Better Peak Goal Scorer: Mike Bossy Or Alex Ovechkin?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player was the better peak goal scorer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
As great as Bossy was, I think this has to be Ovi. The 65 goal season is one for the ages.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Ovechkin AINEC, would have scored 100 per year on those Islander teams

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'll take Bossy's peak of three consecutive 17-goal playoff seasons while Ovechin scored more than five goals twice in his career.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'll take Bossy's peak of three consecutive 17-goal playoff seasons while Ovechin scored more than five goals twice in his career.
Honestly, this is why I voted Bossy. Ovechkin has had better sustainability, and to me, is the best goal scorer ever. But Mike Bossy for a few years could score at will. That really came out come playoff time.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Can the OP define what they mean by "peak".

Which player exhibited better goal scoring ability when he was at his highest level as a goal scorer?

There is no standard definition for peak. Some will consider best season; others will consider best two or multiple. Some will factor in playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ovechkin - but it's close.

Ovechkin's peak as a goal-scorer gets overrated sometimes. It's not that he wasn't great - but I don't think he's in contention for #1 for goal-scoring peak. I think that's Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull (both of them). Ovechkin's strength is more his prime (Bossy too for that matter).

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You'd have to be a complete Ovechkin hater to think this was remotely close. Surprise! It's a couple Crosby fans saying this is close.

There is nothing that supports Bossy in this comparison. He is nowhere near the best of his era in terms of peak goalscoring, and it's not just Gretzky and Lemieux that trounce him but also Brett Hull. Mike Bossy had the 45th best adjusted goal scoring season of all time as of 2020 (now 49th). Ovechkin has the #2 season. Nevemind that Ovie was playing on a recent lottery team in 2008 while Bossy was supported by a dynasty.

1724868139638.png

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You'd have to be a complete Ovechkin hater to think this was remotely close. Surprise! It's a couple Crosby fans saying this is close.

There is nothing that supports Bossy in this comparison. He is nowhere near the best of his era in terms of peak goalscoring, and it's not just Gretzky and Lemieux that trounce him but also Brett Hull. Mike Bossy had the 45th best adjusted goal scoring season of all time as of 2020 (now 49th). Ovechkin has the #2 season. Nevemind that Ovie was playing on a recent lottery team in 2008 while Bossy was supported by a dynasty.

View attachment 903675

And you'd have to be a complete Ovechkin fanatic to ignore playoffs and what happens beyond round 2 completely - and only focus on regular season.

3 straight years of leading playoffs in goals - scoring 17 goals each playoffs.

Ovechkin's highest playoff goal total is 15, 11....and then never above 5.

3 year stretch of 81 to 83:

1. Bossy 51 goals
2. Trottier 25 goals
3. Gretzky 24 goals

GPG in that stretch - Bossy .91, Gretzky 0.8

That's huge domination

To give you an idea of how impressive his goals per game rate is in that 3 year stretch - 0.91 goals per game is higher than Bossy ever achieved in any regular season. So for a 3 year playoff peak, he scored way above his regular season best.

Yes - it's close, because playoffs matter too.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Bossy led the league in Goals 2X. In his 10 year career he had 30 more goals than Gretzky, but he played 120 more games. Ovechkin is unrivaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad