Value of: Best offer for Tom Wilson?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
What does Alex DeBrincat do when he’s not scoring? The answer is, he’s worthless and for at least his last season the scoring was declining.

What does Tom Wilson do when he’s not scoring. The answer is, he helps you win in a multitude of ways.

If the trade was Wilson for DeBrincat, sure a case could be made. But given what OTT will want and how much DeBrincat will have to be paid, the calculus is much more involved and far less favorable for DeBrincat.

“Worthless”

This is stupid…even if the puck isn’t going in and he’s not racking up points for a stretch, he’s still a positive player.

Drives play and generates chances pretty consistently.

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Tom Wilson has been a very good player, and had a good career, but the track record for Power Forwards heading into their thirties isn't particularly good. Even Wilson himself has missed quite a bit of time the last couple of years.

Teams looking for a Tom Wilson for the next few years, would be better off trying to establish who the next Tom Wilson would be, than overpaying for what will likely become a declining player.

I get your point but with how rare and hard it is to find such a player on top of having to wait for the player to develop if you do happen to find him, you’re probably assuming just as much if not more risk in drafting a player (with presumably a pretty high pick) then just acquiring Wilson and hoping he still has some tread

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
“Worthless”

This is stupid…even if the puck isn’t going in and he’s not racking up points for a stretch, he’s still a positive player.

Drives play and generates chances pretty consistently.
In OTT DeBrincat scored around 1/2 of his Points (both Goals and Assists) on the PowerPlay. That’s not driving play.

If DeBrincat was a play-driver as you claim, why would OTT, starving for offense, 12th worst in the League in Goal Differential (behind the Capitals, surprisingly) be trying to move DeBrincat? It’s because they figured out what everyone else has figured out, DeBrincat is an exquisite but complementary and extremely situational player. He is massively and obviously flawed and the one area in which he excels is the single strongest area of the Capitals game for the past roughly 18 years. The Capitals don’t need DeBrincat to do what DeBrincat does, they need someone who does exactly what DeBrincat doesn’t which is namely drive play and score at EV. I couldn’t possibly hate Debrincat’s fit on the current iteration of the Capitals any more than I do and I suspect I’m not alone.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
My gut says that their rebuild-ish... philosophy right now includes grabbing futures, investing in Hershey/SC Stingrays and pro development, holding onto their picks, but re-upping guys like Wilson if he'll stay. It's definitely a hybrid path, and not about accelerating a rebuild, not with 8 and 19 in the fold.

Of course there will be good offers for Wilson as he nears the expiration of his contract, but I don't think they see tearing it down as an option. Wilson is one of the key pieces that differentiates whether the Caps are packing it in or extending the contention window a bit longer. They deal him, and I think it pushes Ovechkin to ask for a trade. They don't even want to risk that, in my opinion.

They will do a wholesale rebuild, eventually, but not before 2025 or 2026.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
In OTT DeBrincat scored around 1/2 of his Points (both Goals and Assists) on the PowerPlay. That’s not driving play.

If DeBrincat was a play-driver as you claim, why would OTT, starving for offense, 12th worst in the League in Goal Differential (behind the Capitals, surprisingly) be trying to move DeBrincat? It’s because they figured out what everyone else has figured out, DeBrincat is an exquisite but complementary and extremely situational player. He is massively and obviously flawed and the one area in which he excels is the single strongest area of the Capitals game for the past roughly 18 years. The Capitals don’t need DeBrincat to do what DeBrincat does, they need someone who does exactly what DeBrincat doesn’t which is namely drive play and score at EV. I couldn’t possibly hate Debrincat’s fit on the current iteration of the Capitals any more than I do and I suspect I’m not alone.

Because he apparently doesn't want to extend there....it's a two way street.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Man I love it when people just make up narratives to suit their arguments........

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Would love him on a multi-year deal but his age and injuries are a concern. He's the kind of guy that would pretty much with any sort of team, wether rebuilding, on the bubble or contending.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Man I love it when people just make up narratives to suit their arguments........
OTT was 18th in the League in Goals Scored with 259. - Bottom Half of the League. Meaning OTT was the 15th worst Goal Scoring Team in the League - Basically Median at best and almost on par with the Capitals (in their worst season in over 10 years).

OTT allowed the 13th most Goals Against in the League with 270. - Bottom Half of the League

OTT was the 12th worst team in the League in Goal Differential. - Bottom Half of the League.

OTT was below average in scoring and defense and so, unsurprisingly, was Alex DeBrincat.

What exactly did I make up?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
OTT was 18th in the League in Goals Scored with 259. - Bottom Half of the League. Meaning OTT was the 15th worst Goal Scoring Team in the League - Basically Median at best and almost on par with the Capitals (in their worst season in over 10 years).

OTT allowed the 13th most Goals Against in the League with 270. - Bottom Half of the League

OTT was the 12th worst team in the League in Goal Differential. - Bottom Half of the League.

OTT was below average in scoring and defense and so, unsurprisingly, was Alex DeBrincat.

What exactly did I make up?
Oh come on, your not this obtuse, everyone knows why they are trying to trade him and it has nothing to do with his abilities, you know this, yet your still running with this narrative...

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Oh come on, your not this obtuse, everyone knows why they are trying to trade him and it has nothing to do with his abilities, you know this, yet your still running with this narrative...
It has to do with things BOTH related and unrelated to his abilities. Stop trying to make excuses for what DeBrincat is. He’s a fine player, not one you pay $9M nor spend a Top 10 Pick to acquire unless the fit is unquestionable. For WSH the fit is questionable at best

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It has to do with things BOTH related and unrelated to his abilities. Stop trying to make excuses for what DeBrincat is. He’s a fine player, not one you pay $9M nor spend a Top 10 Pick to acquire unless the fit is unquestionable. For WSH the fit is questionable at best
All great, you insinuated that he was being traded because of his abilities, he's clearly not, that was my only point, I never once argued he's a good fit for the Caps, or that he's worth 9m or that you spend a top 10 pick on him, so not sure what your point is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad