Best prospect pool in the NHL (DET vs LA vs NYR vs OTT)

Which team has the best prospect pool in hockey?

• Detroit Red Wings

• LA Kings

• New York Rangers

• Ottawa Senators

Results are only viewable after voting.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's either you have no idea what you're talking about or simply that you have no idea what the word "weak" means.

I guess you would say that the SHL is WEAK compared to the NHL? Of course every league is "weak" compared to the NHL. Personally, I find the use of this word not helpful at all in this context but to each their own.

Quality of the Norwegian league has been improving. Like I said, it's not the same tier as euro top leagues but it's not "weak" either.

League Ranking – 2112HockeyAgency.com

A look at the pro hockey leagues of Europe, and how they stack up.

The leagues of Europe and their relative competitiveness: The 2018 rankings

But of course, nobody knows what they're talking about but Joe Dirte and Pavel's dog know. Classic HF

That's real nice, but when a league is looking to the ECHL, as per it's description, for players, you're not looking at a breeding ground for elite players.

In fact, I could be wrong, but I think in the last 20 years it's turned out exactly one NHLer, which is Mats Zuccharello.

So, when we're talking about strength of leagues, in terms of scouting NHL talent, I'm going to stand by them being a "weak" league.....

EDIT - WAIT, I found two more!!! Patrick Thoersen, and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. opinion not changed.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's real nice, but when a league is looking to the ECHL, as per it's description, for players, you're not looking at a breeding ground for elite players.

In fact, I could be wrong, but I think in the last 20 years it's turned out exactly one NHLer, which is Mats Zuccharello.

So, when we're talking about strength of leagues, in terms of scouting NHL talent, I'm going to stand by them being a "weak" league.....

EDIT - WAIT, I found two more!!! Patrick Thoersen, and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. opinion not changed.

Well, the problem you might have is it wasn't the argument at all. I was NOT comparing Norway's league with the NHL in any way, shape or form. Of course it's a very weak league compared to the NHL but I would say the same thing with pretty much every hockey league on the planet (not very but just weak for some leagues). After the KHL/SHL/Liiga/NLA/DEL, Norway is pretty much in the tier below. It's not 2 or 3 tiers below, it's not a "weak league"

Is your opinion based on.... alumnis? Personally, I think opinions have to be searched and thought out more than just the surface. The amount of crap there is on the internet is crazy. It's practically a garbage bin for lazy minds. Sometimes I randomly read movie reviews and I'm astonished at how superficial and unthoughtful some people are. I remember reading a low rating justification for the movie "Jaws" was because the special effects were not very good... I mean... lol

I suggest you should make some research and try to understand the context before making claims/accusations like you did in post #274.

Context is simple : there hasn't been any PRO hockey in North America since March (outside of bubble playoffs, which the Sens were NOT a part of). Rudolf Balcers went to play in Norway because of his familiarity with that league (played there until he was 18). He probably could have played in the SHL/Liiga/etc but that's not what he chose. He didn't go there for development, just to stay in shape and reconnect with people from his past.

I just said I was worried that his 2019 injury (that made him miss his opportunity to fully graduate) and all that time inactive would set him back. I only said his performance in Norway Eliteserien was a good sign. That's when Pavel made the comment that "it's a really weak league", which I found very hyperblic regarding the context. Simple as that. I was not saying "hey Balcers is dominating Norway's league, he will be a star in the NHL!"

Reading comprehension and thought process is very useful in argumentation.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Well, the problem you might have is it wasn't the argument at all. I was NOT comparing Norway's league with the NHL in any way, shape or form. Of course it's a very weak league compared to the NHL but I would say the same thing with pretty much every hockey league on the planet (not very but just weak for some leagues). After the KHL/SHL/Liiga/NLA/DEL, Norway is pretty much in the tier below. It's not 2 or 3 tiers below, it's not a "weak league"

Is your opinion based on.... alumnis? Personally, I think opinions have to be searched and thought out more than just the surface. The amount of crap there is on the internet is crazy. It's practically a garbage bin for lazy minds. Sometimes I randomly read movie reviews and I'm astonished at how superficial and unthoughtful some people are. I remember reading a low rating justification for the movie "Jaws" was because the special effects were not very good... I mean... lol

I suggest you should make some research and try to understand the context before making claims/accusations like you did in post #274.

Context is simple : there hasn't been any PRO hockey in North America since March (outside of bubble playoffs, which the Sens were NOT a part of). Rudolf Balcers went to play in Norway because of his familiarity with that league (played there until he was 18). He probably could have played in the SHL/Liiga/etc but that's not what he chose. He didn't go there for development, just to stay in shape and reconnect with people from his past.

I just said I was worried that his 2019 injury (that made him miss his opportunity to fully graduate) and all that time inactive would set him back. I only said his performance in Norway Eliteserien was a good sign. That's when Pavel made the comment that "it's a really weak league", which I found very hyperblic regarding the context. Simple as that. I was not saying "hey Balcers is dominating Norway's league, he will be a star in the NHL!"

Reading comprehension and thought process is very useful in argumentation.
Well first of all, all of those leagues are not in the same tier. Liiga and the swiss league are definitely a step down from the SHL and KHL.

And yeah its a tier below them, for sure.

Yes, if youre looking at prospects and their chances of success, and referencing their success in the norwegian league, its fair to point out that even the most successful of players from that league (with one single exception in history) have not gone on to successful NHL careers.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Look, you can't just dismiss any source that disagrees with your notion. Wheeler's list on The Athletic was AWFUL but I'm not going to dismiss that opinion entirely if you want to use it as argument, considering that Brännström was ranked 28th on that list. Of course you then also have to consider that Sanderson was ranked 49th, as the Sens 5th best prospect..

Pronman's mid-season rankings last season had Veleno at #39, just behind Brown (35) and ahead of Pinto (54). Brännström wasn't eligible and Norris was way ahead.

With the point being; rankings vary wildly all over the place. Even from so-called "professionals" who get paid to rank these kids.

It's not that I entirely dismiss it but I find this particular ranking not very good, but like you say it's opinions in the end. I could say it's good because there is 7 Sens prospects in a top-100 list but no, it's just ONE opinion that has some players ranked in weird spots.

Or that other opinion having Sanderson 49th/5th for the Sens, hard for me to take it very seriously. 3 games into his NCAA career, Jake looks absolutely fantastic. We voted him #2 on the Sens board. I mean, we're just random fans but there is a lot of knowledgable posters on the Sens board (probably like on every board) and it gives you some kind of concensus so I'd prefer to rely on it rather than this or that random list from just one person.

Also, pretty normal that Veleno was ranked higher in the past because of his initital pedigree that started in the Q in 2015 (may I remind you I live here, I have followed his career all the way, saw him play in the Q many times)

Joseph Veleno didn't deserve exceptional status

I agree in general, hard to find a concensus for a prospects ranking. I wish there was a source doing something like that :

We looked at 12 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

They "combine 12 of the most respected draft rankings and used the average" to make their own ranking. Only for pre-draft though

You often get the answer you are looking for if you ask a question the right way. Should I ask if Raymond/Zadina/Veleno are close to Norris/Brännström?
Brown is clearly the weakest prospect of that Sens trio and the one most easily compared to Veleno/Ras. If one is in a tier with Norris/EB, all 3 are..

ok but I was not the one building that "trio", you first suggested that Veleno/Rasmussen were in the same tier as Norris/Brannstrom /Brown...

Reality of how Sens probably see it (based on the way the polls went, new information/performances since, comments, etc)

Stuetzle
Sanderson
Batherson/Norris/Brannstrom
Formenton/Pinto/JBD/Brown
Jarventie/Greig/Kleven
Balcers/Abramov/Daccord
Etc.

Brown/Jarventie/Greig/Kleven then yeah, I could see Veleno/Rasmussen close to that tier, but Batherson/Norris/Brannstrom? Not really close.

I think that's a solid target for Veleno but I see him having more upside. Tierney was a ~20 point player his first few seasons, I think Veleno has potential to do a little better a little faster. After that? Who knows? He needs to keep developing but he has all the tools to become a 2nd line center, ~50-60 points. I watch him most games in SHL and see nothing that is cause for grave concern.

IMO you need some high end skill to score 60 pts in the NHL (unless it's contextual like playing with Crosby for example). As a Center, Veleno will most likely have to be the play driver. I don't see his offensive ability suggesting he can do that at the NHL level. That's why I think he'll be better as the 3rd line Center.

But ok good, we'll see eventually. you just needed to answer that so we can probably end that part of the conversation

His d+1 was fantastic too and he has been ranked high on many prospect lists, even as recently as during his admittedly disappointing first AHL season.
However for a guy adjusting to pro hockey he hasn't been as bad as you imply. His first 10-12 games were ROUGH, then he played at around 0.5PPG which is solid and was a key player for Canada at WJC.
He's also been pretty good overall in SHL but you are ignoring the context that he's on the worst team in that league (which you gladly compare with numbers for players on the best and highest scoring AHL team).

His D+1 was fantastic? ok but you know he turned 19 y/o in January that season? There's plenty of players who did that or close at that age (like Abramov while being younger)

Or Francis Perron? 108 pts in 62 games as a 19 y/o (was 9 little months older than Veleno), plus 33 pts in 18 playoffs game. Plenty more examples.

And I don't think you understand what I have been saying! Where did I say Veleno was bad or where am I ignoring anything? I just don't see ANYTHING that suggests he will be better than Chris Tierney (for example) or that he is in the SAME TIER as a prospect NOW (not last year) as Norris/Brannstom/Brown. There's actually a bigger gap between these and Veleno with Balcers and Abramov who despite being older and later round picks, are more proven in the pros.

Like I said, exceptional status, name recognition, draft position, etc it doesn't last forever. As I said above, pretty normal that he was initially higher on prospects list.

Note : When you say "highest scoring AHL team", you understand that it's totally the doing of a few pure rookies and sophomores (aka 20-21 y/o)? Like bert and I have demonstrated?

Top prospect is always hugely influential. Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle weigh heavier than Raymond.

When the poll was made, we also hadn't seen Berggren break out like he has, Seider dominating SHL and Albert Johansson outperforming much higher rated D like Björnfot and Broberg. I'm not saying those things should catapult Wings ahead of other teams, but I would disagree with their being a massive difference if you look beyond the #1 prospect.

Pronman had Sens system at 12 and Wings at 13 about a year ago. Wheeler had Sens at 7 and Wings at 9 in the spring. Even accounting for the Sens adding more at the draft than Wings, comparing the two pools is not crazy.

I didn't say it was "crazy", but as the results in the current poll clearly show, the Red Wings pool is in a tier under the Kings/Sens/Rangers pools. However I agree with the point about the top prospects. I think Rangers have received a lot of votes because of Lafreniere/Shesterkin (who also turns 25 in 2 weeks so probaby shouldn't even be considered as a prospect)

IMO it should be LA vs Ottawa, then NYR vs Detroit.

So a lot of things are cleared up. Some people might find it crazy, I personally find the discussion quite interesting, that we agree or not, thank you for your participation

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well first of all, all of those leagues are not in the same tier. Liiga and the swiss league are definitely a step down from the SHL and KHL.

And yeah its a tier below them, for sure.

Yes, if youre looking at prospects and their chances of success, and referencing their success in the norwegian league, its fair to point out that even the most successful of players from that league (with one single exception in history) have not gone on to successful NHL careers.

I agree KHL and SHL are a step above. I would probably have the AHL in the same tier. Then Liiga+++, then another tier where there is Norway somehwere, then another tier with 2nd division (Allsvenskan probably in the same tier as Norway)

But the point was never about Balcers developping in Norway, he only played there 1 year after being drafted... Obviously, Balcers was drafted as a long shot as a 5th round pick. He has progressed a lot over the years.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Like I said, exceptional status, name recognition, draft position, etc it doesn't last forever. As I said above, pretty normal that he was initially higher on prospects list.

Mant his pissing match is getting hard to follow along with but you constantly shitting Veleno is getting tiresome. Exceptional status, name recognition and draft position dont last forever is such a bad take on Veleno.

Veleno absolutely dominated the Q in his post draft season. For guys who played more than 25 games Veleno led the league in goals per game,points per game and short handed goals. This is a league where Lafreniere played more games than Veleno and he still did that. You want to compare him to a guy like Abramov who barely finished in the top 10 in points per game and isnt a threat on the PK or anything. Youre ignoring the fact that Veleno was leading team Canada in ice time and wearing a letter on the way to a gold medal at the world juniors inlcuding over 25 mins played in the gold medal game. He went to the AHL a year earlier than Canadian juniors do and had a slow start with a strong finish after the world juniors. ANd you want to say its name recognition/exceptiona status that gets him hype and compare him to a guy like Abramov.

Absolutely brutal analysis.

Then youre going to ask if theres anything that has shown he will be better than Tierney. When Tierney was playing his post draft year on a stacked london team he was finishing 5th in team scoring and going under a point per game while Veleno was leading his league in goals/points per game and leading Canada in ice time at the world juniors. Tierny has turned into a solid player but Veleno has way more pedigree and has been way more impressive than anyone you have compared him too in this thread. Velenos defensive game makes something like Tierney a low end expectation for him. Obviously he could end up comparable to him, but right now signs are pointing that hes going to be the better player. Backlund is the more reasonable comparison for Veleno giving the way hes tracking right now

Theres also no real reason to believe that Brown is on some different level of prospect than Rasmussen, theyve literally put up comparable numbers at every level, were drafted in similar spots etc etc. Claiming one is a different tier than the other is bad anaylsis

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And realistically if we're going to compare trios or anything like that like has been mentioned in here why not just legit compare their top dogs

The combo of Seider, Raymond and Zadina is better than a Stuezle, Sanderson, Norris/Brannstrom trio.

I think on the high end Seider is arguably the top D prospect in the game right now and I think while Stuetzle might be ranked marginally higher, he still has more to prove and its not a significant difference either way. Even if you want to say slight edge to Ottawa in top ranked prospect, the Zadina/Raymond combo is noticeably better than Sanderson and Norris who are both pretty studly in their own right.

I think you want to make it a quad type thing and add Brannstrom/Berggren it becomes really interesting. Berggren is a lot harder to get a read on but hes lighting it up right now and Brannstrom has been considered a top puck mover for a while. Hard to call that race. Brannstrom struggled at the NHL level and wasnt all that impressive internationally last year while Berggren hasnt proven he can play on small ice.

The list goes on, you can add Veleno and Forementon/whoever Ottawa would have next (probably Forementon though) and its still really similar calibre of players.

Youre literally splitting hairs with these guys. I think it hinges on which German you prefer. A right shot, 6'4 minute muncher that plays mean is my preference but I think I might be in the slight minority on that and could see why people would disagree. I do think however that the advantage of Zadina/Raymond over a Sanderson/Norris is larger than any difference youre going to see between a Veleno and Forementon type comparison though. Gonna end up being one of those things where on paper theyre close enough that either side could be right to be realistic

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
how many collective hours have you guys wasted writing novels at each other?
tbh it's hard to find the time in between all the awesome social activities, parties, traveling, watching NHL hockey, going to concerts and going into the office with all the co-workers that I'm doing this year.

(posting on message boards dedicated to a common interest in wasting time that other posters are wasting time IS in itself a waste of time)

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
tbh it's hard to find the time in between all the awesome social activities, parties, traveling, watching NHL hockey, going to concerts and going into the office with all the co-workers that I'm doing this year.

(posting on message boards dedicated to a common interest in wasting time that other posters are wasting time IS in itself a waste of time)
I was going to read this but don’t have the time

Reactions: HyPnOtiK

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mant his pissing match is getting hard to follow along with but you constantly shitting Veleno is getting tiresome. Exceptional status, name recognition and draft position dont last forever is such a bad take on Veleno.

First, there's no pissing match. Outside of Pavel calling my logic "dumb" once, it has been a pleasant exchange. It seems like people can't discuss hockey on a message board without it being a pissing match? We are arguing, what else do you expect when people disagree on something? No one is forcing you to read.

So Veleno being a safe bet to end up as a Chris Tierney level player is SHITTING on him? A decent/good 2-way center who has averaged 44 pts per 82 GP the last 3 years?

Ok maybe your expectations are more realistic, I don't know.

Regarding Veleno exceptional status, there's plenty people in Quebec who think he didn't deserve it (posted a link in post #280). I think it has been dismissed for a long time now. Name recognition kinda go with that as well. Like I have said repeatedly, I have watched him play since 2015. And you?

Draft position : he was a late 1st (30th OA), exactly like Tom McCollum in 2008. He dropped big time in the draft as these 12 sources had him 14th on average (see link below)

We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

But anyway, I obviously can't speak for RW fans but for Sens fans, draft position and name recognition doesn't last very long it seems. The 19th OA from the previous 2019 draft and Finland's captain at the last WJC is about to exit our top-20 :laugh:

Veleno absolutely dominated the Q in his post draft season. For guys who played more than 25 games Veleno led the league in goals per game,points per game and short handed goals. This is a league where Lafreniere played more games than Veleno and he still did that. You want to compare him to a guy like Abramov who barely finished in the top 10 in points per game and isnt a threat on the PK or anything. Youre ignoring the fact that Veleno was leading team Canada in ice time and wearing a letter on the way to a gold medal at the world juniors inlcuding over 25 mins played in the gold medal game. He went to the AHL a year earlier than Canadian juniors do and had a slow start with a strong finish after the world juniors. ANd you want to say its name recognition/exceptiona status that gets him hype and compare him to a guy like Abramov.

I'm not ignoring anything (and Pavel has fed me some valuable information on Veleno). I have repeatedly said that Veleno is a safe bet to be a NHLer, and a good 2nd/3rd line center. In what world is it a negative take?

The point in comparing him to Abramov was to show that there's many who can have really great seasons in the Q. It doesn't make them "world beaters". Abramov was first in scoring in the Q in 2016-17 (younger than when Veleno had his great season) and 2nd in 2017-18 (as he was stucked in the Q because of transfer agreement and not very motivated to start the year)

If you want to compare Veleno more to Lafreniere than Abramov (who I don't see having a long NHL career by the way), you are absolutely FREE to do that. I'm still not going to agree with it and if I'm discussing it with someone, I will let him know.

Absolutely brutal analysis.

That much worse than your "analysis" post #64? Ok

And just below you seem to say that Tierney is also realistic... Weird.

Then youre going to ask if theres anything that has shown he will be better than Tierney. When Tierney was playing his post draft year on a stacked london team he was finishing 5th in team scoring and going under a point per game while Veleno was leading his league in goals/points per game and leading Canada in ice time at the world juniors. Tierny has turned into a solid player but Veleno has way more pedigree and has been way more impressive than anyone you have compared him too in this thread. Velenos defensive game makes something like Tierney a low end expectation for him. Obviously he could end up comparable to him, but right now signs are pointing that hes going to be the better player. Backlund is the more reasonable comparison for Veleno giving the way hes tracking right now

Backlund is not a bad comparison. I would say that is his ceiling if all goes right while Tierney would be his floor. I really don't see what's so "brutal" about all this but anyway, I have no interest in pissing matches :sarcasm:

Theres also no real reason to believe that Brown is on some different level of prospect than Rasmussen, theyve literally put up comparable numbers at every level, were drafted in similar spots etc etc. Claiming one is a different tier than the other is bad anaylsis

What am I supposed to say here? You have obviously already decided that your analysis capacity is better than mine that is just "bad" or "brutal"

Watch some games/highlights, let me know when you see Rasmussen (or even Veleno) able to do some of the stuff that Brown is able to do. That being said, I never said Brown was on some different level. It was more with Norris and Brannstrom that Pavel's Dog say were on the same level, which I totally disagree (like most hockey fans except a few Red Wings fans would). I still have Brown ahead but not by much

It's funny but the "tone" of your post is actually more the beginning of a pissing match than what you were accusing us to have. Kinda ironic :laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
how many collective hours have you guys wasted writing novels at each other?

As much as I can afford. Although I'm kinda very fast for reading/searching/writing so these posts can take maybe 30-45 mins depending.

I'm not someone who spends much time on video games/porn so I save a lot of time there (I know thse are among the main constructive activities for men!). I play with my kids everyday, walk my dog everyday (and take him to the dog park), do a bit of business everyday, take care of properties but yeah it helps when you don't work much. It might change after covid though as I was actually planning to buy a new business

Hockey is one of my big passions, I actually need to feed that passion and without the Sens and much NHL hockey in a while... it's lacking.

haha yeah but hey Pavels, if you need to save the time, we can stop here. It was a pleasure and like I said we can revisit in the future. We'll be right on some things, and wrong on some others for sure.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And realistically if we're going to compare trios or anything like that like has been mentioned in here why not just legit compare their top dogs

The combo of Seider, Raymond and Zadina is better than a Stuezle, Sanderson, Norris/Brannstrom trio.

I think on the high end Seider is arguably the top D prospect in the game right now and I think while Stuetzle might be ranked marginally higher, he still has more to prove and its not a significant difference either way. Even if you want to say slight edge to Ottawa in top ranked prospect, the Zadina/Raymond combo is noticeably better than Sanderson and Norris who are both pretty studly in their own right.

I think you want to make it a quad type thing and add Brannstrom/Berggren it becomes really interesting. Berggren is a lot harder to get a read on but hes lighting it up right now and Brannstrom has been considered a top puck mover for a while. Hard to call that race. Brannstrom struggled at the NHL level and wasnt all that impressive internationally last year while Berggren hasnt proven he can play on small ice.

The list goes on, you can add Veleno and Forementon/whoever Ottawa would have next (probably Forementon though) and its still really similar calibre of players.

Youre literally splitting hairs with these guys. I think it hinges on which German you prefer. A right shot, 6'4 minute muncher that plays mean is my preference but I think I might be in the slight minority on that and could see why people would disagree. I do think however that the advantage of Zadina/Raymond over a Sanderson/Norris is larger than any difference youre going to see between a Veleno and Forementon type comparison though. Gonna end up being one of those things where on paper theyre close enough that either side could be right to be realistic

Like I said in my first comment in this thread, "I like the Wings top-5". Actually I should have said top-4 because I probably would have it over the Sens top-4. You totally forgot Drake Batherson in your comparison who has constantly been ranked above Norris and Brannstrom. It would be more like this :

Raymond vs Stuetzle
Seider vs Sanderson
Zadina vs Batherson
Berggren vs Norris

But I think it's very close and it could tilt for the Sens in the near future. I think Sanderson will rise very quickly so it will change everything. Batherson/Norris is also super close to Zadina/Berggren while these players are different.

It's after that I think it's not close at all (and I guess that would be most people's opinion, which would explain the poll results)

Wallinder vs Brannstrom
Rasmussen vs Formenton
Veleno vs Pinto
Johansson vs JBD

Mastrosimone vs Brown
Niederbach vs Jarventie
Hanas vs Greig

Is the Wings prospects order good like that? I look on your board and there was no ranking done... I'd be curious to see a concensus ranking among Wings fans...

I know you'd probably have Veleno at 5 but don't want to compare him with a D-man in Brannstrom. It would also be closer with Pinto (but seems to be breaking out on top of his breakout last year, IMO not close at all).

And even after that top-11, there's still some pretty good/decent prospects left for Ottawa

Balcers, Kleven, Abramov, Daccord, Sokolov, Sogaard, Thomson, etc

vs

McIsaac/Viro/Tuomisto/???

Note : Brannstrom wasn't "struggling" in the NHL last season. He was a 20 y/o undersized D-man getting his feet wet in the NHL. The points didn't come but he didn't look out of place at all, particularly not during his second stint. He also didn't play internationally

I see that you think Veleno/Rasmussen are a "similar calibre of players" with Pinto/Formenton, personally I think it's a tier below. But it's ok to agree to disagree

What would be your top-10/12 for the Wings?

Crow

May 19, 2014
LA and OTT looks fairly even. I would give it slightly to LA. That depth down the middle plus an arguably higher potential on top.

NYR very deep, but really lacking a high end center prospect makes them not the best of the bunch. Great goalie prospect and laf separates them from and perhaps makes up for a lot of that, but goalie prospects arent typically extremely high in value.

DET is last of the four. Not too far behind, but I’m not as high on their top end talent as I am the rest.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
At the risk of being flayed, I couldn't help but find Byfield, Turcotte, and Kaliyev somewhat disappointing at the WJC. Kaliyev came up with that huge goal against Finland, but he seemed one dimensional and not very aware. Turcotte was a turnover machine and got carried by Zegras. Byfield had that monster game in the 10-0 win against Switzerland, but other than that was eclipsed by the other forwards on his team.

Not trying to knock on them because it's just one tournament, but that was my impression as someone with no skin in the game.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
At the risk of being flayed, I couldn't help but find Byfield, Turcotte, and Kaliyev somewhat disappointing at the WJC. Kaliyev came up with that huge goal against Finland, but he seemed one dimensional and not very aware. Turcotte was a turnover machine and got carried by Zegras. Byfield had that monster game in the 10-0 win against Switzerland, but other than that was eclipsed by the other forwards on his team.

Not trying to knock on them because it's just one tournament, but that was my impression as someone who was completely dialed in watching USA and Canada's games.

Did you not watch the gold medal game? Turcotte was definitely a standout positively

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Elmer Söderblom was more impressive than Quinton Byfield..

..just saying

Not saying much. Half of team Canada was better than both. That being said, he's a full year younger and played on 3rd line instead of top line of Sweden's. In fact, a lot said Soderblom was slowing Raymond down and Neiderbach replaced him. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with your post.

Some might argue Niemela had better WJC at 18 than Seider. We gonna mention that too?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not saying much. Half of team Canada was better than both. That being said, he's a full year younger and played on 3rd line instead of top line of Sweden's. In fact, a lot said Soderblom was slowing Raymond down and Neiderbach replaced him. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with your post.

Some might argue Niemela had better WJC at 18 than Seider. We gonna mention that too?
I thought it was obvious my comment was tongue-in-cheek, guess not lol.
Disucssing prospects is just for fun, and making anything out of 5-7 game tournaments is silly, that was the point I was making.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Only people who woulda said that didnt watch the tournament. Soderblom and Raymond didnt play together except on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad