Online Series: Beverly Hill cop 4(and yes this is the 4th attempt to make it)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is Murphy not pretty much done? Dolemite is my Name is the only thing he has done in the last decade I can think of that was good.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Is Murphy not pretty much done? Dolemite is my Name is the only thing he has done in the last decade I can think of that was good.

Haha! You've been watching Eddie Murphy movies made in the last decade!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Haha! You've been watching Eddie Murphy movies made in the last decade!
Not so much, looking at the list of movies that he has made over the last 10 years and the only one I have watched from start to finish is Coming 2 America. I started A Thousand Words but got bored. I did watch Tower Heist which was meh. A lot of the others I have never seen, heck looking at IMDB I didn't even know there had been a Beverly Hills Cop tv movie he seems to have cameoed in and he came up with the idea of what was supposed to be a show about Axel Foley's son leaving Detroit to get out from under his father's shadow.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Probably will be another awful sequel decades in que.

It's nice to see they brought back so many characters though.

A movie likely to watch once and forget. Though maybe somehow this won't suck like so many other throwback/nostalgia sequels

Reactions: Osprey

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
They had to get Judge Reinhold (Rosewood) for this one too? I've always thought he's crap (as a comedian at least).

The first one was very good, the rest suck. I'm not holding my breath that this will change the course.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I wish they updated his look a little bit.
Hard to imagine a 60 something year old wearing a letterman jacket, and talking like he's in his 20s-30s

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Really dont like the trend we've seen in the last decade of people constantly remaking old movies. If they ere a classic then, there is zero need to re-do it. Think of some new ideas for once.

Jocke1

VII
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2022
Spoiler warning - screenshot of a strange moment:

It's pretty decent so far, I haven't finished it yet but woah was I surprised when a dude broke the fourth wall and started staring right at me.
How did they leave that in there? Weird.

foley1.jpg

foley2.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, knock me over with a feather. I actually enjoyed it. I was one of the most pessimistic people towards it, too, no doubt partly thanks to being utterly disappointed by Coming 2 America. The really low expectations probably helped, though, because it exceeded them and was more fun than I was expecting. I just posted in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, if you care to read my full review.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Really dont like the trend we've seen in the last decade of people constantly remaking old movies. If they ere a classic then, there is zero need to re-do it. Think of some new ideas for once.
This one is a sequel and not a remake but I get what you're saying. Hollywood has a legit problem the last decade either rebooting or relying on nostalgia with these legacy sequels deconstructing the main character and putting a younger version/child showing them up.

It's not me who is saying this, look at the box office returns and bombs this summer so far.

Judge Reinhold on the Rich Eisen Show said they were going to redo the banana in the tailpipe skit for this movie until Murphy vetoed it. Axel's daughter is going to play a central role in this film which will probably go the usual "whip smart/put him in his place" route.

I'm going to see it this week, I just hope they got Ronnie Cox for a cameo or something. He was such as a big part of what made the first two movies work.

Reactions: Voight

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
This one is a sequel and not a remake but I get what you're saying. Hollywood has a legit problem the last decade either rebooting or relying on nostalgia with these legacy sequels deconstructing the main character and putting a younger version/child showing them up.

It's not me who is saying this, look at the box office returns and bombs this summer so far.

Judge Reinhold on the Rich Eisen Show said they were going to redo the banana in the tailpipe skit for this movie until Murphy vetoed it. Axel's daughter is going to play a central role in this film which will probably go the usual "whip smart/put him in his place" route.

I'm going to see it this week, I just hope they got Ronnie Cox for a cameo or something. He was such as a big part of what made the first two movies work.
I just wanted to point out that there have been complaints about remakes for ages:. Here is an article from 1994 about them:

Maybe the scope or scale is worse now, but the underlying problem itself isn't.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I just wanted to point out that there have been complaints about remakes for ages:. Here is an article from 1994 about them:

Maybe the scope or scale is worse now, but the underlying problem itself isn't.
The difference is in those days remakes were a part of the equation not the main event, there was original content being released on a regular basis, movie franchises were generally active without thirty-forty year gaps, and you had the B-tier studios like Orion, Lionsgate, New Line, etc. that kept Hollywood in line to stay original and creative.

Nowadays the "model" is to bring back these legacy characters, put them in the same situations they were already in, call out memorable moments, and have a daughter/son or someone similar deconstruct and call them out. We've seen it with Luke Skywalker, Jean-Luc Picard, Indiana Jones, and I'm sure there's some of it with Axel Foley.

It's boring and predictable. Not every legacy character needs to be brought back or be made to be this outdated miserable talked down to past their prime shell of their former selves. You know what would be a good idea? Have one of these characters just be living a normal life and called back into duty. They can be "rusty" but not miserable. They sort of did that with Captain Riker in Picard until they went full Fan Service.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It was enjoyable, but predictable and a bit tedious in the second and third acts. Just makes me want to watch the original now - which is a good thing.

The novelty of the first two was also a big selling point, and that's worn off. The films were equal parts buddy cop movie and showcase for Eddie Murphy's talents, with his accents, ability to step into new characters instantly, and swapping between drama and comedy. It's nice to see he still has it, but it's not eclipsing the hill he climbed in the 90s with Nutty Professor

Give it a watch though. Some fun hockey scenes in the first 10 minutes too

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
a few good scenes. IT was strange seeing Don Simpson's name in the credits again. He passed away in 96 but like with Top Gun he produced the original one with Bruckheimer and his name will be on anything that gets done with the property they did together. I went back and watched 1 and 2 after watching this one and was reminded that you need to turn off your brain and enjoy the ride you are on. I think the plot line as to why Taggert and Rosewood were not in touch was a little far fetch. But we knew who the bad guys was the moment he came on the screen

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Fortunately, this sequel doesn't deconstruct the hero or have the new, younger characters show him up. It was refreshing to mostly have Axel as we remember him, just older, and for his age to rarely ever come up or be apparent.

Unfortunately, Ronny Cox isn't in it. It may have to do with the fact that he's 85 and it would've been hard to shoehorn him in for cameo. I, personally, don't see it as a big loss, since I think that the trio of Axel, Taggart and Rosewood is what made the first two movies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad