and and change buffs name to subban and this is exacly montreal!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
See above...

No. We'd look even worse.

So, SO many people around here don't seem to understand how in reality, hockey players are just the same people as we all are. They just happen to be good at this sport we love to watch. They have their own preferences just like us.

Dustin Byfuglien is known to love what Winnipeg can bring: he reportedly loves fishing and hunting, which he can do in Winnipeg. He also has two kids, one of which was born in last October, only a couple of months before Buff signed his contract extension. The fans use numbers to evaluate whether or not the player should remain with the team or move on. The players think differently. For a father of two who loves the place where he lives in, the numbers might not be worth anything.

There are different types of people in the NHL, that goes without saying. Some of them are looking for the biggest amount of money possible, the others look for security, success or even just a nice place to live in. But as we all know, if someone prefers one thing over the other AND has an option to choose, that preference will most likely be the decider. Buff wanted to stay in Winnipeg, and chose to re-sign with a team which plays in the city he loves, in exchange for money and security. That's something Winnipeg should and will respect, especially considering that Winnipeg is not one of those cities where every player fancies to live in. Scheifele is another example: he was the one who pushed for an eight-year deal. In my opinion, they might have not been untouchables before their extensions, but now they definitely are. They showed loyalty towards the team. That's something we absolutely can not reward with a trade, even if it technically improved the team.

Treating the players as well as the club possibly can is a part of building a successful hockey team. If neglected, the results can be catastrophical.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No one that would want Buff (a contender) would trade a top LD for him. It would almost certainly need to be a package involving picks and prospects, and I have zero interest in that at this point in time.

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
As a neutral fan, I think it'll be bad to trade buff right now. How many equal or better LHDs are available right now?

Keep buff and trade Myers for picks.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As a neutral fan, I think it'll be bad to trade buff right now. How many equal or better LHDs are available right now?

Keep buff and trade Myers for picks.

Would rather trade Myers for a LD of comparable skill. Maybe if Morrissey becomes better and is uninjured when we need a call up, he can facilitate a deal for Myers to be traded.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
As an outsider, I'd keep Buff if I was the Jets, he's their best player right now.
What I would consider is trading Myers along with one of their prospects for a top LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad