Value of: Best offer for Tom Wilson?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Bonus pts for offers that are legit and does a Wilson + Kuznetsov deal.
Kuznetsov contract is probably tough to trade at $8M/yr for 2 more years. That 2nd year really hurts the Canes. Taking on the full contract I might do something like this, but it would need a Wilson extension (at reasonable $):

Kuznetsov, Wilson

for

2023 1st, Jack Drury, 2024 2nd (Flyers)

Would give up more for just Wilson or if the Caps retained on Kuz

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Kuznetsov contract is probably tough to trade at $8M/yr for 2 more years. That 2nd year really hurts the Canes. Taking on the full contract I might do something like this, but it would need a Wilson extension (at reasonable $):

Kuznetsov, Wilson

for

2023 1st, Jack Drury, 2024 2nd (Flyers)

Would give up more for just Wilson or if the Caps retained on Kuz

I suspect that there are some teams out there than don't view Kuz as negative value, though, and that is the offer Carolina should be making.

2 mid to late firsts and a bottom half of the lineup prospect like Drury feels appropriate for Wilson alone but I if I was Washington (given the Ovi situation) I would be hoping for guys closer to playing that 1st round picks which is what makes LA so attractive.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I suspect that there are some teams out there than don't view Kuz as negative value, though, and that is the offer Carolina should be making.

2 mid to late firsts and a bottom half of the lineup prospect like Drury feels appropriate for Wilson alone but I if I was Washington (given the Ovi situation) I would be hoping for guys closer to playing that 1st round picks which is what makes LA so attractive.
Just curious which teams you think would take on Kuz's contract without issues, let alone giving up assets for him. not arguing, truly trying to think of who. Non-contenders wouldn't want him unless it was just to retain and flip for assets but that seems unlikely. Which contenders/playoff teams have a top 6 C opening and can take on $8M for 2 years of an older player who played like a very low end 2C last year?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa would obviously make Debrincat available (assuming Wilson comes with a palatable extension) and I also think there’s a chance we’d make Batherson available. Not sure what other pieces would be involved.

Reactions: Hivemind

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ottawa would obviously make Debrincat available (assuming Wilson comes with a palatable extension) and I also think there’s a chance we’d make Batherson available. Not sure what other pieces would be involved.
Wilson for DeBrincat is the opposite of what Washington should be doing considering Debrincat’s QO and fit on the team, so this is going to be a NO.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just curious which teams you think would take on Kuz's contract without issues, let alone giving up assets for him. not arguing, truly trying to think of who. Non-contenders wouldn't want him unless it was just to retain and flip for assets but that seems unlikely. Which contenders/playoff teams have a top 6 C opening and can take on $8M for 2 years of an older player who played like a very low end 2C last year?

I can see non contenders wanting to buffer their kids and then sell him off as a rental.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'd consider him as a short term rental and wouldn't even seek an extention so my price would be way lower than expected.

I do so based on his recent history of injuries and the fact that he played a style of hockey where his decline will come quick and will be fast

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Avs and Canes have the roster spot, but not sure if Kuznetsov would be their first or second option. But maybe if bigger fish wont bite and the price is right?

Blue Jackets have been making splashes already and wouldnt be suprised if they arent done yet. They also are short on C and have fair share of expendable assets. Thats a team that strikes out to me, but would the Caps be that happy to trade within divisional rival?

Another interesting option could be Predators. Trotz had Kuzy for his prime and Preds could easily affort to gamble and try to revive that magic.

Why not throw Seattle in the mix too. They just made the playoffs and have plenty of cap space. Time to add some asset controlled top line talent?

Id add some Canadian teams but im pretty sure Kuzy blocks those out with his NTC. Anyhow thats 5 teams i could see possible destinations, that maybe atleast one would see it worth to take a shot at. Will it come down to it? Maybe not. We’ll see. Caps are likely to flirt with the idea to see what new coach can do for the fallen ones.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Avs and Canes have the roster spot, but not sure if Kuznetsov would be their first or second option. But maybe if bigger fish wont bite and the price is right?

Blue Jackets have been making splashes already and wouldnt be suprised if they arent done yet. They also are short on C and have fair share of expendable assets. Thats a team that strikes out to me, but would the Caps be that happy to trade within divisional rival?

Another interesting option could be Predators. Trotz had Kuzy for his prime and Preds could easily affort to gamble and try to revive that magic.

Why not throw Seattle in the mix too. They just made the playoffs and have plenty of cap space. Time to add some asset controlled top line talent?

Id add some Canadian teams but im pretty sure Kuzy blocks those out with his NTC. Anyhow thats 5 teams i could see possible destinations, that maybe atleast one would see it worth to take a shot at. Will it come down to it? Maybe not. We’ll see. Caps are likely to flirt with the idea to see what new coach can do for the fallen ones.
Vegas could want him being a GMGM draft pick. But they might not have the cap space.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Gotta consider the offer. WIlson is about as safe a player as you can get from trades, but LA (TOR as well) could net a haul that could quickly rebuild the org (along with the #8 pick). You don't jump at it, but you don't hang up the phone immediately either.

Who's got the best Tom Wilson trade in the bidding war? Must include 1 blue chip under 24 player, plus.

Go.

I posted this trade in a couple other threads but never had any discussion around these pieces:

To WSH:
Marner
2023 1st (WSH)

To TOR:
Wilson (extended)
Kuznetsov

Is this something that would be in the ballpark?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You're nutty. DeBrincat is precisely the right asset to get in a Wilson trade.
DeBrincat is an undersized Winger with a $9M Qualifying Offer who for his career has scored fully 1/3 of his Points (Goals and Assists) on the PowerPlay. He feasted as the best scoring option on a bottom-feeding Hawks team and already took a production hit on a better team in OTT. What do you think happens to his production on a PowerPlay with a focus on set-ups to his off-wing where one of the highest Volume-Shooters and most effective PP Goal Scorer of his generation just so happens to reside? It plummets is what. DeBrincat is the wrong player.

Wilson was precisely so effective in a scoring role this season because he could bury rebounds in the crease off Ovi shots (ala Knuble). I have zero faith DeBrincat can perform that role.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
DeBrincat is an undersized Winger with a $9M Qualifying Offer who for his career has scored fully 1/3 of his Points (Goals and Assists) on the PowerPlay. He feasted as the best scoring option on a bottom-feeding Hawks team and already took a production hit on a better team in OTT. What do you think happens to his production on a PowerPlay with a focus on set-ups to his off-wing where one of the highest Volume-Shooters and most effective PP Goal Scorer of his generation just so happens to reside? It plummets is what. DeBrincat is the wrong player.

Wilson was precisely so effective in a scoring role this season because he could bury rebounds in the crease off Ovi shots (ala Knuble). I have zero faith DeBrincat can perform that role.

They wouldn't be adding DeBrincat simply to sign his QO. They would add him and sign him to a longer term contract, at a more reasonable AAV. Qualify then negotiate a 5-8 year deal.

You know who DeBrincat's center was on that Hawks team? Dylan Strome. You know who centered DeBrincat for two years in Erie before that? Dylan Strome. You know who plays for the Capitals now? Dylan Strome. It's a pairing that has synergy and chemistry dating back to nearly 10 years ago at this point. They worked together well in the OHL and they work together well in the NHL.

I give approximately zero shits if a player is "undersized" if they are able to produce results in the NHL, and DeBrincat produces results in the NHL unquestionably. We don't know what the Caps powerplay will look like next year at this point (with Forsythe finally gone and with hopefully significant roster changes underway), but I would be stunned if any halfway decent PP coach couldn't integrate a player the caliber of DeBrincat into the Capitals powerplay. Even in their previous formation, his quick snapshot and ability to find soft ice would do well in the slot role. And even in that season in Ottawa, he would still have been second on the Capitals in total goals and total points (third in the EV versions of both).

There's tons of other complimentary player options out there, and already on the Capitals, for playing opposite of Ovechkin. They don't need to commit the millions and term it will take to keep Wilson in order to find Ovechkin a third wheel on his line. What the Capitals need is more players capable of creating their own offense, capable of being the catalysts for their own lines. DeBrincat is one of those types of players.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They wouldn't be adding DeBrincat simply to sign his QO. They would add him and sign him to a longer term contract, at a more reasonable AAV. Qualify then negotiate a 5-8 year deal.

You know who DeBrincat's center was on that Hawks team? Dylan Strome. You know who centered DeBrincat for two years in Erie before that? Dylan Strome. You know who plays for the Capitals now? Dylan Strome. It's a pairing that has synergy and chemistry dating back to nearly 10 years ago at this point. They worked together well in the OHL and they work together well in the NHL.

I give approximately zero shits if a player is "undersized" if they are able to produce results in the NHL, and DeBrincat produces results in the NHL unquestionably. We don't know what the Caps powerplay will look like next year at this point (with Forsythe finally gone and with hopefully significant roster changes underway), but I would be stunned if any halfway decent PP coach couldn't integrate a player the caliber of DeBrincat into the Capitals powerplay. Even in their previous formation, his quick snapshot and ability to find soft ice would do well in the slot role. And even in that season in Ottawa, he would still have been second on the Capitals in total goals and total points (third in the EV versions of both).

There's tons of other complimentary player options out there, and already on the Capitals, for playing opposite of Ovechkin. They don't need to commit the millions and term it will take to keep Wilson in order to find Ovechkin a third wheel on his line. What the Capitals need is more players capable of creating their own offense, capable of being the catalysts for their own lines. DeBrincat is one of those types of players.
DeBrincat is not one of those players despite your protestations otherwise. DeBrincat went to a decent team with playoff aspirations in OTT and absolutely under-performed, fact. Most players become LESS PowerPlay-dependent on good teams, not MORE. Guess what happened to DeBrincat in OTT? He become even more PP-dependent (scoring nearly 50% of both his Goals and Assists in OTT on the PP). Yet he still under-performed. Where did he lose production? Oh that’s right, at EV. The Caps don’t need another guy who can feast on the PP, they have plenty. They need guys who can score at EV. Guess who, for their entire career, has done quite a bit of EV scoring (practically all of his scoring, in fact?)?? You know the answer now say it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
DeBrincat is not one of those players despite your protestations otherwise. DeBrincat went to a decent team with playoff aspirations in OTT and absolutely under-performed, fact. Most players become LESS PowerPlay-dependent on good teams, not MORE. Guess what happened to DeBrincat in OTT? He become even more PP-dependent (scoring nearly 50% of both his Goals and Assists in OTT on the PP). Yet he still under-performed. Where did he lose production? Oh that’s right, at EV. The Caps don’t need another guy who can feast on the PP, they have plenty. They need guys who can score at EV. Guess who, for their entire career, has done quite a bit of EV scoring (practically all of his scoring, in fact?)?? You know the answer now say it.
Almost nothing you said in there was true.

I'll put it this way. In Alex DeBrincat's 6 year NHL career, he already has 23 more Even Strength goals than Tom Wilson does in his 10 year NHL career. Tom Wilson has outscored Alex DeBrincat just once at even-strength in the six seasons they've both been in the league.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Almost nothing you said in there was true.

I'll put it this way. In Alex DeBrincat's 6 year NHL career, he already has 23 more Even Strength goals than Tom Wilson does in his 10 year NHL career. Tom Wilson has outscored Alex DeBrincat just once at even-strength in the six seasons they've both been in the league.
What does Alex DeBrincat do when he’s not scoring? The answer is, he’s worthless and for at least his last season the scoring was declining.

What does Tom Wilson do when he’s not scoring. The answer is, he helps you win in a multitude of ways.

If the trade was Wilson for DeBrincat, sure a case could be made. But given what OTT will want and how much DeBrincat will have to be paid, the calculus is much more involved and far less favorable for DeBrincat.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I wouldn’t give one blue chip u24 piece for wilson never mind add.

To be fair, my team isn’t competitive so I’m not your target market but hard pass at that valuation. It’s robbing peter to pay an older Paul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad